General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:38 pm 

Hello People :) ,
If some of your files have gone, it's not an issue or matter to bother as you can easily recover those files just by using recovery software. In my case, it was not the files loss, actually i had been confronted with the damaged hard disk's partitions. When my partition was damaged not single but number of files i was about to lose. Later i found a software which helped me to recover damaged partition. Amazingly the software recovered my damaged partition. So this software can even help you in recovering of files. If you want you can download the trail version and can see the possible outcomes.

Regards
Laine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:23 am 

Guys,

is Knoppix better than ubuntu? I tried to put the HDD on an Ubuntu system and I had absolutely no luck with it. I will try today to boot on Knoppix and pray that everything goes well. I have to say, after this experience I started to hate iOmega :)

Cheers,
B.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:16 am 

Ubuntu should work fine. What do you mean with "absolutely no luck with it"?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:29 am 

Well, I have tried multiple scenarios :)

1) I installed Ubuntu on my macbook using VirtualBox - I got no luck back then - the hard-drive from the Iomega NAS was plugged in to the mac and recognized by the mac. The mac is seeing this hdd as a hdd without a partition map.
2) I booted on another computer - the HDD was directly connected to the SATA of the computer - somehow this was the strangest part. I tried on this CPU Ubuntu and the HDD wasn't seen at all there. I assume that maybe there's a CPU issue :-).

What I try to do now:
1) create a bootable knopix usb.
2) connect the hard drive on a first step to the PC with the USB rack - if I don't succeed, connect directly via SATA port.

Any other suggestions? :) They're highly appreciated! I have my life on that hard drive... This determined me to buy cloud storage once everything is recovered :)))))

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:25 am 

bogdanhh wrote:
Well, I have tried multiple scenarios :)

1) I installed Ubuntu on my macbook using VirtualBox - I got no luck back then - the hard-drive from the Iomega NAS was plugged in to the mac and recognized by the mac. The mac is seeing this hdd as a hdd without a partition map.

If you want to do this you'll have to map the drive to your virtual box. I'd recommend using a live cd/live USB drive anyway, that makes things less complicated
bogdanhh wrote:
2) I booted on another computer - the HDD was directly connected to the SATA of the computer - somehow this was the strangest part. I tried on this CPU Ubuntu and the HDD wasn't seen at all there. I assume that maybe there's a CPU issue :-).
did you connect the power?

bogdanhh wrote:
What I try to do now:
1) create a bootable knopix usb.
2) connect the hard drive on a first step to the PC with the USB rack - if I don't succeed, connect directly via SATA port.

Knopix should work, though you can also create a live USB for ubuntu or another distro if you want that.
bogdanhh wrote:
Any other suggestions? :) They're highly appreciated! I have my life on that hard drive... This determined me to buy cloud storage once everything is recovered :)))))

Is the nas the only place you have your data on? That's never a good idea. Important data should have at least 3 duplicates, one of them off-site and on at least 2 different storage media (eg. cloud, nas and your pc/laptop) NEVER ony have 1 copy of your important files, even if that's in the 'cloud'. The 'cloud' is not infallible. There are plenty examples of data getting lost even though it's in the 'cloud'.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:10 am 

Hi!

I booted on knoppix a couple of minutes ago and plugged the hard drive via the USB dongle. I don't really know if knoppix is seeing it or not.

With sudo fdisk -l I get to see the hard drives that the computer has + the usb stick from which I booted in Knoppix - nothing else.
Any suggestions? Any skype ID for some "live" support?

KR
Bogdan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:47 am 

Update.

The hard-drive can be "seen" now, but it can't be mounted.
Error is "can't mount superblock".

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:41 am 

Update.

I downloaded on windows some Diskinternals tools:
-bitlocker and
-uneraser.

They seem to see the drive as a "Bitlocker" partition (?!?). Now I begin really to hate Iomega. I'll keep you posted if it works.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:09 am 

bogdanhh wrote:
The disk contains 3 partitions, from which 2 should be mountable, and 1 not. (That one doesn't contain a filesystem). You can't mount the disk itself.
bogdanhh wrote:
They seem to see the drive as a "Bitlocker" partition (?!?). Now I begin really to hate Iomega.
Because Bitlocker can't handle Linux partitions?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:11 am 

Negative. I couldn't find a way so far to recover anything. I reached a dead end. Any ideas, suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:24 am 

Small mistake - the bitlocker is the windows partition.

Still, error is "can't mount superblock". You're right, I do see 3 partitions in Linux but I wasn't able to do anything with this "can't mount superblock" error. It seems that I'm not the only one with this issue.

Mijzelf wrote:
bogdanhh wrote:
The disk contains 3 partitions, from which 2 should be mountable, and 1 not. (That one doesn't contain a filesystem). You can't mount the disk itself.
bogdanhh wrote:
They seem to see the drive as a "Bitlocker" partition (?!?). Now I begin really to hate Iomega.
Because Bitlocker can't handle Linux partitions?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:05 am 

Re-reading the thread I can't find any clues whatever happened to your system. A 'can't mount superblock' error can be a filesystem error caused by a power outage or something like that (although rare, the XFS filesystem is pretty stable), but it could also be caused by bad sectors.

You can't mount both the bigger partitions? What does 'dmesg | tail' give directly after a mount attempt.

What is your goal? Are you trying to recover data, or are you trying to revive the box?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:33 pm 

recover the data - that's it. Revive the box - never.

The I will try to attach either a screenshot, either copy/paste the dmesg.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:18 pm 

Just to be clear: How did you connect your drive to your linux pc? I may have just read over it, but it isn't clear to me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:10 am 

Driminicus: both ways - directly on SATA and with USB.

In both cases the HDD is visible. It seems that the HDD is not damaged - it can also be seen in Windows & OS X with the possibility to format it. My goal is not to do that though :-)

So, I'm 99% sure that the HDD works. I do think that there is some strange encryption in place and this doesn't allow me to see the partitions on the hard drive. I ordered a new Iomega - the plan is to put the HDD in the box, get the data out, format it, send the box back and format the HDD afterwards. I don't plan on using iomega products never ever again. I'll go for some cloud technology...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next