General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:33 am 

Did you actually manage to install OpenMediaVault on the iomega home media network hard drive?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:20 pm 

I was suffering from the same issues, my unit would become accessible for a minute or 2 then disappear, what I had noticed was that the orange light had been on for a while (showing it was full) I took the power cable out for a while, then reconnected and in the short period it was available proceeded to delete about 150GB of content. Since then it has been right as rain (about 8 hours and a lot of access ago).

I am not saying this will help but it could be worth a shot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:08 am 

I know this topic is a bit old, as-is the device itself at this point - but I've been having problems with mine for well over a year now, and I'm just now getting around to trying to fix it. I spent some time on it when the issues first started, but I ended up just buying a new USB drive and hosting the shares from my PC, which is almost always on anyway. I would, however, like to get my money's worth out of this thing if possible - so I'm open to any suggestions anyone might have. I'm definitely interested in more information about the OpenMediaVault option that was suggested in @Rhuobhe's last post - can you please provide more details about how you got that working on the device?

I also read @paddytaylor's comment about the solid orange light indicating that the drive is full (I had just over 56GB available), so I'm deleting a bunch of unneeded data now to see if this will help - however, according to the documentation I found (http://iomega.nas-central.org/wiki/Leds_on_the_Home_Media which I couldn't find anywhere on Iomega or Lenovo's websites), a solid orange LED indicates >85% full, and flashing orange indicates >95%. I don't see any reason that the drive being nearly full should affect its performance, especially considering that, from what I could tell when I mounted the drive in another system, the OS is on a separate partition. Anyway, I've deleted some data as I've been typing this (now my capacity LED is off indicating <70% with ~493B free) and surprisingly the web interface does seem to be a bit more responsive now, although browsing via UNC is still slow. I will report back if this improves the overall performance and/or stability of the device long-term...

:arrow: Here's my story:
  • Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive
  • P/N: 31803000
  • Model: MHNDHD
  • Purchased approx 2-3 years ago, worked fine for several months with hours of use daily streaming media.
  • I can't remember when or why I updated the firmware to 2.064, or what the previous firmware version was - but this was done at some point.
  • At first I would just have random issues streaming media from other devices in the house. For example, I'd be streaming video via XBMC and it would just stop playing, and XBMC would no longer be able to connect or display the shares or media. Sometimes it would start working again after a few minutes and rebooting XBMC, other times I had to reboot the NAS - but it would pretty much always start working again without too much hassle.
  • I ran a repair of the disk from within the web interface, but this didn't seem to have any effect.
  • I started having these issues more and more frequently, and would have to reboot the NAS more frequently instead of just waiting it out. Often it simply wouldn't work, and I'd have to just turn everything off and try again later.
  • Eventually I started having the same issues maintaining connections to the shares while copying or downloading data to them, and I started having trouble accessing and using the web interface. This was when I finally broke down and bought a new drive. I was able to copy most/all of the data from the Iomega to the new drive, but it took several tries and some creative scripting. I'd have to start my script and let it run until it was disconnected, turn off the NAS for a while, then start the script again and have it pick up where it left off. Once all the data was copied to the new drive, I put this one aside and forgot about it - until now...

:!: The latest:
  • After sitting for a year or so, I finally pulled it back out to see if I could get it working properly. At first I had trouble even connecting to it, I think because I had previously set a static IP in a different subnet than I am currently using. I held the reset button for about 60 seconds (just to be sure), and sure enough I saw it show up in my list of DHCP clients. After about 5 minutes of flashing blue LED's, I was finally able to connect to the web interface and browse the shares - but both were extremely slow (pages in the webui taking 1 minute or longer to load, and shares taking equally as long in Windows via UNC path).
  • Once I got into the web interface, I was surprised to see that all of the settings had not been reset as they should have been. In-fact, it looked like the only things that changed were the admin password which was blank/disabled, the network address configuration which was set to automatic, and the workgroup name was set back to 'WORKGROUP'. Everything else was still there including my machine name, NTP settings, users, and permissions.
  • The first thing that I noticed was that there was a newer version of the firmware available (2.104 available here: https://lenovo-na-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/custom_detail/a_id/30582 / http://download.iomega.com/english/hmnhd-firmware-update-2104.zip), so I tried installing it. The web interface accepts the firmware file, examines it, says it is being installed, then says it is rebooting - however, when the device finally comes back online (after ~5 minutes) it still shows firmware version 2.064. I've tried this several times from a couple of different computers with both Firefox and IE, but I always have the same results. I contacted support about this issue today, and they did not have a solution. I did-not have my serial number at the time, so they would not help me any further - so I will be following up with them tomorrow.
  • I tried resetting the factory defaults from within the web interface, but once again most of the settings were retained - it only reset/cleared the admin password. I tried upgrading the firmware again after the factory reset, but had the same results.
  • I pulled the disk out of the casing and mounted it on another system which was able to read the disk, but since I am a Windows guy I wasn't able to get into the Linux file system. I could set something up if necessary, so I'm open to suggestions.
  • After re-installing the disk, I ran the repair utility within the web interface again which completed fairly quickly (maybe 10 minutes), and had no effect.
  • I tried disabling the iTunes and DLNA option on all of the folders (only a couple had these options enabled), but this had no effect.

:?: What's Next:
  • I will follow up with support tomorrow and see what, if any, suggestions they have. If they give me anything helpful, I'll post it here.
  • If support can't help, and freeing up some drive space doesn't make it more stable, I will most likely resort to enabling telnet and root access (http://iomega.nas-central.org/wiki/Home_Media_Enable_Telnet_And_Root_Access) to see if I can figure out what's going on and/or install OpenMediaVault or some other compatible OS and see if I have any better luck.

For the record, I'm a Microsoft Certified IT Pro with many years of experiencing working with technology, so I know what I'm doing - but, once again, I'm open to any suggestions, advice, solutions or workarounds that anyone might have!

Thanks for your time, and good luck to all! :P

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:22 pm 

EriqStern wrote:
I pulled the disk out of the casing and mounted it on another system which was able to read the disk, but since I am a Windows guy I wasn't able to get into the Linux file system. I could set something up if necessary, so I'm open to suggestions.
Aside from calling support (note that this nas is an old one and no longer in production) this is probably the easiest thing to do. Once you've mounted the disk in a linux environment (you can simply use a live-disk on USB) you should probably check the SMART data to see if the disk is still dying. If that is all fine, the best catch-all solution is reinstalling the firmware. You can follow this guide and if you skip the 'format data partition' step you can probably save all the data that is on there.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:40 am 

Hey guys,

I was having the exact same problem most of you are having. The NAS would become unresponsive after a random amount of time. After months of irritation, I was fiddling with the setting of the NAS and disabled the media server capability, since then the NAS has not become unresponsive for over a week now :D

I am running firmware version 3.2.3.15290.

However, one of the main reasons I bought this NAS was to use it as a media server with my Smart TV, oh well

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:13 pm 

Hi, I see this post is an old one, but I also see that there are a lot of cut price Iomega / Lenovo iX2 NAS on the market at the moment. I've bought three and have them configured at 8TB each. I've also experienced units becoming unresponsive - to the web interface, the network / file shares, and the on/off button not working. I've upgraded to the latest firmware, but same issue.

After calls with support (not much help) and having re-set units to out-of the box settings, cleaned HDDs in the process, I have found a 15 minute solution that doesn't loose any data and a;; the messing around that comes along with that.

Once the unit is unresponsive there is little one can do to get its attention other than pulling the cord. After reconnecting power it doesn't take long for the ix2 to become unresponsive again. So here is the first work-around to stop the unit from becoming unresponsive after restart:

- Power-down the unit (by pulling the power cord). Once powered-down, remove the front cover of the NAS and remove one HDD, leaving one HDD inserted. Start the nas. It detects the missing drive and after a minute or so will be accessible via the interface and be highly responsive. Login and navigate to http://[nasdrive ip address]/manage/diagnostics.html Select the support files tab and tell the unit to create a dump file. This will take a few minutes to create. Once complete, power down the NAS properly, re-insert the missing disk and remove the other disk. Repeat the dump file creation for the second disk, then power the unit down again. Now insert both disks and your NAS drive should power-up and work normally after a couple of minutes of frantic disk activity as it works out everything is back to normal.

Second work-around to prevent it happening again:

- It's early days yet, but I think I have found the cause. Login to the management console and select 'Drive Management'. Click 'Settings' and de-select the 'enable periodic consistency check'. In my tests - this is what is killing the NAS. Apply the changes.

Enjoy a responsive NAS once again.

Hope this works for you too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:16 pm 

Ragamuffin wrote:
Hi, I see this post is an old one, but I also see that there are a lot of cut price Iomega / Lenovo iX2 NAS on the market at the moment. I've bought three and have them configured at 8TB each. I've also experienced units becoming unresponsive - to the web interface, the network / file shares, and the on/off button not working. I've upgraded to the latest firmware, but same issue.

After calls with support (not much help) and having re-set units to out-of the box settings, cleaned HDDs in the process, I have found a 15 minute solution that doesn't loose any data and a;; the messing around that comes along with that.

Once the unit is unresponsive there is little one can do to get its attention other than pulling the cord. After reconnecting power it doesn't take long for the ix2 to become unresponsive again. So here is the first work-around to stop the unit from becoming unresponsive after restart:

- Power-down the unit (by pulling the power cord). Once powered-down, remove the front cover of the NAS and remove one HDD, leaving one HDD inserted. Start the nas. It detects the missing drive and after a minute or so will be accessible via the interface and be highly responsive. Login and navigate to http://[nasdrive ip address]/manage/diagnostics.html Select the support files tab and tell the unit to create a dump file. This will take a few minutes to create. Once complete, power down the NAS properly, re-insert the missing disk and remove the other disk. Repeat the dump file creation for the second disk, then power the unit down again. Now insert both disks and your NAS drive should power-up and work normally after a couple of minutes of frantic disk activity as it works out everything is back to normal.

Second work-around to prevent it happening again:

- It's early days yet, but I think I have found the cause. Login to the management console and select 'Drive Management'. Click 'Settings' and de-select the 'enable periodic consistency check'. In my tests - this is what is killing the NAS. Apply the changes.

Enjoy a responsive NAS once again.

Hope this works for you too.

are you talking about the Home Media Network Hard Drive ? this periodic check option is not available in the standard UI.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:56 pm 

EriqStern wrote:
I know this topic is a bit old, as-is the device itself at this point - but I've been having problems with mine ...

[*]Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive
...version of the firmware available (2.104 available here: https://lenovo-na-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/custom_detail/a_id/30582 / http://download.iomega.com/english/hmnhd-firmware-update-2104.zip), ...
[*]I will follow up with support tomorrow and see what, if any, suggestions they have. If they give me anything helpful, I'll post it here.
Thanks for your time, and good luck to all! :P

Anyone help with a similar problem? I think I have the same HDD Network Drive Home Media 1TB, SN T5EA33BANV. Do not know the model, but the iomega storage manager calls it "Iomega-13b46f."

Problem: the drive and folders disappear ("disconnected network drive") from our PCs.
Normally there are standard folders: ActiveFolders, backups, movies, music, photos, public. These have drive letters U,V,W,X,Y,Z. Very useful.
However, they become inaccessible.

Curiosity: the router utility recognizes it is connected. I can ping the IP address OK. However, trying to mount (\\192.168.1.2) will not connect.

Power cycling the drive seems to restore them for a while.
I have used both manual and DHCP IP assignment (with a DHCP fixed based on the units MAC address). This is so we can always find/mount it. The white light is on steady.

It is on Firmware Version : 2.104. The iomega storage manager shows the folders, but not the drive letters. The HDD comes up by putting the IP, 192.168.1.2, into the browser or clicking 'configure' on the storage manager home screen. It shows what appears to be about the right amount of total and used storage.
On trying "Create Shared Folder" the result is "The path for the share is not valid. Please select a valid folder."

iomega.com has disappeared with no forwarding. Support is no longer there.

Any suggestions - other than get a new drive?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:09 am 

It sounds like something went wrong in the samba configuration. Do you have ssh or telnet access?
If so:
you can check whether samba is running with ps aux
check the configuration file of samba, which I think is at /etc/samba/smb.conf but I don't know for sure off the top of my head.
You could also check the log files at /var/log

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:29 am 

My personal history recovering Iomegas MHNDHD :

Just Yesterday i sucessfully restored two identical Iomega´s "Home Media Network Hard Drive"
This tutorial is awesome, because i sucessfully restores with different hdd sizes, from 160GB to 2000Gb !
They are now working happy with 2TB Hard Drives !!!
Thanks to Mijzelf !