General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon May 01, 2017 12:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: NAS Becomes Unresponsive
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:53 am 

Hello. I have the 1TB version of the Iomega Media NAS. Starting today, I noticed that I wasn't able to connect to it over the network and when trying to use the web interface, it would respond with a "404 - Not Found" on a blank white page but I am able to ping it. The only way to revive it was to pull the power plug. After waiting about 5 minutes I could access it again but this only lasts for about 10 minutes after which I have to pull the power again. I've tried the disk repair and restoring to factory defaults. The white light is solid on top and the bottom light is out except during boot up when it flashes blue. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I'm running firmware 2.064.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:35 am 

The LED behavior seems normal. When you get a 404, it means the webserver is still running, it just can' t find the page you asked for.
You asked for suggestions, well, I suggest you to get rootaccess, and login via telnet, and look for logfiles in /var/log which might tell what is wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:53 am 

I was able to telnet in and view the log files when I still had access to the NAS. There was nothing in the log files that looked useful. Once I received the 404 error, telnet became inaccessible but I could still ping the device.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:37 pm 

Are you sure you don't have a second device using the same IP address? When you disconnect the NAS, you can't ping the IP anymore?

Did you check the free space on sda1? (You can use the df command for that) A full system disk can give weird results.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:49 am 

I have the same problema. Somebody has any idea?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:45 am 

About two weeks ago I encountered a similar or even the same problem:

• the device was no longer accessible by UPnP clients after some time of proper working
  • the web interface reported a 404 error
  • the device could no longer be powered off using the power button

Since yesterday the device is only accessible via my PC for a short period in time during startup (a few seconds only). After that, it's not responsive anymore (including the non-working power button).

Might the problems be related to the TwonkyMedia server?

Has anyone encountered (and perhaps solved) similar problems?

Thanks in advance

wk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:45 pm 

first post! (and excuse me for reviving an old(er) post with nothing more then even more questions)

Just wanted to report the same problem as pointed out above. Cause(?):

-nas kept losing network, when it was present I couldnt stream a movie, webinterface loaded so slow that images timed-out.
-tried to reboot (holding power button for 4sec), but power button wasn't responding anymore.
-hard reboot didn't really help (powerplug in/out: present on network, but inaccessible)
-reset pinhole button didnt help (prolly screwed it up even more: webinterface 404 error page, inaccessible)
-got the disk out, usb-sata to my linux computer > all my files seem to be lost (folders are still there, space is still taken, permissions: nogroup, noowner) get alot of io errors at with the 'dmesg' command
-got the disk back in, no improvement (duh) (power button broken, webinterface broken (404), present on network but inaccessible)

The only way to fix it would seem to be a manual restore right (flash, partition), or is there a quick, n dirty solution to restore the thing ('factory reset'). I dont care about the data.

P.s. this was a non-rooted device.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:17 am 

I have the same issue does any one know the fix for this yet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:02 am 

Same problem here, i tried everything to solve the problem but i coudnt .. i even deleted the device by attaching it to sata and reinstalled the firmware again.. still didnt solve the problem !!!!! :?: :?:

The device web server stops working and i cant access the login page or even my shares on the network (although i can ping the device)..

The only way to solve the issue is to unplug the the power wire .. it will work for 15 minutes to 2 hours and then will stop again..

i figured out that unplugging the network wire and re plugging the wire will register on the log .. which i can only see after restarting the device.. which means the device is running but the services is crashing ..

i have read somewhere that opt in "keep connection alive" on certain routers may solve this issue but my router doesn't have this option to try.

i really suspect this is something to do with firmware and not the hardware !

iomega home network cloud edition (2TB)
firmware:3.2.3.15290
my router : Apple Airport Extreme 5th gen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:22 am 

edubai wrote:
iomega home network cloud edition (2TB)

You are in the wrong forum. The CE is really a totally different box than the 'classic'.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:06 am 

Just wanted to know if anyone has found a solution? I have the same problem, where the drive goes unresponsive to telnet, web or any shares mounted via windows 7.

the good thing is that I recovered my data but every time after I go through the process of reinstalling the firmware, the drive stops working after a few minutes. ping works but the web interface or telnet doesn't. I only see a solid white LED and the only way to revive this unit is to unplug / plug the power.

I looked at the dmesg and I didn't see any errors.

My drive is a MHNDHD 1TB

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:25 pm 

Hi all,

I have the same issue. I have so far tried;

* taken disk out, mounted in Centos, e2fscked sdb1
* xfs_checked sdb2
* reinstalled firmware
* formated sdb1 and reinstalled firmware

It stays alive for a while and then vanishes, i.e. Loses visibility through SMB and DLNA, telnet stops working, but I can ping it, the http://<IP> responds with 404 not found AND http://<IP>:9000/webbrowse lists files and I can access them, suggests the OS is running in some form.

SMART readings suggest I have some issues, but find it strange that twonky will keep working, or partially, whilst the others fail.

Whilst I shop around for my next NAS (a new disc is only a few quid less than a new NAS) is tere anything I can do to stabilise the box?

Ta

Ben

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:09 pm 

Oh dear, seems I'm not the only one. :roll:

viewtopic.php?f=242&t=10663

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:00 am 

I am having the same issue. I have an RMA pending.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:10 am 

UPDATE: LenovoEMC (Iomega) sent me an RMA with the same issue. Support is not very helpful :roll: They seem knowledgeable but they simply do not own the device and do not understand the issue, so they blame the network on the user end. I am 200% sure this is a problem with their latest firmware that cannot be rolled back.

I ended up installing OpenMediaVault and everything works fine. If you are having the same problem I suggest you do the same.