Thanks and Pedantry

Gav

Thanks and Pedantry

Post by Gav » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:40 pm

Hi, thanks for the guide to installing a new disk and adding firmware. Please note that the last command is wrong and it should read 'tar -xzf /full/path/to/sda1-2064.tgz' not 'tar -xzf /full/path/to/sda1-2064.gz'. On applying the command it did not actually give any errors about unresolved symlinks. All went very smoothly, cheers. The included Seagate was dying after a year or so of use, which is disappointing, but the replacement WD10EADS works faster and quieter.

Is there any chance of some form of SFTP being workable for remote access? I did note that in one of the guides it is stated that it causes problems. However I wouldn't want to access via FTP if I was out of my home network.

Thanks again for a very handy site.

Mijzelf

Re: Thanks and Pedantry

Post by Mijzelf » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:34 am

Gav wrote:Please note that the last command is wrong <snip>
Feel free to edit the wiki.
Is there any chance of some form of SFTP being workable for remote access? I did note that in one of the guides it is stated that it causes problems. However I wouldn't want to access via FTP if I was out of my home network.
I suppose you are referring to the problem that apt-get can screw some webinterface functions? AFAIK Optware doesn't have this problem, and the Optware package openssh-sftp-server is available.

Gav

Post by Gav » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:28 pm

Thanks, I have edited the wiki and will look into the sftp server when I get an hour.

Driminicus

Post by Driminicus » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:13 pm

Sorry to bump this old thread. I was wondering if anyone got sftp working. I currently use ftpes with the build-in vsftpd server, but I'm looking into getting sftp working for safety reasons.