General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:04 pm 

Hello, all
It's my first post in this forum, i've searched in the forum and google but found nothing related to my problem.

I've 2 HMNHD, one with 1 month and another with 1 year, recently i had to replace the network switch so i've bought a gigabit switch (TP-LINK TL-SG1008D), and connected all my network to this switch, all devices connect with no problems (1 Desktop PC, 1 Devolo PLC, 1 LACIE EDMini NAS and 1 HMNHD with 1 month), but the older HMNHD with 1 year doesn't connect to the switch (the light in whichever port i try doesn't light up). I've connect it through a 100Mb switch connected to the gigabit switch and it works, but with limited speed of course. Also disconnected all other devices and connected only this HMNHD to the gigabit switch and nothing.

The initial firmware was 2.063, i've updated to 2.064 but with no luck solving this problem.

What can i do to solve this?

Thank you in advanced.

P.S. I'm portuguese, sorry if there are any mistakes!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:11 am 

Sounds like a bad cable. When you have a defective cable (twisted pairs distributed wrongly) it is possible that it works fine when forced to 100Mbit (by connecting one of the ends to a 100Mbit device), but fails completely when used in a gigabit LAN. The gigabit devices won't fall back to 100Mbit because the cable seems alright. (All 8 wires are connected).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:16 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
Sounds like a bad cable. When you have a defective cable (twisted pairs distributed wrongly) it is possible that it works fine when forced to 100Mbit (by connecting one of the ends to a 100Mbit device), but fails completely when used in a gigabit LAN. The gigabit devices won't fall back to 100Mbit because the cable seems alright. (All 8 wires are connected).

I've also tried several cables, even tried the cable that is on the other working HMNHD.

Another thing that i tried is connected both to the 100Mb switch, they both work fine, but what is diferrent between them is that when i disconnect both on the power button, on the new one the light on the corresponding port (on network switch) stays allways on and on the older one goes off, thus giving the idea that besides the same part number the internal hardware is different!

Both devices are Home Media Network Hard Drive and P/N on both stickers on the back is 31803000 - MHNDHD - Thailand.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:02 am 

For what it's worth: My switch has no LED burning when the NAS is off. But I don't know if the box will do gigabit, as I don't have a gigabit network. (Of course it's supposed to)

Mine is labeled 31802900 - MHNDHD - China.

I can hardly imagine the hardware would be different. There is almost nothing in the box. But the only way to find out is to open the boxes and look. And when you're up to that, you can also exchange the harddisks, to find out if it's software related.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:58 pm 

Well, I just got the same problem as my Portuguese friend. I can connect through a Linksys 10/100 ethernet switch but not through a Dynex gigabit switch I just bought in order to extend my Gbit network and do some media sharing from that NAS. I do get other devices connecting on the Dynex switch, same port that the iOmega does not connect.

Can anyone think why a NAS that features gigabit ethernet connectivity cannot connect through a gigabit channel, but can through a 10/100 switch?

Many thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:30 am 

Have you tried connecting it directly to a pc with a gigabit ethernet card? (you'd officially need a cross cable, but most network ports don't care about that anymore.)
You'll have to set the IP manually in the http frontend.
I've done it once when I took the drive with me on vacation, worked fine.

If the gigabit connection works in a direct connection with a computer you might have some more info to debug.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:53 pm 

Hi, been able to solve this problem? I just bought a switch like yours and my Home media hard bought in 2010.
This not connect at 10 or 100 or 1000. No link LED lights.
All other devices work well at 1000 (PC and my new Synology NAS)
Regards,
Daniel

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:18 pm 

daniepr0 wrote:
Hi, been able to solve this problem? I just bought a switch like yours and my Home media hard bought in 2010.
This not connect at 10 or 100 or 1000. No link LED lights.
All other devices work well at 1000 (PC and my new Synology NAS)
Regards,
Daniel

Wait, so you changed the switch and now the HMNHD is not working at all? Or is it only working at 10 and 100 Mb/s?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:15 am 

Quote:
Wait, so you changed the switch and now the HMNHD is not working at all? Or is it only working at 10 and 100 Mb/s?

It works whith the 100 Mbps switch. It doesn't work whith the tplink gigbit switch at any transfer rate. The link led on tplink switch doesn't turn on as if it wasn't plugged.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:44 am 

Allright, thanks for the clarification.
I think I can help to get some basic troubleshooting out of the way. If there's an error in the firmware or something I probably can't really help you other than showing how to reinstall your firmware (a guide for that is here.)

First the most obvious: have you tried a different ethernet cable? Do you use a cat 5e/cat 6 cable?

Second, try to connect the NAS to a pc directly. You have to set a static IP on your HMNHD, you can do this in the http frontend. Next connect a pc and your nas via 1 ethernet cable (if you have a slightly modern pc a normal lan cable should do fine, for older you need a cross cable.) After setting a static IP (in the same range as you set for the nas) on your pc you should be able to access the HMNHD by going to \\*IP HERE* or for a more basic test just ping.
Check that and see how that goes, check the connection speed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:49 pm 

I just bought a TP-Link TL-SG1005D (the 5-port version), and my HMNHD seems to work just fine with it. Speed is about double what it was with the HMNHD on a 100 mbps port, so it's definitely connecting at gigabit speed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:42 am 

I just bought the same 8 port gigabit switch. When connected, the light doesn't light up and does not connect. But when i connect it back to my 10/100 switch, it works fine.

I even followed the guide to re-format and reinstall the software on the HMND. Still nothing.

So then i tried connecting my HMND to my computer directly with a crossover and that works.

Anybody have any ideas how I can fix this? The switch works fine with all my other computers.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:10 am 

Hi,

I had the same issue with the TP-Link switch (TP-LINK TL-SG1008D). No connection.

i now changed the switch into a D-Link DGS-108 and it worked directly.

Regards,
tom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:59 pm 

Same problem here. I tried using a new gigabit switch without success.

tomste wrote:
Hi,

I had the same issue with the TP-Link switch (TP-LINK TL-SG1008D). No connection.

i now changed the switch into a D-Link DGS-108 and it worked directly.

Regards,
tom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:02 am 

Hi,

I just find some threads about the same problem in another hardware who seens to use the same network card:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg201147.html

Whell, the problem is how to implement the fix. ((-: