Telnet disappeared ?

ritslinux

Telnet disappeared ?

Post by ritslinux » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:47 am

After getting Telnet (and root-access) to work yesterday, I noticed it is gone when I checked this morning.

I could not telnet anymore, nmap shows also port 23 closed.
A reboot did not change it, still no port 23 open.

How is this possible ? I could start again and upload the tgz-file but somehow it looks not permanent.

Mijzelf

Re: Telnet disappeared ?

Post by Mijzelf » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:05 pm

More people have reported that behavior, but I have never reproduced it. AFAIK you can just reinstall the patch to reopen telnetd. Maybe it's a good idea to install dropbear. Better and safer shell, and AFAIK it never disappears.

ritslinux

Post by ritslinux » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:21 pm

Followed your advice and did a re-install of the tgz-file: telnet is now up and running again :)
Why it suddenly disappeared I do not know, but I keep track on it when it happens again.

I also added dropbear like you advised, so I have both ways (telnet & ssh) to login now.

Thanks again.

btw your name...Mijzelf..probably Dutch-speaking.....so do I :)

Dank nogmaals

puck61

Post by puck61 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:28 pm

Hi, I've got the same problem, telnet access has disappeared. To fix the problem, I have removed the disk from its enclosure and hooked to my computer via USB. Then I have only edited the inetd.conf file. Then I have put the disk to its enclosure again, started again and everything was OK. Logged as nascentral user then as root and the logged out. Couple hours later tried again telnet, timed out.

I am afraid that very frequent removing the disk from its enclosure will destroy the fan connection.

Driminicus

Post by Driminicus » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:34 pm

I'm not sure how it works, but my HMNHD does the same. I think installing the patch again will re-enable telnet.
I installed dropbear and use putty. I'm actually glad that telnet is disabled again, just one less security issue to worry about. Dropbear works just fine for me.