MAC Address

nheuer

MAC Address

Post by nheuer » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Hello All

I was wondering if you could help. I am new to Linux (first time ever using it was loading the Iomega image to my drive) and can use some help in getting my MAC address changed. The drive is up and functioning fine after I followed the wiki but I am not really clear on how to change the mac address.

Would anyone be able to give me a simple run down/how to, or is it more complicated than that. The version of linux I am using is Ubuntu.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Mijzelf

Re: MAC Address

Post by Mijzelf » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:16 pm

You can just edit f /etc/modules.
There is a line

Code: Select all

gmac mac_adr=0x00,0xD0,0xB8,0x12,0x34,0x56
The digits are the MAC address, a bit unconventional syntax, but understandable, I suppose.

It is possible that the address will revert due to a firmware update, but then you can easily change it back.

nheuer

Post by nheuer » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:32 pm

Perfect thanks for the info.

Just so I do not mess anything up all I have to do is in the terminal with root access type:

/etc/modules

and then it will show:

gmac mac_adr=0x00, 0xd0, 0xb8, 0x09, 0x68, 0x1e

So I can just type over what it shows and that is it or do I have to enter a command to save or write the changes?

nheuer

Post by nheuer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:49 am

Ok so I am getting a Permision Denied when i enter

/etc/modules

I did enter

sudo su

and the terminal looks like this

root@ubuntu:/home/heuer #

Is it not letting me into the file because I am not the original owner? If so how do I get into it?

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:58 am

You need to use an editor. Don't know which editors are available on clean Ubuntu. Try nano.
And, the file is not /etc/modules, it's relative against the mountpoint. Run 'mount' to find the mountpoint, it's something in /mnt or /media, I think. Then execute

Code: Select all

nano /mountpoint/of/NASdisk/etc/modules

nheuer

Post by nheuer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Thank you for all your help, I will try that tonight.

I did enable Telnet as per the wiki, would I be better off using telnet rather than ubuntu, I really do not like having to keep pulling the hard drive in and out of the case. would hate to loose a good 2 tb drive.

If I used telnet would it be the same as what you stated above or a differnt way?

If all else fails I can call in a favor from a friend who knows Linux, I just like to do things myself so I can learn.

Again thanks for all your help it is greatly appreciated.

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:08 pm

Of course you can do it locally on the NAS, if you like it. In that case you don't need to add the mountpoint, the file is just /etc/modules. But I don't think nano is available as editor, I think the only available editor on the NAS is vi, which isn't pleasant to use.

nheuer

Post by nheuer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:29 am

Looks like I was finally able to get it changed using telnet and the vi editor.

All is working fine.

thanks for all the help.