General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:41 am 

First I would like to thank all the folks who have created the nas-central community and shared their tips & tricks enabling us to get more out of the boxes we have bought!! Would specially like to thank "Mijzelf" for his detailed posts on various hacking items. without him providing the instructions and the downloads I would bricked the box by now.

When I bought the HMNHD I had two objectives
1. Time Machine
2. Use the uPnP/DLNA feature for my Logitech Squeezebox Radio

Unfortunately both are not usable at the moment. I know iOmega is working to fix Timemachine after Apple changed this in OSX Lion. SO will wait for that.

I would really appreciate some guidance on any leads I can get on making the Logitech Squeezebox Server (now called Logitech Media Server). I tried fooling around a bit but have no success. I tried building it on the HMNHD but gets tons of compile errors, I tried SSODs but they don't work either. Any help/pointers will be greatly appreciated...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:55 am 

whitelp wrote:
I tried building it on the HMNHD but gets tons of compile errors,
I've no experience with SqueezeServer, but when I look at the download page, it strikes me that the precompiled packages for NASses (Netgear) are much smaller than the full-blown Linux packages. (20MB vs 96MB). So I suppose the 'full blown' version either has lots of transcoding possibilities, or has a GUI. (Or both). You should disable these options in you build. The needed libraries aren't provided, and the box won't support it anyway.

BTW, the ReadyNAS packages might be able to run on your NAS.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:36 am 

Hi Mijzelf

Thanks for your response, I was looking forward to it. I will try the readynas package and report.

BTW any fix for Timemachine? I know for this we need t update the Netatalk package to 2.2.1. I tried compiling this (adopted instructions from a website that was me ants for WD MyBook World Edition) but does not work successfully, It needs AFP 3.X support which is not showing up in the compile (./configure) step.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:11 pm 

whitelp wrote:
BTW any fix for Timemachine?

This might be an option. (Scroll down to the comment of JEE67). Though I never tried, I think the box should be able to run FFP. Basically this is a self-containing Linux tree installed in /ffp. To install it, download and unpack fun_plug.tgz somewhere on your data partition. Then create a symlink /ffp pointing to it. FFP is started by running /ffp/etc/rc. By default it will only start an telnet server, but according to JEE67 it could also host netatalk.