General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:20 pm 

Hi,

I recently got a 1TB home media drive and just wondering what way to best set this up.

I'm a musician and I intend to use the device primarily for archiving recording projects.

I've got a macbook pro with a 500GB drive for timemachine backups, the iomega unit and a 1TB seagate portable drive for backing up the iomega drive and storing off-site.

I also have a sony blu ray player that I'd like to use with the unit and a printer that I would like to network (USB, no ethernet).

I've found archiving the mac via wifi to the iomega very slow so I've taken to copying to the portable seagate and then syncing this to the iomega using 'copy jobs'......I'm wondering if its worth plugging the mac into the ethernet?

also, can I use a USB hub with the iomega? ....I'd like to plug the printer and the blu ray into the back of the unit and keep the front usb free for the seagate.

if anyone has any suggestions for my set up, that would be great.

cheers,

Darren

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:11 pm 

dazzathedrummer wrote:
I also have a sony blu ray player that I'd like to use with the unit and a printer that I would like to network (USB, no ethernet).
You should be able to plug in the printer and access it via the network. I've tried it for a little while with an old printer. It worked for me but not reliably, this might be because the printer was old. I have a new one anyway.
I'm not sure what you mean by using a blu-ray player with your nas. Could you elaborate?

dazzathedrummer wrote:
I've found archiving the mac via wifi to the iomega very slow so I've taken to copying to the portable seagate and then syncing this to the iomega using 'copy jobs'......I'm wondering if its worth plugging the mac into the ethernet?
I noticed quite a big difference between wifi and wired ethernet. I reach about 10 or 11 MB/s, using a 100Mbit network. If that is acceptable for you, a wired connection might be worth it.

dazzathedrummer wrote:
also, can I use a USB hub with the iomega? ....I'd like to plug the printer and the blu ray into the back of the unit and keep the front usb free for the seagate.
I would try and see, but I cannot tell you if that is possible. Some other more knowledgable people here will probably be able to tell you.
[edit]wait, my HMNHD has only one usb port. do you happen to have the cloud edition?[/edit]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:50 am 

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late response, I forgot to tick 'notify...'!

The printer seems to work fine through the network so that's ok, the integrated scanner doesn't seem to be recognised over the network though - not a major issue as it doesn't get used much.

Re the Blu Ray - I am able to plug a usb memory stick or hardrive into my Blu Ray and play music/movies from it - I was just wondering if its possible to plug the iomega into the blu ray or detect the iomega from within the blu ray given that the blu ray is networked via ethernet.

Also, now i'm into this a bit more - with remote access, is it possible to stop the 'shares' showing unless a user is logged in? - as it stands (I think) anyone that knows the domain name can access the folders on the drive (?) - if I remove the shares from the home page, the individual users cant access the folders.
It would be better if the shares were not visible on the home page until the user logs in - is this possible?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:11 pm 

dazzathedrummer wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late response, I forgot to tick 'notify...'!

The printer seems to work fine through the network so that's ok, the integrated scanner doesn't seem to be recognised over the network though - not a major issue as it doesn't get used much.
I don't think its possible to use the integrated scanner. It might be if there are drivers available for linux specifically for your printer. I could be possible to install those drivers and use samba to share the printer and scanner. It will most definitely require tweaking, if it's no big issue I'd advice against trying this. If you really want to try, there are probably people around here that can help you, I'm not sure I'd be able to help you to get it working.

dazzathedrummer wrote:
Re the Blu Ray - I am able to plug a usb memory stick or hardrive into my Blu Ray and play music/movies from it - I was just wondering if its possible to plug the iomega into the blu ray or detect the iomega from within the blu ray given that the blu ray is networked via ethernet.
I'm not sure how your blu ray player works, but I think it should be possible for the player to reach the movies you have on your NAS. You will not be able to connect your NAS to the blu ray using USB, but it should be possible using the network. I think it would work with upnp, using the built-in twonky server of the HMNHD, or maybe via the samba shares. It is probably something you have to configure on your blu ray player, not on the nas.

dazzathedrummer wrote:
Also, now i'm into this a bit more - with remote access, is it possible to stop the 'shares' showing unless a user is logged in? - as it stands (I think) anyone that knows the domain name can access the folders on the drive (?) - if I remove the shares from the home page, the individual users cant access the folders.
It would be better if the shares were not visible on the home page until the user logs in - is this possible?
I'm not sure how this works. I think you have the Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive Cloud Edition. I don't have the cloud edition so I can't answer you're question. You can try reading the manual, maybe its specified there. Or you can try the cloud edition forums here. If you dont have the cloud edition I'll look into how this works on my nas (as I never use remoted access).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:18 am 

excellent, thanks for the response. It is a cloud edition - I didn't spot that there is a forum for that specifically - found an answer to the remote access question.

cheers,

Darren

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:10 pm 

Glad I could help.