Manually update firmware?

SamZ

Manually update firmware?

Post by SamZ » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:47 am

Hi guys. I have a 1TB HMNHD stuck on the ancient 1.029 firmware – it refuses to update to 2.040 through the browser interface. Is there any way to manually update the firmware through manually accessing the file structure (where exactly is the firmware held?) or would the only way be to wipe the disk and try the new disk method?

I don't think I can get telnet/root access with this firmware so either way I'd need to jump into Linux and access the XFS files through there, right? Any input would be hugely appreciated.

Driminicus

Re: Manually update firmware?

Post by Driminicus » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:46 pm

Using this guide you should be able to install the new firmware. You should skip the step: 'Format data partition', if you don't want to lose your data. It will require you to remove the harddrive, boot into linux on a pc and follow the guide.
As far as I'm aware that will be the only option other than flashing using the webinterface.

Have you tried updating to 2.038 first?

SamZ

Re: Manually update firmware?

Post by SamZ » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:17 pm

Thanks Driminicus, I think I'll try that when I get the chance.

I thought of trying the 2.038 FW but I couldn't find it anywhere...does anyone have a copy or know where to find it on the web? It probably won't work either but it's worth a try.