General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:42 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:00 am 

All,

I have a 1TB Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive unit that is approx 18 months old. All was well until it became inaccessible from my home network and upon investigation it seems upon re-boot that there is a fault and it never boots up properly. The web based config that we all use, only partially loads and when clicking one of the options, it just sits there forever.

So, I removed the drive from the enclosure and booted up from a virtual image of Unbuntu and this can see the drive from an external caddy, except I cannot see any data on it! I understand the Iomega uses a special XFS Linux file system, which I understood the Linux 2.4 Kernal supported, but I cannot access any data.

So, I then downloaded geeksnerds XFS file recovery, and ran a scan, and this tool does indeed find what I would have expected to see on the drive. All the folders and files that I would expect can be seen, so I am thinking that maybe the enclosure was not at fault, but maybe the XFS file system has become corrupt.

I think I have two options available to me, but would appreciate any suggestions from anyone.

1) Buy the geeksnerds software (£150) but I am not sure the data on the drive is worth the expense and time to recover it, as most of the data is backed up elsewhere (probably 10% of the data is not backed up in other places).

2) Buy a second hand unit and put the old drive into the the enclosure and see what happens.

Are there any other options, such as?

3) Use software tool to repair the XFS file system?
4) Are there any other things I have missed that might be useful to allow me to recover the data?
5) Are there any other diagnostics I can do on the Iomega unit to try and diagnose more?

Any help is much appreciated. I have stored the drive away, but I really do want to retrieve that data if possible.

Cheers, Mark.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:50 pm 

It sounds like your harddrive has failed but the NAS hardware is fine otherwise. In that case, buying a 2nd hand HMNHD won't help.

In this thread you can find Mijzelf giving the advice to use PhotoRec to recover lost files, which is a free program. I haven't tried it myself, since my disk never failed, but he usually gives sound advice.

Once you've recovered the files, you could try and reformat the disk, and reinstall the firmware using this guide.

If that doesn't work you could try to use the guide on a new disk and place that in your HMNHD.

If the hardware on the nas itself failed buying a new disk, of course, will not help, but chances are that the disk failed and the hardware itself is fine.
Before buying a new disk I would recommend trying an older disk in your nas, if you have one lying around; the size shouldn't matter. (as long as its big enough to fit the firmware, obviously.)

[edit]A disk bigger than 2 TB will not work.[/edit]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:15 am 

Have you installed xfsprogs and xfsdump?

Normally you should then be able to work with xfs partitions, and it should all get mounted automatically once you connect the drive in an enclosure.

It's working fine for me... I just downgraded from 1Tb to a 500Gb drive... need the 1Tb drive for another purpose :-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:45 pm 

Hello - I had the same issue, and have found an inexpensive XFS recovery tool that is doing a fantastic job of recovering both files and my file system structure: Raise Data Recovery for XFS, available from Avangate (http://www.ufsexplorer.com/rdr_xfs.php) for just over 20 Euros. It took 7 hours to scan through about 1.2 TB of data on the Iomega drive, and it is restoring the approx. 24,000 files to an external 2TB drive right now. I'll have to do some manual re-naming of directories, but that's about the extent of the pain.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:57 am 

sgerwinat wrote:
Hello - I had the same issue, and have found an inexpensive XFS recovery tool that is doing a fantastic job of recovering both files and my file system structure: Raise Data Recovery for XFS, available from Avangate (http://www.ufsexplorer.com/rdr_xfs.php) for just over 20 Euros. It took 7 hours to scan through about 1.2 TB of data on the Iomega drive, and it is restoring the approx. 24,000 files to an external 2TB drive right now. I'll have to do some manual re-naming of directories, but that's about the extent of the pain.

I would like to thank this information. XFS Recovery is one of the best solution for recover data in HMNHD cause I was able to discover whole structure of my HDD with file names and folders.

For this moment I am not buying this software cause I want to try mounting XFS partition into my Mac in home and maybe I copy directly the files because I guess the partiton was working perfectly

The problem I had some days before was that I begin to hear some "clicks" in some forum called "clicks of death" in my barracuda lp 1TB. After 2 weeks HMNHD stop booting, instead the begining of boot seems good after 30 seconds both LEDS turn off and I can't access NAS.

Reading about seagate problem I tried to repair the SMART inside the console of HDD. I think I change something, maybe something doesn't work good and the next time I tried to boot HMNHD I get a permanent white led and I was not able to access NAS again.

I buyed a new one HDD that is now working good inside HMNHD and the old Seagate Barracuda LP is mounting in a external USB case. For the moment once I run testdrive or PhotoRec the partition is perfectly recognize and I gues that I don't need to recover anything, I need ACCESS to XFS partition.

Raise Data Recovery for XFS shows me every structure of my HDD and looks good. I will try to mount this partition in Mac with FuseFS http://sourceforge.net/projects/fusexfs/ but if not I will pay 20€ for copy my files in my new HDD.

Some question.
Anyone have experience with XFS over Mac?
What do you think for future use of HDD 1TB Seagate once I get every information.
How can I know if SMART is working good? Is it enough formating HDD in HFS+ for working inside s USB external case?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:51 pm 

I have had the same problem. You can use the program to recover data, but if you have a bit more technical knowledge there is also a free solution.

It took me some time and lots of researching, but I finally managed to restore all the files from my destroyed Iomega Network drive. It turns out Iomega uses XFS system in their drives, but it also creates some logical drives. God knows why. It's kind of messy. If you connect the disk to your PC it will not recognize anything. Even Linux will not recognize right away and if you play around you might get the impression the data on your disk is corrupt. Actually it is not. It is just organized in a bit more complicated way then necessary.

So here is the solution in few simple steps.

1. Prepare Knoppix CD and start your computer with Linux instead of Windows.
2. Go to shell, type "su" to become a super user, and then type those magic words: "mdadm --assemble --scan". It will turn all that XFS/Raid Iomega mess into pretty logical volumes.
3. However, they are still not ready to use. The logical volumes are not active. To turn them on type this: "vgchange -a y".
4. It's almost over! The logical volume with your data should be somewhere in /dev/something location now. You can use command "lvdisplay" to find out where is what exactly. Now you just need to mount it. Do it with something like "mount /dev/something/virtualblahblab /mnt/real_folder_with_real_files" - and that's it!
5. Copy all your files from /mnt/real_folder_with_real_files (or wherever you mounted it) to some safer place.

I hope it helps!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:06 am 

Unprofessional wrote:

I have had the same problem. You can use the program to recover data, but if you have a bit more technical knowledge there is also a free solution.

It took me some time and lots of researching, but I finally managed to restore all the files from my destroyed Iomega Network drive. It turns out Iomega uses XFS system in their drives, but it also creates some logical drives. God knows why. It's kind of messy. If you connect the disk to your PC it will not recognize anything. Even Linux will not recognize right away and if you play around you might get the impression the data on your disk is corrupt. Actually it is not. It is just organized in a bit more complicated way then necessary.

So here is the solution in few simple steps....

Awesome! thanks so much. I'm not much of a Linux person but I had a Linux Mint disk lying around so I booted up from that and followed your instructions. I found I had to prefix each command with sudo to make it superuser. Also the mounting instructions perplexed me a little, I did a "sudo mkdir /mnt/ali" first and then mounted to that and then I could browse and copy the files. I was getting close to buying a Raise Data Recovery for XFS licence but didn't need to after your help. I had previously installed Raise Data Recovery and scanned but it still didn't find all of the files, a few were missing, so this way of natively connecting to the data was spot on! Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:13 am 

same question
Anyone have experience with XFS over Mac?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:57 pm 

It is not possibly natively. It could however be possible to find a port of the XFS filesystem to FUSE, which would be a hacky solution, but still work. As far as I remember though, there are no projects on porting XFS to OS X.