General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:17 pm 

Hi to everyone,
I’d ended up in this post because I have a dead IOMEGA IX2-NG (The 2 x 1TB HDD version).
This is what it happened and what I’d tried till the moment.
Last week the NAS started acting strange. Very very slow reads/writes and the web interface was almost unusable until last Monday the red light was on and my IX2 only responded to pings but nothing else…
I took out the disk on bay 2 out of the IX2 and woops it booted again, so I recovered the data.
Then I followed instructions that I found at lenovo’s site saying that to replace an HDD you only had to clean the disk and insert it to the IX2 and magic should happen…
I did that with diskpart, as instructed, I inserted the cleaned HDD into the IX2 (Not a new one, it was the corrupted one), powered it up and magic did not happened! The red light turned on again and it never went off!
I know what you are thinking… may be I didn’t leave it enough time to mirror the other HDD… I knew it could take some time so I leave it for 2 days untouched…
At this point I started testing… no disk, 1 disk, 2 disks, inverted them, all combinations possible with no luck… sometimes it responded to pings but no Web GUI.
Now I am with an untouched HDD and a clean one (the one it was corrupted at first) but none of them boots the IX2.
Both disk are fine. I checked with Crystal Disk Info and it says it’s all OK.
On the disk from bay 1 I can see partitions from linux.
And before wiping the HDD from bay 2 with diskpart, I created a NTFS partition and wrote around 500GB of data with no errors… so I know its operating fine.
Now I want to start fresh with the wiped disk (from bay 2).
I follower all steps that you guys had tried with no success.
What I did:
I downloaded the unencrypted firmware (tried with v3 and v4), unpacked it.
Wrote zImage and initrd with dd if=zImage of=/dev/sdX bs=512 seek=2048 and dd if=initrd of=/dev/sdX bs=512 seek=8192 commands from linux with success (the disk was connected to the PC with S-ATA cable, not with USB to S-ATA).
Formatted a 2GB pen drive in FAT32 and copied into the folder /emctools/ix2-ng_images/ the file imager.tgz (I tried ix2-ng-4.0.2.9960-recovery and ix2-ng-4.1.114.33421-recovery and I can’t remember the version of 3.0 I used). I really don’t know what version was on the IX2 before this happened!
I plugged the USB flash and the HDD (on Bay 1) and powered on the IX2 while holding the power button. First the white light turns on and after 4 seconds both reds. After 15 seconds both redss turns off and the upper red appears and nothing else happens…
The USB Flash wasn’t read at any time because it has a light that turns on when accessed.
I tried with 3 different flash drives (32gb, 2GB and 8GB) all with same results…
Do I have to format the flash drive in a special way?
I tried all this processes with:
-the HDD totally cleaned
-only the GPT file system initialized
-with MBR too…
I don’t know what I’m missing!!! I don’t know how to make it read the USB Flash…
I also tried with reset but it just turn the white light and then the red.
I will appreciate all the help you can give me guys!!!
And sorry for my bad English… I’m from Argentina… I hope you can understand what I did.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:25 pm 

mauxiliar wrote:
I took out the disk on bay 2 out of the IX2 and woops it booted again, so I recovered the data.
<snip>
I inserted the cleaned HDD into the IX2 (Not a new one, it was the corrupted one), powered it up and magic did not happened! The red light turned on again and it never went off!
<snip>
Now I am with an untouched HDD and a clean one (the one it was corrupted at first) but none of them boots the IX2.
So the disk which booted the IX2 after removing the other now doesn't work anymore? Did you do anything with that disk that you didn't tell here?

According to your tests both disks are fine, yet they don't work in your NAS anymore. I wonder if there is a power problem. The external power supply, or the internal DC/DC convertors might be broken, having not enough juice anymore to power both disks, and degrading further, not enough juice to power a single disk.

Quote:
Do I have to format the flash drive in a special way?
Not that I'm aware of. As long as Linux can mount it using the vfat driver it should be fine. But some people reported some usb sticks to fail. So maybe there is a hardware constraint, maybe a timing issue.

Quote:
And sorry for my bad English… I’m from Argentina… I hope you can understand what I did.
Your English is fine. At least the written variant.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:11 pm 

Hi Mijzelf, thanks very much for answering!
I’ll try to give more information.

Quote:
So the disk which booted the IX2 after removing the other now doesn't work anymore?

Exactly… don’t know why. It did work for some hours while I recovered my files. Not very fast I might add but it did the job. After that I wiped disk 2 (the bad one) and reinserted to the IX2 (Bay 2). That was the last time it booted.

Quote:
Did you do anything with that disk that you didn't tell here?

I only plugged into a Windows PC via the S-ATA cable and opened Cristal Disk Info… I didn’t touch the filesystem and I didn’t plugged to the linux PC either.
From Paragon Hard Disk Manager (For Windows) I can see it has 3 partitions.

Quote:
I wonder if there is a power problem

Good advice. I tested the power supply and it gives 12v but it might not be giving the amps that it needs. Today I’ll buy a new one to see if that is the problem. I'll report later.

Quote:
The internal DC/DC convertors might be broken

Whats that? It can be changed?

Thanks a lot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:17 pm 

mauxiliar wrote:
Quote:
The internal DC/DC convertors might be broken

Whats that?
The power supply supplies only 12V. The disk needs 12V and 5V. (And the CPU 3.3V or maybe even lower). A DC/DC convertor is some magic gizmo which can change one voltage in another.
Quote:
It can be changed?
Theoretically yes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:29 pm 

Hi Mijzelf,
I replaced the power supply for a new 12v 3a as suggested but same red light at boot… recovery still won't work either.
I’m thinking on buying the USB to LLC cable to see what’s happening at boot. Will it work with the IX2? I saw somewere a uboot screen displayed in a putty enviroment or something similar.
Another suggestion you have in mind?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:47 pm 

I don't know what 'LLC' means here, but I guess it is 3.3V TTL serial. It's a good idea, and actually the only way to get more info on what's happening.

And yes, it will work. Here is the pinning.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:43 pm 

I meant TTL! sorry. It would work if it's 5v and 3.3v? or it has to be only 3.3v?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:51 pm 

The board has a 3.3V serial port. (Almost all modern SoC's have a 3.3V serial port. Although I have also seen 2.8V). AFAIK a 5V also works, although for low levels of 3.3V the 5V might not be able to see the difference between a 0 and a 1. In which case it doesn't work, of course.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:59 pm 

I have a IX2-DL with solid blue LED and blinking once a second white LED, after replacing the only HDD that crashed in the unit. The HDD was "clean" according to "diskpart" instructions. But that is it. I don't have any linux and do not know how to operate linux, to create the flash pendrive files to boot the IX2 from USB. It would be an angel gift to have the file that needs to be in the pendrive for download somewhere at the net, and some other application to run on Windows that would "format/write" the files into the pendrive. I don't think it is nothing wrong to have it available. Iomega/LeNovo should have it available to help customers with this problem. I can't access the unit via html page, only ping the IP works.

Thank you for any single help.

The desperate user from "LeNovo/Iomega support that does not work".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:01 pm 

@dZone

This is completely incredible. IT WORKED EXACTLY AS YOU DESCRIBED!

My NAS had one failed drive and refused to boot from the remaining drive.

IOmega/Lenovo choose not to make version 3.3.2.29823 available anymore. References to that simply produce a 404. BUT! I did what you instructed with version 4.1.304.34286.

OK, I am a die-hard Linux guy myself so it was not difficult to follow your instructions.

On a side note, I did not wipe the drive completely. Only copied the zImage and the initrd over whatever there still was. This put me on the wrong track when I removed the USB and rebooted. While on the USB, the NAS acquired an IP address from DHCP. But when I rebooted, the NAS set the IP to the manually configured address. Knowing that the NAS uses a DHCP address by default, I tried to use the DHCP assigned address. But it wasn't there anymore because after reboot it used the configured address.

What puzzles me a bit is that things like IP address and administrator password still existed. But the directory tree for the shares had disappeared. But that could be a result of unRAIDing the drive before the recover actions. Not a big deal though.

Well done, dZone. It saved me a couple of $100 and the time to order a new NAS.

jlinkels

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:04 pm 

serafino000 wrote:
Hello,
the recovery file i found it on this page:
https://deepwater.lenovo.com/wiki/index ... =Downloads

Buongiorno a tutti e grazie per il supporto. Il link richiede una password, per favore qualcuno ha i dati di accesso??
Goodmorning everyone and Thanks for the support. The link requires a password, please someone has access data ??

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:14 pm 

serafino000 wrote:
Hello,

yesterday i fixed my ix2-dl with the latest firmware with recovery file.
the recovery file i found it on this page:
https://deepwater.lenovo.com/wiki/index ... =Downloads

when i run the .exe i have an usb stick with all features.
i put the usb stick on linux pc (run on vmware workstation) and i saw the files, i copy the files from vm to my pc and i format my usb as fat32 and i put the files on it:
emctools\ix2-ng_images\imager.tgz (i rename it) and i delete all other files.
from images folder i copy the files on vm to the folder: home/serafino (serafino is the vm name) and i put my hard disk 2Tb with usb kit on vm and i run these comands:

dd if=/home/serafino/zImage of=/dev/sdb bs=512 seek=2048
dd if=/home/serafino/initrd of=/dev/sdb bs=512 seek=8192

then i have secure disconnect the disk from vm and pc and i put it on my nas box, put the usb stick and disconnect the lan cable.
with power button pressed i put the power cable on the nas after 3 seconds the leds are red and after 35 seconds the white led blinking and the blue led light. just now the recovery are started and i leave the power button.
after 8 minutes the nas was will automatically shut down. Unplug the USB disk put the lan cable and power on the NAS.
after 3-4 minutes you can connect to the webinterface(The NAS it has an ip address from dhcp and you must find it).

the unencrypted file i 'll try to put on the internet, when i upload it i put here the link.

thank you.

Hello Serafino, I have same problem whit an ix2-200 that can't boot in any mode for failure disk. Now I replace the fisr disk but I'have discover in many forum that iomega use a little partition on primary disk to store data firmware..
So I need to restore original firmware in the new HD but I understand that the downloaded firmware is encrypted, so there are 2 solutions: decrypt the firmware or load it from the same us utility that must be online and alive the NAS!!
Ok the problem is this, I don't found anywere any older version of decripted firmware or the utility to make it.
Can someone help me about functionally link or solution???
Many thank's every body
:_)))