General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New NAS not accessible
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:24 pm 

Hi,
I just got this NAS, everything works fine, but after some few hours my NAS is not accessible anymore. I gave it a static ip address configured in my router, and still shows up in my LAN when I scan it for attached devices. When I pull out the power supply and put it back in the NAS boots up just fine but after a few hours it just happens again. Also did the software upgrade but it doesn't seem to work.

Anybody any idea?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:35 pm 

rutger588 wrote:
Hi,
I just got this NAS, everything works fine, but after some few hours my NAS is not accessible anymore. I gave it a static ip address configured in my router, and still shows up in my LAN when I scan it for attached devices. When I pull out the power supply and put it back in the NAS boots up just fine but after a few hours it just happens again. Also did the software upgrade but it doesn't seem to work.
Anybody any idea?

is the static IP of the NAS out of the DHCP range managed by your Router? Check the lease time associated with IPs, this is set in your Router.
If there's possibility of duplicate IP, change one of the IPs permanently.

_h

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:26 pm 

The 15 minute fix to this issues is...

I had this and the issue was with the 'periodic consistency check' under 'drive management'. I've spent a week or two working on a solution. It's actually quite simple to execute.

The periodic consistency check locks down the device while it does a check but it gets stuck - or simply takes forever (I stopped waiting after 5 days). Pulling the plug doesn't help because it just goes back to what it was (or wasn't) doing when you power it up again - you only have a small window of opportunity to access the device. Not long enough to debug it. The Ragamuffin (that's me) patented work-around for this is:

1) pull the cord to power down the drive
2) remove the front panel and unmount just one of the drives (or is that dismount)
3) power-up the device - now that it is dealing with the distraction of a 'failed' disk it forgets about the consistency check. When it finishes thrashing around and pops on the disk failed red-light, you can access the user interface. Login then create a dump-file by navigating to http://[device address]/manage/diagnostics - it's under the 'support files tab'
4) power down the proper way, then switch the drives over - insert the un-mounted drive and take-out the mounted.
5) power-up the device again and do another dump-file for the second drive
6) power down the correct way
7) insert both drives fully
8) power-up. After a few minutes of working-out what the heck is going on and discovering it now has two good drives the device will be fully responsive.
9) using the user interface go to 'disk management' and disable 'periodic consistency check'
10) life will now be wonderful and the sun will always shine

Hope this helps because I've seen forums with this issue going back 5 years and no-one had a solution (until now).