DLNA library / catalogue refresh

StorCenter ix2-200 Network Storage
phill1127

DLNA library / catalogue refresh

Post by phill1127 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:17 am

Anyone know how to refresh the DLNA server library / catalogue? The only way I can seem to get new files to be viewable from a client is to restart the NAS (but a restart on this thing takes like 5-6 minutes and interrupts anything else that's going on). There's apparently some process running on startup that refreshes the library and I want to be able to manually run it (or make it a cron job) but I don't know what it is. Does anyone know the name of the process or service that handles the DLNA library?

I'm considering installing minidlna or plex on the NAS. If one of these will solve my problem then I'll go with it, but the native DLNA service is sufficient as is (except for the library refresh) so I'd rather not install any additional packages. Help?

goochman

Re: DLNA library / catalogue refresh

Post by goochman » Thu May 01, 2014 6:20 pm

phill1127 wrote:Anyone know how to refresh the DLNA server library / catalogue? The only way I can seem to get new files to be viewable from a client is to restart the NAS (but a restart on this thing takes like 5-6 minutes and interrupts anything else that's going on). There's apparently some process running on startup that refreshes the library and I want to be able to manually run it (or make it a cron job) but I don't know what it is. Does anyone know the name of the process or service that handles the DLNA library?

I'm considering installing minidlna or plex on the NAS. If one of these will solve my problem then I'll go with it, but the native DLNA service is sufficient as is (except for the library refresh) so I'd rather not install any additional packages. Help?
From the Admin pages you can 'manage' the Media Server. By default it should update at some period of time - maybe that is every 30 mins or such. There is also a button on that page to perform an immediate rescan.

Ive found that no matter the refresh time I always just browse my NAS by 'folder' in the media view. That reads the raw directory and doesnt wait for a rescan - atleast that have been my experience.