General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:23 am 

Yesterday I tried to update the firmware from 3.something to 4.0.2 as recommended by the network interface. The machiine is now bricked. I gave it 24 hours to work and the white light is still blinking and I was unable to reset the machine with the button. I disconnected the power and network cable and tried to restart and the machine was still bricked. I removed the hard drives and connected them to a PC via a sata-usb converter. Both disks were recognized but I couldn't access anything because from my understanding after reading through this very nice forum that they are formatted in linux and cannot be accessed directly by a windows PC.
I have seen the methods that repair the firmware on this forum but it is not clear to me if using them reformats the disks. So I have the following questions:
1. Can I restore firmware without erasing the data on the disks?
2. What is the easiest way to get to the data on the disks from a windows environment. (The data was protected using the local active directory).

Haim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:29 pm 

Quote:
1. Can I restore firmware without erasing the data on the disks?
Theoretically, yes, of course. In practice no, probably not. The 'emergency reflash' procedure (using an USB stick) reformats the disks. So to repair the firmware without erasing the data you'll have to do it manually, over a serial connection. Which is beyond your skills, I guess.
Quote:
2. What is the easiest way to get to the data on the disks from a windows environment.
Not. The data is stored in an xfs filesystem, on a logical volume in a volume group, on a linux software raid array. All these layers are not supported by Windows. You'll need a Linux system.
Quote:
(The data was protected using the local active directory).
Fortunately that is not important. The protection is enforced by the OS. The data itself is just plain data. If you have the rights to mount the disk, you also have right to read the data. (Unless encryption is used)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:48 am 

Thank you Mijzelf. Your answers were very clear. I have a couple more now:
1. Can you point me to instructions regarding the non-destructive firmware restoration using a serial connection?
2. As the disks were RAID 1, is there someway I can format one of the disks and then have it copy the other disk to the first disk?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:02 am 

hik wrote:
1. Can you point me to instructions regarding the non-destructive firmware restoration using a serial connection?
No. That question is about the same as "My car will not start. Can you point me to instructions how to fix it.". I can tell you how to open the hood. But without knowing which is actually wrong, it's impossible to tell how to fix it.
Here is a very brief description of the serial port. (Note: that port is *not* RS232. You need a TTL level serial port to connect to it. Here is some more info.
You should only connect GND TX and RX. Boot up the box, and look at the serial log. Probably you'll see a clear error. When the error isn't too big, you'll end in a serial shell, where you can fix it.
Quote:
2. As the disks were RAID 1, is there someway I can format one of the disks and then have it copy the other disk to the first disk?
The disks are (supposed to be) identical. So you can format one, without loosing the data. And you can copy the data back by cloning the disk. But how does that help?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:47 am 

Thank you again. You convinced me not to try to manually fix the bios.
Can I do the following?
1. Put one disk in the box.
2. Use the factory reset button to format the disk with the new bios.
3. put the second disk in the box
4. Copy the information from the 2nd disk to the first disk.
5. Reestablish the Raid 1

Haim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:25 pm 

I don't think so. When you re-initialize one disk, that disk will contain the raid array, from the NAS' point of view. So if you plugin the other disk, it will sync the wrong way. I can't imagine the webinterface will handle this case.
But I never saw an ix2-ng, so I can be mistaken.

BTW, there are 2 types of ix2-ng, the diskless, and the other. The diskless has a big flashmemory, from which it can install new firmware on empty disks. The other one is sold with the OS preinstalled on harddisk, and doesn't have that amount of flash. To install the OS on an empty disk, you need an usb stick containing the firmware.