General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: ix2-ng recovery usb
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:32 am 

Hi everyone,

i'm trying to recover an ix2-ng nas, with 2 fresh hard disk (1TBx2).
Can't start usb recovery procedure, usb not blinking.

I've followed this guide

http://iomega.nas-central.org/wiki/Inst ... %26_ix2-ng)

but with no success.

Is that still valid or may i try something else? Just read about preparing a usb with linux instead of moving firmware with copy-paste in win.

The two disks are ntfs formatted from a windows pc.

Post subject: Re: ix2-ng recovery usb
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:38 pm 

ZetaKappa wrote:
instead of moving firmware with copy-paste in win.

My crystal ball tells me you haven't followed the directions. The disks need to be prepared by dd'ing the kernel and initrd to some hardcoded sectors, which cannot be done in Windows.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:52 pm 

Mij, my cristal ball tells me you were right too.
Something on My USB pen was not working properly...
After following another time a step-by-step guide everything went fine.

Sorry for waisting tour time.

Francesco

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:35 pm 

I am trying to recover a solid red light IX2-ng.

Have tried multiple times the create GPT, dd 2 files (from Linux Live CD), no dice....

Any ideas welcome!

Thx,

A

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:51 am 

create GPT? How, and why?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:54 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
create GPT? How, and why?

I followed instructions from here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Iomega-Desktop-Network-Storage/IX2-red-light-only/m-p/2052094/highlight/false#M5624

Instead of the link (broken by the way - but page still exists when searched) above...

Extract is (I used parted for GPT bit):

Now connect the disk that has been initialized to Linux (a PC or a virtual partition or Live CD) and the USB key that was prepared above.

With the partitioning program (I use Gepart) create the partition table to GPT. I have written "partition table" and nothing else. Do not create a partition.

Then via a Linux terminal, copy the "zImages" files and "initrd" on the HDD with the following commands

dd if = / path to the USB key / images / zImage of = / dev / sdX bs = 512 seek = 2048
dd if = / path to the USB key / images / initrd of = / dev / sdX bs = 512 seek = 8192

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:56 pm 

That looks right. That partition table is unnecessary, AFAIK, but it doesn't hurt either. Possible problems are:
  • Hardware failure (The box can't feed the disk (in case of an extraordinary uneconomic disk, or a bad power supply)) or the USB port or -stick is broken.
  • Your box is incompatible with the provided imager stick (and so it has a wrong kernel). Are you sure it's an ix2-ng?

Can you hear the disk spin up? Does the usb stick have a led, and can you see if it's accessed? Do you have the possibility to connect a serial port (a standard RS232 port doesn't fit, and will kill the box. You need a 3.3V TTL port)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:56 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
That looks right. That partition table is unnecessary, AFAIK, but it doesn't hurt either. Possible problems are:
  • Hardware failure (The box can't feed the disk (in case of an extraordinary uneconomic disk, or a bad power supply)) or the USB port or -stick is broken.
  • Your box is incompatible with the provided imager stick (and so it has a wrong kernel). Are you sure it's an ix2-ng?

Can you hear the disk spin up? Does the usb stick have a led, and can you see if it's accessed? Do you have the possibility to connect a serial port (a standard RS232 port doesn't fit, and will kill the box. You need a 3.3V TTL port)

Label states IX2-NG, front panel states IX2-DL - but pretty sure this is an NG unit (not DL). Any other way to tell?

OK, I can omit the GPT step.

Yes, disks spin up after about 30 seconds.

Yes USB stick LED does flash after about 40 seconds, but then no much activity. So USB port and stick seem good.

I can do the 3.3V TTL serial port. Will take some time to collect the bits. But I also have 2 of IX2-200 units that need some similar attention also. So this will be worthwhile. Where can I find the instructions (pins or header to connect, etc.) to connect the serial wires for console access to the NAS?

Thanks

A

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:31 am 

amr42 wrote:
Any other way to tell?
Yes. The difference between a 'normal' ng and a dl is that the last one is sold without disks. (dl for diskless). To make it possible to initialize a harddisk without hassle, it has firmware in flash. The ng version has only 1MiB flash (only containing a bootloader), the dl has 1GiB. On the PCB photo here you see a non-dl PCB. The dl has a flash chip on u44, on top-right.

Quote:
Yes, disks spin up after about 30 seconds.
For a non-dl that is far to late. The flash only contains a bootloader, so it has to read it's kernel from harddisk. The disk spins up within 5 seconds. I don't know if the dl will first try to read it's kernel from harddisk, or if it will always boot from flash. If it boots from flash 30 seconds might be OK.
Quote:
Yes USB stick LED does flash after about 40 seconds, but then no much activity. So USB port and stick seem good.
I don't know if the same imager stick can be used for both the dl and ng. The firmware searches for a specific directory (\emctools\<hardware-tag>\, or something like that). When that directory isn't found, the stick is further ignored.
Quote:
Where can I find the instructions (pins or header to connect, etc.) to connect the serial wires for console access to the NAS?
The pinning for the ix2-ng/dl is on the PCB page, the pinning for the ix2-200 is here. Always connect only RX, TX and ground. The Vcc pin is only for reference for some specific TTL devices.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:00 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
amr42 wrote:
Any other way to tell?
Yes. The difference between a 'normal' ng and a dl is that the last one is sold without disks. (dl for diskless). To make it possible to initialize a harddisk without hassle, it has firmware in flash. The ng version has only 1MiB flash (only containing a bootloader), the dl has 1GiB. On the PCB photo here you see a non-dl PCB. The dl has a flash chip on u44, on top-right.

OK, I definitely have a DL unit - based on the presence of a U44.

So this means I've been using the wrong imager... :D

So will get correct imager from Lenovo and try that.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:14 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
On the PCB photo here you see a non-dl PCB. The dl has a flash chip on u44, on top-right.

OK - According to Lenovo NG and DL imagers are identical.

However console capture displays the same regardless of whether a USB stick is installed and reset button held down, or not.

File attachment on forum not wanting to play nice today. Click here for boot log. FYI - I condensed the 2 sections of reading data...

Need help - how can I flash new firmware? from console connection? :?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:41 pm 

Your kernel is corrupted, and it is in flash. You can extract the kernel and initrd from the tgz file on the imager stick. Then you need a tftp server (yes, tftp. That's different from ftp). When you run 'printenv' you can see which IP address is expected for the tftp server.
Connect the NAS to your tftp server (which can be the same PC which runs your serial terminal, of course), and execute something like this:
Code:
tftpboot 0x2000000 kernel
nand erase 0x100000 $filesize
nand write.e 0x2000000 0x100000 $filesize

tftpboot 0x2000000 initrd
nand erase 0x400000 $filesize
nand write.e 0x2000000 0x400000 $filesize
where kernel and initrd are the names of the files on the tftp server.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:54 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
Your kernel is corrupted, and it is in flash. You can extract the kernel and initrd from the tgz file on the imager stick. Then you need a tftp server (yes, tftp. That's different from ftp). When you run 'printenv' you can see which IP address is expected for the tftp server.
Connect the NAS to your tftp server (which can be the same PC which runs your serial terminal, of course), and execute something like this:
Code:
tftpboot 0x2000000 kernel
nand erase 0x100000 $filesize
nand write.e 0x2000000 0x100000 $filesize

tftpboot 0x2000000 initrd
nand erase 0x400000 $filesize
nand write.e 0x2000000 0x400000 $filesize
where kernel and initrd are the names of the files on the tftp server.

OK, newbie at TFTP, have gotten TFTP server setup. I changed the PC IP address to match the serverip address in IX2-DL (which was 192.168.32.4).

When I tried the tftpboot command, I get this error:

## Warning: gatewayip needed but not set

How do I set this gatewayip variable? I tried with setenv command, but little success...

Thanks,

A

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:01 am 

A gateway IP shouldn't be necessary. There are 2 IP addresses involved, which can be found in the environment. The local IP and the server IP. If these are not in the same subnet the box needs a gateway IP, but of course that has to be a router.
It's more convenient to change either the local IP or the server IP to put them in the same subnet.

When you only use setenv, the change won't survive a reboot. If you want that do a saveenv when settings are done.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:58 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
A gateway IP shouldn't be necessary. There are 2 IP addresses involved, which can be found in the environment. The local IP and the server IP. If these are not in the same subnet the box needs a gateway IP, but of course that has to be a router.
It's more convenient to change either the local IP or the server IP to put them in the same subnet.

When you only use setenv, the change won't survive a reboot. If you want that do a saveenv when settings are done.

OK, sometimes it's the little stuff.... :mrgreen:

I tried to do this:

setenv serverip=192.168.1.100
saveenv

Then either the 'reset' command or power off/on.

but when I used the printenv command, or attempted a tftpboot command the serverip environment variable was never set... see attached file HERE

I have seen a variable called pre_serverip=192.168.32.4 and sometimes I see serverip=192.168.32.4. But not consistently...

Any ideas?