Hacking the ix2-200/ix4-200

StorCenter ix2-200 Network Storage
richa

Hacking the ix2-200/ix4-200

Post by richa » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi everyone...

I followed the steps on the nas-central wiki to gain root access to the ix2-200. Then I tried out the armv4 buuild of mediatomb from the mediatomb.cc website which worked perfectly (especially since the current version of twonky included with the nas shows incorrect timings for some of my movies on the PlayStation 3... grr!)

Couple of questions, in case anyoe has looked into hacking this system as well....

1. How would you get unofficial apps like mediatomb to launch at startup? I presume that the /etc directory is saved to flash. Can you easily create a new script in /etc/rcX.d/ to start up an app like mediatomb and if so is there an easy way to only mount once /mnt/soho_storage has been mounted?

2. Anyone else got anything interesting running on the ix2-200 or ix4-200 yet? Any download managers (i.e. supply a URL and download it to a share automagically) or maybe even nzb downloading software would be wonderful. I notice that python2.5 is available on the unit, so is it trivial to get sabnzbd to work?

Hope there are a few other users of these systems around here. The official iomega forum is stifled by the overzealous moderation!

Cheers,
RichA

timtim

Re: Hacking the ix2-200/ix4-200

Post by timtim » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:45 pm

Great... sounds like documenting mediatomb would be a useful addition to the wiki!

Iomega forum users are welcome here too. The pre-moderation on the official forums severely limits users abilities to help each other. None of that here except in extreme cases - spam, copyright violation and abuse are the only things we will post-moderate!

rooky

Post by rooky » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:15 am

I installed screen etc. using the instructions here:
http://vuksan.com/blog/2010/04/28/custo ... with-ipkg/
to use ipkg.

I use wget with a list file started and stopped via cron to download files overnight (I had to start the cron daemon and change it so it starts at run level 2).

I've also installed enhanced-ctorrent (via ipkg) and start and stop that via cron too.

pbradz

Post by pbradz » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:33 am

Iomega has released the Lifeline Open Source code for these boxes, it's in the support downloads section...