General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:15 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
mkornegay2 wrote:
What has Iomega done, made a proprietary partition unable to be mount on anything but their hardware.
AFAIK it's just a standard software raid container, containing a standard xfs filesystem.

Your error means that either Ubuntu doesn't support xfs (cannot imagine), you've got the wrong partition (are you sure it's sdb2?), the filesystem is damaged (that would also explain why the NAS doesn't mount it anymore), or after all the filesystem isn't xfs (unfortunately the wiki is taciturn about the stock configuration, I got the filesystem information from smallnetbuilder.com)

It could be helpful to follow the suggestion of mount, and execute 'dmesg | tail' after the mounting fails.
'cat /proc/filesystems' will tell if xfs is supported. If xfs is not in the list, try 'sudo modprobe xfs' to load the filesystem driver before trying to mount.

Well this doesn't seem to work either. Pretty much given up. I feel like the more I try, the more risk I do to damaging my disk.

I've got my NAS back up with the upgraded Cloud firmware. I've set the Raid to "none" and installed the disk I want to copy in the HDD 2 slot. Maybe it will let me read the disk through the NAS. I'm not sure if it will work, but worth a try.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:52 am 

Hi to everyone,
I was able to recover my iomega ix2-200 with two new disks using the firmware on the first post (3.1.12.47838) however now I'm not able to upgrade to the latest version. When I try to upgrade I get "Unable to upgrade firmware".

Anyone with the same problem?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:30 am 

Iomega is pretty much junk. I have a bricked one now sitting in the closet. Got a D-link for $100 and can even access through an iPhone app. Iomega just needs to hang it up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:17 pm 

SystemR89 wrote:
Hi to everyone,
I was able to recover my iomega ix2-200 with two new disks using the firmware on the first post (3.1.12.47838) however now I'm not able to upgrade to the latest version. When I try to upgrade I get "Unable to upgrade firmware".

Anyone with the same problem?

I successfully upgraded using usb, I uploaded ix2-boot.tgz from the latest firmware here: http://rapidshare.com/files/811771746/ix2-boot.tgz

enjoy :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:11 pm 

So started out with a empty ix2-200 and wanted to get it to the cloud edition. I had the drive I had used when I did the 1TB to 2TB expansion so I knew they were good to work with the device, but since they were put to use elsewhere. So removed all partitions on both and left them as non-formatted raw volumes.

Started with the various tips/tricks/etc in this thread and never had success. I did get the ix2-200 to read from the thumb drive (Lexar Twist Turn 8GB as listed), meaning holding reset connecting the power and holding well past the initial activation of the LED till a steady flashing pattern was noticed. But the unit would fail to expand all files and the pattern was read thumb drive, do stuff, (re)read thumb, do stuff, and continue for 12+ hours without ever reaching first shut down. I have gotten it as far as a partial creation of the TMP directory with some files but not all/enough and that is why I assume it stalls.

Moving to the Wiki article on [url-http://iomega.nas-central.org/wiki/Category:Ix2-200-usb-init]USB-INIT[/url] I have cygwin installed and working but the script encounters an error.

Near the top of the article it states:
Quote:
To get config you can mount apps, copy and gunzip the config.gz file from usr/local/cfg.

and in the scripts this is performed by:
Code:
mount -o loop,ro $ix2/images/apps $ix2/apps
cp -p $ix2/apps/usr/local/cfg/config.gz $ix2/images/

but for cygwin loop is not a valid mount option due to the Windows file system and lack of kernal support.

So my questions:

1. Where is usr/local/cfg since I do not see it in the decrypted tarball?
2. Since mount w/ loop is not valid is there another way to perform this action assuming item one can be resolved?

For anyone who says why go though this trouble it is because the simple ways have failed.

1. Technopat's method - no existing links work to download and so that is why I went to create my own.
2. Using the HDD firmware updater to format and leave the preimage.sh but add the device firmware update tarball no luck.
3. Just put the tarball extracted from update.zip with a rename in the emctool\ix2-200d_images folder - nada.
4. Use the path emctool\ix2-200_images versus emctool\ix2-200d_images - no improvements.
5. Multiple combinations of above - zip.
6. Trying to "pre-expand" TMP directy contents - nothing but again maybe missing config since I do have config.m65 but no config.

So either I am amazingly incompetent while doing it so there is always one missed step or wrong factor or something.

So - Happy to try and report on specific attempts. FYI - Unit was from 2010 mfg if that makes any difference.

Going to retry some simple methods using older firmware versions and see if that gets the unit working at all.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by ensignfodder on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Summary
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:27 pm 

With some custom built ix2-boot.tgz I get what seems likes the right sort of activity - hold reset - connect power - solid on thumb - flashing on thumb - release reset.

Disk activity is seen (blue led) and some head/spindle movement during this time and the thumb flashes at regular intervals, but unit never shuts down.

Every couple of minutes there is a sort of clunk/power off noise but unit DOES NOT SHUT OFF and the whole cycle begins again.

HELP!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:55 am 

So I know that the unit is not totally borked or similar and that it is running version 2.1.42.18967.

So here is the question:

1. Having failed with the 2TB drives (Seagate ST2000DM01's FW:CC9C & CC9E) to get any load to work, try with 1TB and hope for best
2. Buy the $79.99 (with coupon code) current model diskless ix2 from NewEgg which lists the ST2000DM01 as supported and be done with it

Post subject: Got Config from Dump
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:18 pm 

Using this information from Christoper Kusek (@CXI) I found the config in the dump (config.gz) file so by adding that back to the workflow for producing decrypted bootable updates, I may give the whole thing a go again with the 2TB drives, but I am waiting for the 1TB to finish deleting 98% of capacity of data. I went to the shared storage screen and told it to delete the only share and it has been grinding away ever since. Not sure if it is doing a secure delete or what. It is also running a consistency check so my guess is the execution order is stopping the delete or the consistency check is a byte level and it is confirming the deleted space is the same.

Anyway, seems like I am talking to myself since no-one had chimed in or anything.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:00 pm 

So with a functional system and SSH enabled I see that the drive consistency is what is chewing all the disk cycles and why my delete is no happening fast enough. Plus the data on the disk is from PHD Virtual backup so it is a faux block system of 256 folders each containing 256 folders containing the files so any delete that has to scan the file system to collect a list of stuff to delete is going to be a while.

root@ix2:/# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
md1 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[1]
974722192 blocks super 1.0 [2/1] [U_]
[==================>..] recovery = 91.5% (892435520/974722192) finish=1441.3min speed=950K/sec

md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdb1[1]
2040128 blocks [2/2] [UU]

24 hours to complete - ouch. I assume once that is done the disk erase will have the quick option and I can simply drop the file tables versus the "secure delete" option it shows now.
Settings > Disks > Mange > Erase Disks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:23 am 

So using the config.gz from either the dump or SCP via SSH I think the 2TB raw volume firmware install of ix2-200-3.2.6.21659 has been completed successfully.

Unit did act different and seemed to be accessing the thumb drive more then in the past and then blam - unit turned off.

Removed thumb, pressed power, and unit is alive.

Just waiting to get a UI on the web interface or Store Manager.

Post subject: Still waiting
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:32 am 

Nothing showing on WebUI or Storemanager. It did pick up the static IP assignment from DHCP server.

Post subject: Waiting some more
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:44 am 

So device answers PING but so far nothing else.

Storemanager keeps giving me a strange error about address being in another subnet and not being routable. This is strange since single NIC (two VMware adaptors for workstation) with 10.10.0.102 DHCP reservation.

Putty refused but that was expected.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:37 am 

Mounting one of the drive is eSATA shows 1.95GB partition Healthy Primary partition with rest in a raw format. Windows is pretty stupid about other formats so I assume something worked but not properly or completely.

Wondering if different disk sizes from config.gz is the cause.

Will wipe both and retry flashing. Will check what Acronis shows if same result.

Post subject: Maybe a winner???`
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:17 am 

So I did a format of the drives and then deleted partitions (Windows) and firmware update seems to be taken, but unit did make a beep/tone at end both times that I didn't remember from before.

Pushing power with network attached and will see if storage answers.

Post subject: Fail again.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:59 pm 

So did the two flash process with a odd beep/tone at shutdown.

On next restart of device - on network and responding to ping but nothing - SSH/HTTP/Storage Manager

Will figure out a Linux build (VM/Live CD) so I can mount the disks and look at what is really there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next