So started out with a empty ix2-200 and wanted to get it to the cloud edition. I had the drive I had used when I did the 1TB to 2TB expansion
so I knew they were good to work with the device, but since they were put to use elsewhere. So removed all partitions on both and left them as non-formatted raw volumes.
Started with the various tips/tricks/etc in this thread and never had success. I did get the ix2-200 to read from the thumb drive (Lexar Twist Turn 8GB as listed), meaning holding reset connecting the power and holding well past the initial activation of the LED till a steady flashing pattern was noticed. But the unit would fail to expand all files and the pattern was read thumb drive, do stuff, (re)read thumb, do stuff, and continue for 12+ hours without ever reaching first shut down. I have gotten it as far as a partial creation of the TMP directory with some files but not all/enough and that is why I assume it stalls.
Moving to the Wiki article on [url-http://iomega.nas-central.org/wiki/Category:Ix2-200-usb-init]USB-INIT[/url] I have cygwin installed and working but the script encounters an error.
Near the top of the article it states:
To get config you can mount apps, copy and gunzip the config.gz file from usr/local/cfg.
and in the scripts this is performed by:
mount -o loop,ro $ix2/images/apps $ix2/apps
cp -p $ix2/apps/usr/local/cfg/config.gz $ix2/images/
but for cygwin loop is not a valid mount option due to the Windows file system and lack of kernal support.
So my questions:
1. Where is usr/local/cfg since I do not see it in the decrypted tarball?
2. Since mount w/ loop is not valid is there another way to perform this action assuming item one can be resolved?
For anyone who says why go though this trouble it is because the simple ways have failed.
method - no existing links work to download and so that is why I went to create my own.
2. Using the HDD firmware updater to format and leave the preimage.sh
but add the device firmware update tarball no luck.
3. Just put the tarball extracted from update.zip with a rename in the emctool\ix2-200d_images folder - nada.
4. Use the path emctool\ix2-200_images versus emctool\ix2-200d_images - no improvements.
5. Multiple combinations of above - zip.
6. Trying to "pre-expand" TMP directy contents - nothing but again maybe missing config since I do have config.m65 but no config.
So either I am amazingly incompetent while doing it so there is always one missed step or wrong factor or something.
So - Happy to try and report on specific attempts. FYI - Unit was from 2010 mfg if that makes any difference.
Going to retry some simple methods using older firmware versions and see if that gets the unit working at all.