General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:46 pm 

See images for what KNOPPIX shows for one disk

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:42 pm 

Hello guys,

2 questions please:

1) What are the new features that installing the Cloud version brings

2) Can the trick be done using an external USB hard drive (like the ipod or a regular one) instead of a USB Pendrive¿

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:51 am 

Faire wrote:
Hello guys,

2 questions please:

1) What are the new features that installing the Cloud version brings

2) Can the trick be done using an external USB hard drive (like the ipod or a regular one) instead of a USB Pendrive¿

Cloud brings remote access to data.

No idea - try it and report back, but you have to make those other devices formatted as FAT32.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:55 am 

Other suggestions for Live "CD" that can mount LVM2 partition?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:49 am 

From here I figured out that the firmware URL's are simple and by changing the version number I got the one I wanted to download.

ix2-200-3.1.12.47838.tgz

Will put it through the process and see what happens.

Post subject: KNOPPIX wins the day
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:16 pm 

So having the wrong config was the problem and it was resolved by the USB-INIT article but I had to modify the script since it did not work in KNOPPIX.

Using a USB drive for the "scratch" space I used the following, but it broke down when it tried to unmount $ix2/apps due to a rights issue (not running as SU) so that may be the trick

Code:
ifw=/media/sdc1/ix2/nas-os/ix2-200-3.2.6.21659.tgz
ofw=${ifw%.tgz}-decrypted.tar.gz
ix2=${ifw%.tgz}-files
mkdir -p $ix2/images
mkdir -p $ix2/update
mkdir -p $ix2/apps
openssl enc -d -aes-128-cbc -in $ifw -k "EMCNTGSOHO" -out $ofw
tar xzvf $ofw -C $ix2/update/
imgs=$(find $ix2/update/)
for img in ${imgs} ; do
 if [ -f $img.md5 ] ; then
     mv $img $ix2/images/
     mv $img.md5 $ix2/images/
 fi
done
mount -o loop,ro $ix2/images/apps $ix2/apps
cp -p $ix2/apps/usr/local/cfg/config.gz $ix2/images/
umount $ix2/apps
gunzip $ix2/images/config.gz
img=$ix2/images/config
md5=$(md5sum $img)
md5=${md5% *}
md5=${md5% }
echo "$md5" > $img.md5
cd $ix2/images/
tar czvf ../ix2-boot.tgz *

So after a single instance of recovery booting the device I am looking at a IX-200 running firmware 3.2.6.21659!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:48 pm 

Hi Guys,

I have a StorCenter ix2. The hard disk have faulted and replaced them with 2 new ones (Seagate 2TB). Now i have to put the firmware. tried the steps but it's not working. do you have any solutions about that?

thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:02 pm 

haashim01 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have a StorCenter ix2. The hard disk have faulted and replaced them with 2 new ones (Seagate 2TB). Now i have to put the firmware. tried the steps but it's not working. do you have any solutions about that?

thanks

When you say "tried the steps but it's not working" do you mean the stuff on pages 1 - 4 or did you do what I have in the last two pages?

I could not get the other stuff to work but kept at it until I did resolve the short comings and not clearly described steps, so if you followed what I did let me know and I can try to help.

Biggest issue is that there is more trial and error then explained so you have to know when to break away and start thinking for yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:22 am 

Hi,

I have followed the steps on page 1 and not yours. Can you please send me the steps via a PM please.

Also i don't have ix2-200, it is the ix2 only.

Thanks
Haashim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:21 pm 

haashim01 wrote:
Hi,

I have followed the steps on page 1 and not yours. Can you please send me the steps via a PM please.

Also i don't have ix2-200, it is the ix2 only.

Thanks
Haashim

Haashim,

I have outlined everything I did and my sources and issues so if you read over the last two pages and try it let me know where it breaks down and I might be able to advise. As to having a ix2 vs ix2-200 there are actually several different models of "ix2" so I would check the MPN or part number on the sticker on the bottom and confirm which unit you have.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:59 pm 

I just thought I'd share that I successfully upgraded my ix2-200 to Cloud Edition.

I had already upgraded to the latest available version of f/w for i2-200 and my 2nd 1TB Seagate drive failed and I was forced to buy a new drive so opted to go for 2 x 2TB WD Red drives.

I removed the faulty drive and rebooted.
Then I plugged an external SATA to USB 2.0 enclosure with a 2TB Seagate drive (formatted with NTFS) into the upper USB port on the rear of the ix2.
Then I browsed to my ix2/support.html and enabled SSH.
I logged in via SSH and backed up all my data directly to the USB drive by typing: rsync -rt --progress --exclude=':*' /mnt/soho_storage/samba/shares/public /mnt/soho_storage/samba/shares/USB_ST2000DM_001-1CH164_1
Hours later I powered down and removed all drives and inserted the new disks.
I downloaded the latest version of CE f/w and decrypted it on a linux machine to build the boot image on a 16GB Transcend stick with indicator LED.
After inserting the USB stick into the upper USB port and powering on with reset depressed, it started flashing steadily after just over 30 seconds.
After just a few minutes it powered down.
I removed the stick and connected the Ethernet cable and powered up.
After a few minutes it got an IP via DHCP but the browser did not come up.
After more than 10 minutes only the power LED was flashing.
I deleted the TEMP folder on the memory stick and just to be safe copied the ix2-200d_images folder to ix2-200_images.
I repeated the upgrade (power on with reset) procedure.
This time the HDU activity light and system light started flashing and the web server started up after the next reboot.

Now I just have to copy back all the data.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:02 pm 

ridgerider wrote:
Thanks everyone, a 3rd USB-Stick worked! :-)

yes, all USB Stick are not created equally

_h

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:36 am 

Considering doing this upgrade to see if it fixes my issues with copying to the nas detailed in another thread, is there an ideal firmware version I should be gunning for?

Also, once the upgrade has been done can I upload new firmwares via the nas interface or do I have have to side load them every time like this?

Thanks in advance for any help that follows,

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:16 pm 

This upgrade turns your box completely into a CE, so the normal upgrade procedure for a CE works. That's not too thrilling, as Iomega stopped supporting the CE a while ago.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:06 am 

A few important tips for people bringing a non-cloud edition back to life with drives larger than 2.1TB (e.g, 3TB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, etc)!

You MUST upgrade to the 3.x cloud edition software, but it is not easy.

I built a boot USB following the instructions on the various boards, and the 3.x WOULD NOT INSTALL if I had installed 3.0TB drives (or any drive larger than 2.1TB, I assume)

I wrongly guessed there was a problem with the tgz file and ended up building a 2.x boot USB stick and restored the system with 2.x, and that worked. Or so I thought. Every reboot caused the RAID-1 drives to rebuild. The 2.x version "sort of" recognizes the 3TB drives, which is BAD NEWS. When I plugged the drives into a Linux machine, it saw them as 800GB, which is typical for a misunderstood sector size.

To make a long, long, LONG story short, after days of pounding my head against the wall with lots of things SORT OF working, here's what worked.

Since the older ix2-200 has a BIOS which cannot cope with 3TB (or > 2.1TB) drives, you need to install smaller drives long enough for the FIRST BOOT of a 3.x "cloud edition" USB. In my case, I had 2 250GB drives I threw in (for the record: I used a 2GB "JD Secure" Lexar USB which worked great.)

To add insult to injury: he first time, the decrypted tgz file needs to be in \emctools\ix2-200d_images\, but after the BIOS is upgraded in the first boot (which will only happen if the installed drives are 2.1 TB or smaller!), the new BIOS will look for the tgz file in \emctools\ix2-200_images\ !!

If the system does not shut down after the activity, the update didn't work. I had a lot of cases where the USB flashed like mad and then stopped, but the NAS remained running. That was always a bad sign.

You need a 2GB USB stick - I was able to install the 2.x firmware with a 512MB USB stick, but the 3.x firmware needed a 2GB stick. When I used the 512M stick with the 3.x firmware, it just booted over and over again.

I signed up just to write this. It was a painful process, but it did finally work.

With an older non-cloud the key is to START WITH SMALLER DRIVES until the BIOS is updated (first of two update runs with the 3.x USB stick)

The new drives can be put in for the second run - and at some point the updating firmware changes the name of the EMCTOOLS directory where it looks.

Good luck! THANKS to everyone who wrote a LOT of great tutorials on the topic, I thought I would try to give mach a little since the 3TB, 4TB, 5TB or 6TB drives that are relatively new and they are TRICKY, especially with the 2.x firmware that pretends to understand them but fails terribly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next