General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:51 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:45 pm 

A special hello for all the people....
Fixed with verbatim store&go 4GB. Tks! ...but now i’ve a problem: I want to set my disk in no-raid mode (no mirroring). When I try to do this, the OS of the Iomega ix2-200 says: can’t find data (or something else...).
Who can help me?
Any help would be much appreciated ;)
Grifo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:06 am 

Hi,

Just wanted to post my quick guide for unbricking the ix2-200 unit, if the NAND flash goes wrong (i.e. by cycling power while NAND is written).

You can find it here: http://lars.karlslund.dk/2011/11/recove ... d-upgrade/

If someone can spare a bricked ix4 unit, I will see if I can make a similar guide for that, as I suspect the problems with flashing the ix2 firmware on an ix4 unit is an incompatible kernel. Please PM me if you have a ix4 on its way to the trash.

Lars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:24 pm 

Dear NAS guru's,

I am interested as well in this procedure, so I gathered all nessicary equipment.
Now I have two problems:

1)
My ix2-200 has two different drives (due to a problem, replaced drive earlier): WesternDigital Caviar Green 1TB WD10EADS and a Seagate Barracuda LP 1TB (which is the original one)
I opened a WD Elements external Hd 1TB and removed the SATA-USB connection. Now if I plug in the WD Caviar Green it works all right, disk spins up and is accessable via USB, however with the Seagate I do not see the disk, it doesn't even spin up. Are these Sata-USB connecters different per brand?? And is there a workaround??

2)
Using the 'prescriped' tool Easus partion master home edition I see not one partition on the ix2-200 disk. Only 935GB of 'unallocated space'. So if I don't see the partitions, how can I remove them?? I tried as well the wipe disk option, but as my Windows PC is a bit old I gave up after 1 hour and 3% completion.

I suppose it is really nessicary to wipe the disks completely, but is there a faster way?

Thanks a lot for the help, and sorry for any typos (English is not my main language)

Kind regards from a tired ix2 user in the rainy Netherlands,
Ton

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:55 pm 

Unfortunately I did not get any reply after two weeks. Seems like not so active forum then... (Or nobody knows the answer)

Anyway I found a friend whos computer I could use to wipe the two discs. Wiped them completely using the recommended software. Afterwards I did the upgrade as described, after doing this twice it worked!

Thanks topicstarter for explaining this process!

Kind regards,
Ton

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:15 pm 

Hello, I tried reinstalling the OS (ix2-200 that was previously converted to cloud edition and on 3.2.3 fw) as i had problems with torrents after trying to install transmission.
Now, after having wiped the drives with EASEUS as advised, the unit won't flash anymore from usb. After about 5 minutes, as already described in other posts, the unit red light blinks briefly and then power cycles. I tried 3 different usb sticks, no luck, wiped the disks completely with 1 pass.
Do I need to do anything to initialize the drives before trying flashing again? Do I need to decompress the .tgz file manually?

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:25 am 

Hello Take the Proggi described in 1st (blue 1 in the[]) post of this thread and than follow here: viewtopic.php?f=243&t=4205
the tiny little script did all you need ...

the disk musten't be formatted .. they have to be not partioned and not formatted this process is done by the script !

regards,

dornkaat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:22 am 

I tried that process using the window tool for preparing the usb stick as described in this post. Would this be any different? Do i need to prepare the HDDs in linux somehow? I wiped them with EASEUS. Should they be MBR, GPT, etc? Do the disks need a partition table? I am really stuck guys, I don't know what I am doing wrong

I am not experienced in Linux, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:52 am 

moin courghan ,

just leave the disk blank (after wipe the old partions under windows ) the upgrade process (where the shell script runs ) does everything what you need to use them after the upgrade process need to run the cloud edition.

it could happen taht you must run the upgrade process twice (me must do this ...) afterwards everything is o.k. and you will have the new clod on your device.

you can run the update, cause there is a new update for the cloud edition ...

hope this helps ...

regards
dornkaat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:24 pm 

hello ..

when u use this FWupdater software it creates a 200 mb parttion right ?there where ecmtools ( i have the structure not right in my mind .. cause i am at work)

the muts be one of those folders calles ix2 blo bla in there there must be the 4 kb script it was created by the usbWupdat
copy this in an unix editor and save it as preimage.sh n folder on your usb-stick

\ecmtools\ix2-200d_images\preimage.sh

--------------------- here the script ---- copy in unix editor ans save as --- preimage.sh ---------- :mrgreen: :mrgreen: --------------------
# /bin/sh
# This script is used to upgrade the drive firmware version
# if the drive firmware is < CC37 then this script needs to upgrade that drive
# Also the hdparm needs to be 9.28 fo this to work
##

echo "!!!!!!This script upgrades the seagate drive firmware"

HDPARM=/usb_drive/emctools/seagate/hdparm916/hdparm
FWPATH=/usb_drive/emctools/seagate
UPGRADED=0

find_firmware()
{
MODEL=$1
if [ "$MODEL" == "ST3500412AS" ]
then
NEW_FIRMWARE="$FWPATH/500-cc37.bin"
elif [ "$MODEL" == "ST31000520AS" ]
then
NEW_FIRMWARE="$FWPATH/1tb-cc38.bin"
elif [ "$MODEL" == "ST32000542AS" ]
then
NEW_FIRMWARE="$FWPATH/2tb-cc38.bin"
else
return 1
fi
return 0
}

update_firmware()
{
dev=/dev/$1
MODEL=`$HDPARM -I $dev | grep Model | awk '{print $3}'`
echo "Model is $MODEL"
FIRMWARE_REV=`$HDPARM -I $dev | grep Firmware | awk '{print $3}'`
echo "Firmware revision is $FIRMWARE_REV"

find_firmware $MODEL
if [ "$?" == "0" ]
then
rev=`echo $FIRMWARE_REV | awk '{print substr($0, 3, 2)}'`
if ( [ "$MODEL" == "ST3500412AS" ] && [ "$rev" -lt "37" ] ) || ( [ "$MODEL" != "ST3500412AS" ] && [ "$rev" -lt "38" ] )
then
echo "The drive firmware needs to be updated to $NEW_FIRMWARE"
count=1
while [ "$count" -lt "5" ];
do
echo "pass $count"
$HDPARM --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing --please-destroy-my-drive --fwdownload $NEW_FIRMWARE $dev
cmd_ret=$?
if [ "$cmd_ret" -lt "6" ]
then
UPGRADED=1
break
fi
let count++
done
else
echo "Firmware does not need an upgrade"
fi
else
echo "The Model $MODEL is not supported"
return 1
fi
}

#MAX_DRIVES=12
#drive_letters=(a b c d e f g h i j k l)
for i in a b c d e f g h i j k l;
do
drive=sd$i
if [ -f /sys/block/$drive/removable ]
then
isDrive=`cat /sys/block/$drive/removable`
if [ "$isDrive" == "0" ]
then
echo "$drive is a hard drive"
update_firmware $drive
else
echo "$drive is not a hard drive"
fi
else
echo "$drive doesnot exists"
fi
done

if [ $UPGRADED == "1" ]
then
echo "Need to reboot after a firmware upgrade"
exit 1
else
exit 0
fi
------------------- :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: -----------------------------------------end of script ---------- :mrgreen: :mrgreen: -------------------------------

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:45 pm 

courghan wrote:
Hello, I tried reinstalling the OS (ix2-200 that was previously converted to cloud edition and on 3.2.3 fw) as i had problems with torrents after trying to install transmission.
Now, after having wiped the drives with EASEUS as advised, the unit won't flash anymore from usb. After about 5 minutes, as already described in other posts, the unit red light blinks briefly and then power cycles. I tried 3 different usb sticks, no luck, wiped the disks completely with 1 pass.
Do I need to do anything to initialize the drives before trying flashing again? Do I need to decompress the .tgz file manually?

Thanks!!

Hello,
I have the same problem that "courghan". My ix2-200 blinking white led.
I have done the upgrade first time but after the update from the nas directly to 2.3.2, when it reboot i have the white led blinking.
I tested with several USB key, nothing.
I tested wipe, clear partition, format my HDD, and nothing away...
I tested with the "preimage.sh" file in directory of firmware...
I doesn't re-upgrade my NAS i don't know why the USB key is not recognise because she right the first time.
Have you solve your problem?
Can someone please help me?
I think i have tested all tip can i find in the net but nothing works for me.
Thanks in advance for reply.
Regards
..........Sorry for my poor english..........

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:51 pm 

Recovered my bricked ix2-200!!

I had the same problem as many people in this forum. After successfully upgrading to cloud edition and further getting the update from iOmega I decided to change the HDDs I was using naively thinking that I could just repeat the process using the usb-stick. Wrong!

The short story is that a new Linux image is burned into the NAND chip changing the path where the image is looked up to "/emctools/ix2-200_images/*.tgz" Notice the little difference from the non-Cloud firmware folder name "ix2-200d_images".

So getting it to work was a simple matter of deleting the letter "d" out of the folder name :-) now 2 days of work that got me a bit pissed.
Truth is, with the minimal amount of visibility we have without a serial port connection everything is a is shot in the dark.

The way I found this out was by opening up the ix2-200 and tapping to the serial connector. it was pretty explanatory then the usb-stick stopped blinking after a few seconds and this message showed up in the terminal:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FAT: utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT filesystems, filesystem will be case sensitive!
Checking for pre-image script... none.
Image tar file not found: /usb_drive/emctools/ix2-200_images/*.tgz
Going in to Network Imaging Mode
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:37 pm 

Hello renatopub, thanks so much for your post!

thanks to this I've been able to unbrick my ix2-200, really great. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:31 pm 

Quote:
Hello renatopub, thanks so much for your post!

thanks to this I've been able to unbrick my ix2-200, really great. Thanks again!

Great to know my post was of some help.
This seems to be a very specific issue that only happens when one upgrades to 3.2.3 and tries to repeat the usb trick. Maybe that is the reason it was hard to find answers online, not an usual sequence of events...
What I actually did was to prepare a new usb-stick with both folders "ix2-200d_images" and also "ix2-200_images" so it would not matter which version it is running.
It also comes as a word of advice when updating the firmware in the future. Knowing that updates can write new code to the NAND, reverting it back from a bricked state may require serial connection and maybe even JTAG if the boot-loader gets corrupted. But well, my Cloud edition is running fine now and it was well worth the extra work.
Something unrelated also called my attention in the serial dump. When the usb upgrade failed there were these lines:

Going in to Network Imaging Mode
eth1: started
udhcpc (v1.9.2) started
Sending discover...
No lease, failing

Just food for thought but I would be curious to know if that is possible so simply set an tftp server or such in the LAN so that a bricked ix2 could fetch the image itself. That would be cool 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:57 pm 

Quote:
Just food for thought but I would be curious to know if that is possible so simply set an tftp server or such in the LAN so that a bricked ix2 could fetch the image itself. That would be cool

You can brick your box, connect it to your PC, install a DHCP server on your PC, and have a look at the network traffic when you boot the box. Then you can see if any tftp requests are send.
This way I once debricked a router. (Well, I didn't setup a DHCP server, but your log suggests the NAS needs it).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:12 pm 

renatopub wrote:
Quote:
Just food for thought but I would be curious to know if that is possible so simply set an tftp server or such in the LAN so that a bricked ix2 could fetch the image itself. That would be cool 8-)

Uploading an image through tftp seems to be possible:
http://lars.karlslund.dk/2011/11/recove ... d-upgrade/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next