General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:17 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:57 pm 

Quote:
Uploading an image through tftp seems to be possible:
http://lars.karlslund.dk/2011/11/recove ... d-upgrade/

I've read this article and I have to admit it was one of the sources in the web that helped me figure out my IX2 upgrade problem. So, better late than never... thanks lkarlslund!

But what he describes is a command-line sequence to the boot loader "U-Boot" using the serial line. That is some advanced stuff! I had to use such low level commands in different occasions and... maybe some people smarter than me are comfortable with a "nand erase", but I would only use it as a last option (or with some hardware I don't really care about ;) ).

What I proposed in my post was a possible automatic tftp firmware fetch from the IX2 with no user intervention. Anyway, all this "Network Imaging Mode" stuff I wrote is nothing more than an off-topic thought exercise as the USB method is simpler and safer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:48 pm 

hi,
i have a ix2-200 1Tb (2x500Gb) non-cloud converted to cloud.
i have installed firmware 3.2.3.9273, but i have a problem, if the NAS not correctly shutdown (example: unplug power), the NAS start wrong with white led blinking in any reboot, and cannot access by http, https or SMB... only response ping (ICMP) and SSH.

the solution that i was find is login by SSH and execute: shutdown -h now, when start the NAS again, its start well.

have the same problem somebody? :?: :?: :?: :?:

in firmware 3.1.14 this didn't happen

update: after updating the firmware v3.1.14 to v3.2.3.15290 the problem don't occurred anymore

Regards

Last edited by sopbrain on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:18 pm 

Totally awesome. Just got my bricked unit working with 2 x 1Tb drives. Very quick, simple and effective. Now going to slap some 2Tb or 3Tb drives in :mrgreen:

Thanks to all who have contributed to this post. Excellent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:26 am 

I had previously upgraded a ix2-200 to the cloud firmware, then retired the NAS

I've come back to it with fresh disks and am having some issues getting it working again. I've changed the ix2-200d_images folder to ix2-200_images but when following the method the blue USB light wasn't coming on.

Tried a few times and decided to just leave it going with the white led blinking, no luck. So I powered it off, upon putting the USB stick into my computer I noticed there was a TEMP drive created- so I can only assume that it was working. I plugged the disks back into my computer and sure thing the partitions had been created.

... but now the disks won't even spin up (I assume I turned it off mid-processing). I've tried starting it up with 1 disk, both disks, both disks with the reset pin in etc but they won't spin up.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:35 am 

ethos wrote:
Any ideas?

Hi,

For flashing, re-flashing, downgrading ... whatever you do there is one more thing available:

This is U-boot reflashing.

I attached the image here. Hope it will not be broken on the way. Put this image on root of a fat32-formatted empty USB drive and follow next instruction:

To fix your StorCenter ix2 device if it is blinking a white LED light and will not boot:
1. Power off your StorCenter ix2 device by unplugging the power cord from the back.
2. Plug the USB flash drive into any of the USB ports on your device.
3. Hold the Quick Transfer Button in while plugging the power cord back in.
4. Continue to hold the Quick Transfer Button for 20 seconds after you plug the cord back in and your device powers on.
5. Let go of the Quick Transfer Button after 20 seconds.
Note: The white light will continue to blink for approximately one minute after releasing the button.
6. When your device has finished applying the fix, it will shut down.
7. Remove the USB flash drive from the USB port.
8. Power on the device by pressing the power button on the front.

You can find it here:

http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/tilator/Flashware.zip

Last edited by tilator on Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:50 am 

Hi guys, I am a little lost in all information and I hope you can give me some directions.
I have an ix2-200 2tb (mirrored 1tb) and I want to upgrade the cloud edition.
I do not want to exchange the discs, but I want to keep the existing ones.
Do I need to prepare the discs or can I just apply the script? And will the correct data remain in the drives?
Thx
Htca

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:39 am 

Ok. Here is my issue. I successfully upgraded my Ix2-200 with original drives (2x1tb) that were replaced with (2x2tb) because they failed after less than a year. Anyway I kept the old drives just incase and glad I did. So, I was able to confirm update after two times to the new Cloud firmware. Here's my issue. I want to back up my new drive to my Mac OSX Lion via Vantec Sata/IDE to USB as per another forum. Well my Mac will not read the Linux partition. . So with much research (downloading and installing free programs) I still cannot read my drives to copy my info. I've i installed MacFuse with ext2. I've added a demo of Vmware (virtual machine) and installed Ubuntu and it want even mount the images. I even tried Window 7 with Ext2FSD drive manager. It will see the partitions as RAW, but will not access them. I don't know much about using the 'Terminal' but I've tried to access drive via 'mount'Ve and others that forums are using and the drive is not being read or accessed. I've used the 'sudo' in the command prompt. I know you can do some damag if not careful in Terminal mode. But the info on the disk is crucial and needs to be copied before I format my drives.

Did I mention, that I've already done a test upgrade with my old drives the Iomega Cloud firmware will no longer read my new drives because they were using the old firmware. So I can't even access through the NAS anymore.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:32 am 

In Ubuntu, with the disks connected, install mdadm
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mdadm
I *think* this will automatically assemble the raid-array. Else you'll have to do it manually
Code:
sudo mdadm --assemble --scan
Now you can mount the array.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:37 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
In Ubuntu, with the disks connected, install mdadm
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mdadm
I *think* this will automatically assemble the raid-array. Else you'll have to do it manually
Code:
sudo mdadm --assemble --scan
Now you can mount the array.

When you say mount the raid array, its as if you are speaking of two more disks. I do have two, but they are mirrored, so I only need the info off of one. Will this work on just one disk as well? Can you explain what this code actually does. I have certificate in info systems, but very little knowledge if coding. Because there is no GUI in command prompt or dialog box telling you exactly what its doing or has done, I like to know what im installing.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:30 pm 

Ok. I tried the above code in the terminal. It did the updates (which you can do per the desktop) and then I tried to install 'mdadm'. It asked me if I want to install
mdadm postfix. I typed 'y' and then it brought me to another screen where I need to make a selection, but it wouldn't let me. I tried again and said 'n', but this didn't work
either. When I type the command 'sudo mdadm --assemble --scan' it says, 'sudo: mdadm: command not found'.

It looked liked installing the mdadm postfix is for some kind of mail client. It doesn't seem like it has anything to do with external hard drives and mounting them.

This is what I got:

[color=#00BFFF]mattkornegay@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install mdadm
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
postfix
Suggested packages:
procmail postfix-mysql postfix-pgsql postfix-ldap postfix-pcre sasl2-bin
dovecot-common postfix-cdb postfix-doc
Recommended packages:
default-mta mail-transport-agent
The following NEW packages will be installed:
mdadm postfix
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 41 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/1,637 kB of archives.
After this operation, 4,060 kB of additional disk space will be used.
[/color]

Then I got this after typing yes the second time around:

[color=#00BFFF]Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
Selecting previously unselected package mdadm.
(Reading database ... 167901 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking mdadm (from .../mdadm_3.2.3-2ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package postfix.
Unpacking postfix (from .../postfix_2.9.3-2~12.04.1_i386.deb) ...
debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/postfix_2.9.3-2~12.04.1_i386.deb (--unpack):
subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
Processing triggers for doc-base ...
Processing 6 added doc-base files...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
dpkg: error processing man-db (--unpack):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
ureadahead will be reprofiled on next reboot
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/postfix_2.9.3-2~12.04.1_i386.deb
man-db
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
[/color]

Any help?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:33 am 

Ah, yes. Postfix seems unrelated, but isn't. Mdadm is a tool to maintain raid arrays, but it is also a daemon which keeps an eye on the health of the array(s) during uptime, and which sends you a mail if an array is degraded. So a mailserver is needed.
Of course you're not interested at the moment in this feature, and I'm sure there is some option of apt-get to keep it from installing postfix (something like --no-dependents), but you are right, for a raid1 array you need only one disk, and the array doesn't even need to be assembled.

Find the datapartition:
Code:
cat /proc/partitions
You can recognize it at it's size (in kB). I suppose it's name will be sdb2, or something like that.
Than create a mountpoint and mount the partition:
Code:
mkdir /tmp/mountpoint
sudo mount -t xfs -o ro /dev/sdb2 /tmp/mountpoint
Of course sdb2 has to be exchanged by the real data partition. By explicitely specifying the filesystem (-t xfs) the raid part is ignored, and the partition just mounted. -r ro mounts it read-only. That is a good practice when recovering data. If there is something damaged, it won't damage any further, and, in this case, the array won't get off sync.
You can use the gui to access your data in /tmp/mountpoint.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:03 pm 

I would never have thought it would be this complicated to mount a stupid hardrive. What has Iomega done, made a proprietary partition unable to
be mount on anything but their hardware. I'm not sure what else to do. I can see the partitions and 'testdisk' shows them as Linux.
This is the result of the code you told me to run:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb2,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

I'm not sure what other options are available. If an OS that has the same partition type can read the disk, where else do you go from here?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:55 am 

mkornegay2 wrote:
What has Iomega done, made a proprietary partition unable to be mount on anything but their hardware.
AFAIK it's just a standard software raid container, containing a standard xfs filesystem.

Your error means that either Ubuntu doesn't support xfs (cannot imagine), you've got the wrong partition (are you sure it's sdb2?), the filesystem is damaged (that would also explain why the NAS doesn't mount it anymore), or after all the filesystem isn't xfs (unfortunately the wiki is taciturn about the stock configuration, I got the filesystem information from smallnetbuilder.com)

It could be helpful to follow the suggestion of mount, and execute 'dmesg | tail' after the mounting fails.
'cat /proc/filesystems' will tell if xfs is supported. If xfs is not in the list, try 'sudo modprobe xfs' to load the filesystem driver before trying to mount.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:18 am 

I acquired a 3rd iX2-200 for the low price of free and wanted to try this cloud upgrade.
I used the posted upgrade instructions to upgrade to the cloud version and it was successful but only on the 2nd try
Then 2 reboots. This one has only 2x 500Gb HDD's and now I want put in larger HDD's (2x 2Gb) and I have noticed
That heat is an issue with the case design, has anyone found what HDD's work the best?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:00 am 

rmatthews wrote:

That heat is an issue with the case design, has anyone found what HDD's work the best?

I replaced my factory Seagate drives (2x1TB) with Seagate Barracuda LP (Green) 5900rpm drives (2x2TB). They are cheaper then
the factory replacements (go figure). Whatever you do, DO NOT put 7200rpm drives because of the heat. Make sure you use two
of the same drives. You can replace with WD or whatever. Green drives are better because they help with the heat issue.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next