Format and use with Ubuntu

StorCenter ix2-200 Network Storage
gwfran

Format and use with Ubuntu

Post by gwfran » Mon May 07, 2012 12:42 am

I have a StorCenter ix2-200 connected to my network. I also have a Dell 2850 server with Ubuntu connected to the network. I need to use the StorCenter to extend the server's available HD space. Unfortunately, the StorCenter doesn't appear to be completely compatible with Linux. It supports NFS, but that isn't sufficient to crank the permissions down (user and group) which is necessary to execute apps installed on the StorCenter.

So... does anyone know how to format the StorCenter as ext3 or ext4?

Thanks!

Mijzelf

Re: Format and use with Ubuntu

Post by Mijzelf » Mon May 07, 2012 1:35 pm

I don't think the filesystem is the problem, but the (lack of) NFS support in the webinterface. The Iomega's I've seen are Debian based, so if you can get shell access, you could try to edit /etc/exports to your needs, and restart the NFS server.

gwfran

Post by gwfran » Tue May 08, 2012 4:22 am

Well, I've gone in and modified exports and no dice. The problem remains when I attempt to fire up mysql with the data directory on the StorCenter drives I get a permissions error. Adding the mysql user to passwords, enforcing it in exports, and changing the ownership on the data files still results in mysql recording a permission error in the error.log file.

Any ideas?

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Wed May 09, 2012 7:13 pm

gwfran wrote:Any ideas?
Well, yes.
  • Did you restart the server, and check if the restart didn't revert your changes?
  • Have you checked if the /etc/exports is used at all? (Maybe the startscript specifies a different file?).

gwfran

Post by gwfran » Thu May 10, 2012 12:54 am

:-)

Thanks mijzelf. Yes, I've confirmed that restarting doesn't lose the configs and the exports file is also used. I can take a user on one system with a specific uid and call him something other than anon on the ix2 by setting the uid to a unique name.

tilator

Post by tilator » Mon May 28, 2012 3:21 pm

gwfran wrote: Any ideas?
Is Debian an option to you? It's quite easy to install in the device.