General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 6:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:37 pm 

Cirmson wrote:
Does offset mean, it starts reading at 0x100000 and everything is dealigned by this value?
Yes. On 0 - 0x100000 u-boot and it's environment are located.
Quote:
Can I change the boot script where it says 'kernel_start=0x100000' to a correct value and how?
Code:
setenv kernel_start=<whatever>
saveenv

When you look at the environment you see
Code:
bootcmd=run loadzimage; run loadinitrd; run mk_mtdparts; setenv bootargs $(console) $(bootargs_root) $(bootargs_end) $(mtdparts); bootm 0x40000 0x900000
This is the bootscript. It runs loadzimage, then it runs loadinitrd, then it runs mk_mtdparts, then it sets bootargs, and finally it executes the image on 0x40000, with 0x900000 as param.

So what actually is executed:
Code:
    kernel_start=0x100000
    kernel_size=0x300000
loadzimage=nand read.e 0x40000 $(kernel_start) $(kernel_size)
    initrd_start=0x400000
    initrd_size=0x300000
loadinitrd=nand read.e 0x900000 $(initrd_start) $(initrd_size)
mk_mtdparts=setenv mtdparts mtdparts=nand_mtd:0x80000@0(uboot),0x20000@0xa0000(env),0x20000@0xc0000(env2),$(kernel_size)@$(kernel_start)(uImage),$(initrd_size)@$(initrd_start)(initrd),0x3f800000@0x800000(boot),1024m@0x0(flash)
setenv bootargs $(console) $(bootargs_root) $(bootargs_end) $(mtdparts)
bootm 0x40000 0x900000

And now I see my remark about the kernel_start was wrong. The kernel is loaded from flash offset $(kernel_start) to 0x40000. So that is OK.

Quote:
At the moment the device doesn't even recognize when I press the reset button. It wont even try to load something from usb...
That is normal. Pressing of the reset button is detected by a script in initrd, which then searches for connected usb devices. When the kernel doesn't boot this ain't gonna work.

Quote:
Any idea, how I can set everything back to a state where everything behaves normally and the kernel is loaded properly? USB, tftp... every method would be fine!

No sorry. As far as I can see the box should just boot. Are you *very* sure you have the right kernel? And also, the baudrate you are using is 115200?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:40 pm 

Yes, i'm pretty sure. Because suddenly the kernel loaded without a problem. :shock:

I don't know what kind of sorcery that is. Everything I did right before it was finally working, was what I have tried before. resetenv, changing the kernel_start parameter, changing the initrd_start parameter, setting everything back to what it was before (since the results got even worse) and of course finishing everytime with saveenv.

And suddenly at one time (when I expected, that resetenv again wont have an effect on the u-boot environment or anything else) I saw the ongoing bootlog...

Maybe it was one little bit but I'm not able to say what was differently the last time.

Thank you anyway for the enlightment, I understand much better now how u-boot works. Plus I have learned a lesson and wont touch it again ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:20 pm 

AntarcticPL wrote:
Thanks a million times !!!
Recovered my bricked NAS.

Steps were almost the same with some differences for me:

1. download ftp://asgimage:uUE25pjNb@dropbox.iomega ... .23976.zip. It is firmware imager.

2. Unpack archive, Insert USB flash drive (> 1 Gb). And run ix2-ng-4.0.8.23976.exe from archive. This utility burns correct unencrypted firmware to flash drive (\emctools\ix2-dl_images\).

3. Copy zImage and initrd files from the USB flash drive to Linux desktop

4. Safely (!!!) remove usb drive after finish.

5. Delete all partitions from new HDD that you want use in NAS. Format the HDD and do not initiate it with GPT or MBR partition table.

6. Write loader files to HDD with dd command in Linux (I used Lubuntu version on CD). Replace the X in sdX by the letter of the HDD you plugged in your computer.

You need to perform a 'sudo -s' command in Linux first to do these steps.
dd if=zImage of=/dev/sdX bs=512 seek=2048

dd if=initrd of=/dev/sdX bs=512 seek=8192

7. Insert HDD and USB Flash in ix2-dl, press POWER button and insert power cable.
Ix2 turns on and starts booting, when two red light turns on, release the POWER button.

8. After successful firmware update the ix2 powers down automatically.
Job done !

I used the same image, but I follow the pdf file that is inside zip file. So, basically after creating the usb stick, I just plug-it in to the ix2 unit and pressed the RESET button until the white led start blinking. After around 10 minutes, the unit turn off, and everything was working again. Simple as that. :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:59 pm 

Hi,
I tried all different or same methods mentioned in this thread (dZone, ice1374, AntarcticPL, tproenca).
I tried the recover with the newest firmware available (4.1.102.29716). The last used firmware on my ix2 was 4.0.xxx...
But my NAS (ix2-dl[ng]) do nothing. When I power on the NAS, the POWER (white) LED is on and the HDD (red) LED is also on but only very slightly and the fan are at 100%. The HDD is spinnig up but thats all.
I tried 4 different USB sticks and 3 HDDs but nothing worked.
I really sure the NAS isn't broken because the last time I used her he worked totally fine and i only put her back in her packing for a few months because I thought I don't use her anymore.

Any ideas what to do? :(
I ordered a USB to TTL converter so I can see what's happening when he starts. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:58 pm 

You are answering your own question. Serial log is needed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:21 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
You are answering your own question. Serial log is needed.

Problem...I dont get an output.... :cry: :o
Configs on the screens attached.
Any idea whats wrong?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:13 pm 

First, only connect GND, RX and TX.
Vcc is only needed in rare cases.

Flow control should be off.

If you still don't see anything, try to exchange RX and TX.
If you still don't see anything, short the RX and TX on the adapter. Then you should have a local echo in your terminal. If you don't, check if another comport is available. If not, your adapter doesn't work.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:36 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
First, only connect GND, RX and TX.
Vcc is only needed in rare cases.

Flow control should be off.

If you still don't see anything, try to exchange RX and TX.
If you still don't see anything, short the RX and TX on the adapter. Then you should have a local echo in your terminal. If you don't, check if another comport is available. If not, your adapter doesn't work.

I tried what you said. No output...
When I only connect the RxD I get an output wich you can see on the picture.
But what du you mean with "short the RX and TX on the adapter"? cut the pins?
And what shoud i use as terminal?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:28 pm 

{NUL}? I guess that is the way your terminal shows a '0' character. But it beats me why your nas would output that.

With 'shorting' TX and RX I mean to put a wire between the TX and RX pin of your USB-serial adapter. Normally if you type a character in the terminal it's outputted over TX. And the terminal shows everything it receives on RX. So if you short them, you should see what you type. If not, your USB-serial adapter is the first suspect.

As terminal everything is fine which can send keystrokes over the serial port, and show everything it receives. PuTTY, Hyperterminal, Procomm (does that still exist), Telix (idem), minicom, ...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:52 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
{NUL}? I guess that is the way your terminal shows a '0' character. But it beats me why your nas would output that.

With 'shorting' TX and RX I mean to put a wire between the TX and RX pin of your USB-serial adapter. Normally if you type a character in the terminal it's outputted over TX. And the terminal shows everything it receives on RX. So if you short them, you should see what you type. If not, your USB-serial adapter is the first suspect.

As terminal everything is fine which can send keystrokes over the serial port, and show everything it receives. PuTTY, Hyperterminal, Procomm (does that still exist), Telix (idem), minicom, ...

I don't know where the 0 comes from. The NAS was powered off when the 0 output appears.

The adapter is totally fine. I tried it and I get the input back. I also connect my Raspberry Pi and get the boot sequence and log in prompt.
But nothing with NAS. So is the NAS broken? I don't get it, how!! I just put in an HDD and try to start but noting happens so I did a little research and found this thread and tried the things mentioned here.

I remember that the NAS did this sometimes before when I shut her down and disconnect power. After this, sometimes he won't start. Only white LED on and fan at 100%. But I just had to disconnect from power and wait a minute or so and put the power cable back and he starts.
But now nothing works.... :(

Or is it possible that the adapter don't work for the NAS? It's this one: USB PL2303 RS232 TTL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:47 pm 

r4p70r wrote:
I remember that the NAS did this sometimes before when I shut her down and disconnect power. After this, sometimes he won't start. Only white LED on and fan at 100%. But I just had to disconnect from power and wait a minute or so and put the power cable back and he starts.
But now nothing works.... :(
Have you already measured the power supply?

Quote:
Or is it possible that the adapter don't work for the NAS? It's this one: USB PL2303 RS232 TTL
Theoretically, yes. Serial is serial, that should be no problem, but from the description I can't find if this thing is 3.3V TTL or 5V TTL. Every recent NAS I know of uses 3.3V TTL, and for low levels of 3.3V, a 5V TTL adapter might fail.

According to the photograph the convertor has a Vcc and a 3.3V pin. That 3.3V suggests the convertor does 'something' with 3.3V. But the name doesn't specify a voltage, and TTL without specifiaction normally is 5V.
There are convertors which do both 3.3V and 5V, but I never had one in my hands, and I don't know how to switch. There is hardly room for a jumper. Do you have documentation about that thing?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:17 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
Have you already measured the power supply?

I don't have an multimeter or something like that so I can't measure the power supply. :-/

Mijzelf wrote:
There are convertors which do both 3.3V and 5V, but I never had one in my hands, and I don't know how to switch. There is hardly room for a jumper. Do you have documentation about that thing?

The chip is 2303HX (PL-2303HX Rev B I assume) from Prolific and as far as i can see all the USB to Serial/UART converter from Prolific working with 3.3V. So I think this one uses 3.3V too.

This is all I can find:
Datasheet.
PL-2303HX Migration Guide
A schematic.
discuss about the chip

As I understand it, it can be 3.3 volts or 5 volts. That depends on how the chip was connected right?

Here some pics of the converter:
Front_1
Front_2
Front_3
Front_4
Back

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:08 pm 

According to that documentation a reference voltage should be supplied at pin 4 (the dot on bottom right is pin 1), which defines the I/O logic. Unfortunately I can't see how that pin is wired.

You have 5 pins, GND, RX, TX, Vcc and 3.3V. That Vcc and 3.3V seems redundant. So maybe the 3.3V pin is wired to pin 4, to supply an alternate reference voltage. Unfortunately you already tried that arrangement, according to your older photo's. Did you also try to exchange RX and TX in that configuration?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:08 pm 

Quote:
Did you also try to exchange RX and TX in that configuration?

I tried it but no difference. It seems that nothing comes out of the NAS pins.
I think I will use my warranty and get a new one. :mrgreen:

If you have another idea what to do, let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:34 pm 

Hello, The links to the image seem to no longer be active. Can someone please provide a new link or be so kind as to do a dropbox share? (dropbox account theblacktruth+dropbox@gmail.com)

Much thanks! :!: :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next