Iomega ix2-dl - how to replace drives

StorCenter ix2-200 Network Storage
Mijzelf
Posts: 6194
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:45 am

Re: Iomega ix2-dl - how to replace drives

Post by Mijzelf » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:55 pm

Here you can find the imager for the EzMedia. The firmware is identical. You only have to rename a single directory after extracting it.
The directory name is specified somewhere in the EzMedia subforum. Googling for that filename in forum.nas-central.org will lead you to that thread.

theblacktruth
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:48 am

Re: Iomega ix2-dl - how to replace drives

Post by theblacktruth » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:59 pm

Many, many thanks!!

boow
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:50 pm

Re: Iomega ix2-dl - how to replace drives

Post by boow » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:01 pm

Mijzelf wrote:Here you can find the imager for the EzMedia. The firmware is identical. You only have to rename a single directory after extracting it.
The directory name is specified somewhere in the EzMedia subforum. Googling for that filename in forum.nas-central.org will lead you to that thread.
Hello
I tried it on my ix2-ng and it works! But, you know, EZ Media is a single-drive model, so my ix2-ng now works like it has only 1 hdd. There are 2x1TB installed, but I see only 1tb and can't see any disk settings in web interface, no raid settings etc..
The only other firmware I found is for ix2-200 and I'm not sure it's suitable. Tried to download from lenovo https://lenovo-na-en.custhelp.com/app/a ... a_id/31178 but both are broken archives

If someone has the right firmware, please upload. Thanks

r4p70r
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:46 am

Re: Iomega ix2-dl - how to replace drives

Post by r4p70r » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:23 pm

theblacktruth wrote:Hello, The links to the image seem to no longer be active. Can someone please provide a new link or be so kind as to do a dropbox share? (dropbox account theblacktruth+dropbox@gmail.com)

Much thanks! :!: :)
All images are up. I can see them all.
Or wich images you mean?

boow
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:50 pm

Re: Iomega ix2-dl - how to replace drives

Post by boow » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:36 pm

boow wrote:
Mijzelf wrote:Here you can find the imager for the EzMedia. The firmware is identical. You only have to rename a single directory after extracting it.
The directory name is specified somewhere in the EzMedia subforum. Googling for that filename in forum.nas-central.org will lead you to that thread.
Hello
I tried it on my ix2-ng and it works! But, you know, EZ Media is a single-drive model, so my ix2-ng now works like it has only 1 hdd. There are 2x1TB installed, but I see only 1tb and can't see any disk settings in web interface, no raid settings etc..
The only other firmware I found is for ix2-200 and I'm not sure it's suitable. Tried to download from lenovo https://lenovo-na-en.custhelp.com/app/a ... a_id/31178 but both are broken archives

If someone has the right firmware, please upload. Thanks
upd:
found this link on some chinese website http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?uk=2936 ... =649399527
works good

It works even if you don't manually write zImage and initrd to the 2048 and 8192 sec of hdd

jmar83
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:06 pm

Re: Iomega ix2-dl - how to replace drives

Post by jmar83 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:12 pm

hi

all links are down neither iomega's dropbox nor hotfile.com is still accessible.

does somebody have that files?

i have an ix2-ng from lenovo. do i need to begin from version 3.x or is there a full 4.x version available?

i have 2x wiped 160gb sata-2 disks (it's just a freaky project, wanna use it as a webserver ;-)) hope that will (theoretically) work?

thank you for your feedbacks.
regards, jan

amr42
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Iomega ix2-dl - how to replace drives

Post by amr42 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:20 pm

I would like to request some help here to get a faulty ix2-ng back to life. I have flashing red light and support access, and can handle simple to medium complexity linux commands. None of the NFS mounts for the shares are active, but clearly the device has booted fine.

Can anyone here help me perhaps?

Thanks,

A

animeva
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:13 pm

Re: Iomega ix2-dl - how to replace drives

Post by animeva » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:16 pm

does anyone have a firmware imager that they can send over to me? I am trying to fix my bricked ix2-dl

anyone still have a working copy? all the links Ive seen dont work =(

Mijzelf
Posts: 6194
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:45 am

Re: Iomega ix2-dl - how to replace drives

Post by Mijzelf » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:06 pm

You can try this one.

davidgrohl
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:01 pm

Re: Iomega ix2-dl - how to replace drives

Post by davidgrohl » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:08 pm

I just created a recovery image based off the latest firmware (at time of writing) ix2-ng-4.1.112.33292.tgz, if anyone would like a copy of it - let me know. The boot.tgz is ~250mb so I won't upload it unless there is someone who wants it.

All the user would need to do then would be copy the boot.tgz to a folder on a usb stick, and use a Linux live cd to copy two files to one of the hard drives in the nas.

The other advice I would give, the firmware recovery process seems like it is not working, with lots of flashing of the power light. But eventually it does work.

Gtoonders
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:33 pm

Re: Iomega ix2-dl - how to replace drives

Post by Gtoonders » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:48 pm

I would really like to receive the recovery image. I have tried to pm you, but i'm not sure you received the message.

serafino000
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:35 pm

Re: Iomega ix2-dl - how to replace drives

Post by serafino000 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:52 am

Hello,

yesterday i fixed my ix2-dl with the latest firmware with recovery file.
the recovery file i found it on this page:
https://deepwater.lenovo.com/wiki/index ... =Downloads

when i run the .exe i have an usb stick with all features.
i put the usb stick on linux pc (run on vmware workstation) and i saw the files, i copy the files from vm to my pc and i format my usb as fat32 and i put the files on it:
emctools\ix2-ng_images\imager.tgz (i rename it) and i delete all other files.
from images folder i copy the files on vm to the folder: home/serafino (serafino is the vm name) and i put my hard disk 2Tb with usb kit on vm and i run these comands:


dd if=/home/serafino/zImage of=/dev/sdb bs=512 seek=2048
dd if=/home/serafino/initrd of=/dev/sdb bs=512 seek=8192

then i have secure disconnect the disk from vm and pc and i put it on my nas box, put the usb stick and disconnect the lan cable.
with power button pressed i put the power cable on the nas after 3 seconds the leds are red and after 35 seconds the white led blinking and the blue led light. just now the recovery are started and i leave the power button.
after 8 minutes the nas was will automatically shut down. Unplug the USB disk put the lan cable and power on the NAS.
after 3-4 minutes you can connect to the webinterface(The NAS it has an ip address from dhcp and you must find it).

the unencrypted file i 'll try to put on the internet, when i upload it i put here the link.

thank you.

jbum320
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: Iomega ix2-dl - how to replace drives

Post by jbum320 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:50 pm

serafino000 wrote:Hello,

yesterday i fixed my ix2-dl with the latest firmware with recovery file.
the recovery file i found it on this page:
https://deepwater.lenovo.com/wiki/index ... =Downloads

when i run the .exe i have an usb stick with all features.
i put the usb stick on linux pc (run on vmware workstation) and i saw the files, i copy the files from vm to my pc and i format my usb as fat32 and i put the files on it:
emctools\ix2-ng_images\imager.tgz (i rename it) and i delete all other files.
from images folder i copy the files on vm to the folder: home/serafino (serafino is the vm name) and i put my hard disk 2Tb with usb kit on vm and i run these comands:


dd if=/home/serafino/zImage of=/dev/sdb bs=512 seek=2048
dd if=/home/serafino/initrd of=/dev/sdb bs=512 seek=8192

then i have secure disconnect the disk from vm and pc and i put it on my nas box, put the usb stick and disconnect the lan cable.
with power button pressed i put the power cable on the nas after 3 seconds the leds are red and after 35 seconds the white led blinking and the blue led light. just now the recovery are started and i leave the power button.
after 8 minutes the nas was will automatically shut down. Unplug the USB disk put the lan cable and power on the NAS.
after 3-4 minutes you can connect to the webinterface(The NAS it has an ip address from dhcp and you must find it).

the unencrypted file i 'll try to put on the internet, when i upload it i put here the link.

thank you.
Hello, can you put here the link? Thank you.

serafino000
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:35 pm

Re: Iomega ix2-dl - how to replace drives

Post by serafino000 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:30 pm

here is the link with unencrypted files: http://www.easybytez.com/sbpgdlrffgmk

Mastsrl
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:10 pm

Re: Iomega ix2-dl - how to replace drives

Post by Mastsrl » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:12 pm

ok now i'm a little confused because in this thread there are MULTIPLE ways to recover....

so letme fire off the questions:

1) the ix2-ng-4.0.2.9960-recovery.zip that mijzelfs posted, that had the \emctools\imager.tgz file, what do i do with it?, do i simply put it in the usb drive and boot the NAS with it DIRECTLY?(just like the ix4 series) without needing to edit anything?

2) Serafino's instructions use a newer recovery and you DD it to a SINGLE drive, ¿what happens to the 2nd HDD?(the ix2-ng has two HDD bays), do you need to put the same image to BOTH drives?, or you just DD it to the first, connect the second and the unit does the mirroring magic by itself?

edit:
i did some tests, using mijzelf 4.0.2 i DDed the files to ONE drive, recovered with only ONE HDD plugged and it worked fine but i encountered two problems:
a) was that afterwards it won't let me upgrade to 4.1.114.33421 (downloaded from lenovo) it simply says "update cannot be applied"
b) i plugged the second drive(with the unit powered off) and now it won't boot, stays with power led lit and 2 minutes after power led turns red, redid recovery(not cleaning drives, only putting the usb and reset procedure), unit did the procedures, turned itelf off... same problem, red led, no answer to ping anything.

edit2:
success!.
i used Serafino's file, but the filename or something is wrong, because it recovers version 4.1.112.33292.
Anyway, put the initrd and zimage, plugged the TWO drives, started the recovery process and it worked perfectly.
After reboot i had to upgrade to 4.1.114.33421 with the regular download file, now the RAID is reconstructing

Post Reply