General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:48 am 

Hi there,

I have been running 2x Iomega StorCenter ix2 2TB devices for a year or so now and have found a recurring issue with both of them.

Some folders appear to have file permissions issues. I am not sure why. Some folders on various shares cannot be renamed and I cannot copy any new files into them. I seem to have READ access on the folders but not write access - this is something I have not set as I use READ / WRITE / EXECUTE for Everyone as a permission by default.

To fix, I have tried to remove all permissions from the folder and then set them again to write for Everyone but this doesn't work either.

I also tried to transfer the files and rename the folders using FTP access, but this gives me a permission error also:-

Response: 550 test.avi: Permission denied

Is there a way to fix this without deleting the entire Share and recreating it (which I what I normally have to do!!).

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:12 pm 

Hi,

You might have resolved this issue by now, you might not have but I'll post a response for the next person as there's rock all on the internet telling you how to fix this problem.

I've had the same issue with my Iomega StorCentre ix2-200 Cloud Edition that's been bugging me for a while now but I've just not got around to fixing until today. As I know these things are built on Linux I figured it would be quite easy to fix using a few simple Linux commands. I've just done this on mine and it's working perfectly again. :D

The symptoms were:

- Unable to delete certain files & folders.
- Unable to move certain files & folders.

I use mainly OSX and connect to my NAS using either SMB or AFP. The symptoms occurred over either connection and even when connecting to the NAS using the admin user accounts I'd created. I'm not too sure how this happened but somehow the POSIX permissions seemed to get a little screwed. I hadn't changed them as I only use my NAS at home so security isn't a big concern for me...

Anyway, down to the fix.. In a nutshell you want to SSH onto the NAS so you can type some commands into the Linux Kernel directly rather than using the Iomega Web GUI (which is limited in it's function as far as this goes), then take ownership of the folders and files so you can reset the permissions.

Step 1 - SSH

Before you can SSH onto the Iomega you need to enable the option. This is in a hidden menu from the Web GUI.

1. Login as normal to https://[NAS IP address]/manage.html - you need to authenticate using an admin account.
2. Next in the browser address bar type https://[NAS IP address]/diagnostics.html (depending on your firmware version this may also be https://[NAS IP address]/support.html
3. Select the option to "Allow SSH & SFTP" and leave the default port of 22.
4. Click Apply.

Step 2 - Connect using SSH

OSX

1. Launch Terminal
2. Type ssh root@[NAS IP address]
3. (the default password is 'soho')

Windows

Download an application such as PuTTY (it's free), connect using the NAS IP with the credentials of username 'root' and password of 'soho'.

Step 3 - Take ownership of affected folders and reset permissions

1. From the command line type 'ls' and press return - you will see a list of the folders on the NAS. You should see a folder called 'nfs', this is where the NAS shares are found.
2. Type 'cd nfs' and press return - this will take you to the root of the nfs folder.
3. Type 'ls' and press return - you should be presented with a list of your NAS shares.
4. To view permissions of the shares type 'ls -l' and press return - you will now see the POSIX permissions and the owner of the folders (this is the bit that seems to get screwed up) you will see something like this to the left of each share:

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root root

(the translation for this is r=read,w=write,x=execute) - the last 2 apply to user and group and you should be able to see that they only have only read and execute, we want it to look like this:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 [user] root

5. Take ownership by typing the following command:

chown [user] “Share Name” -R

The user should be the admin user you connect to the NAS Web GUI with.
-R = recursive so applies the change to all sub files & folders.
If your folder or share has a space in it be sure to encapsulate in speech marks (" ") or it will not work
The share name is also case sensitive, so type it as it looks or it will not work.

Type 'ls -l' and you will see the POSIX change to look like this:

lrwxr-xr-x [user] root

That's the first bit done and now you can tell you now have ownership of the folder, so long as you used the -R you will have changed the ownership on all sub files and folders too.

6. Reset permissions by typing the following command:

chmod u+rwx,g+rwx “Share Name” -R

Type 'ls -l' again, you should now see the POSIX permissions look like this:

lwrxrwxrwx [user] root

u= user permission
g= group permission
+= adds the permission
rxw= read, write, execute
-R= recursive so again, resets permissions on all sub files and folders

7. Repeat for each share with defective permissions.

Real life example if the above is too much to take in....

Let's imagine I have an Iomega admin user called 'Nate' & a share called 'TV Shows' with busted up permissions...

On my Mac I'll Open Terminal and just type the following commands:

ssh root@192.168.XX.XX
[enter soho for password]
cd nfs
chown nate “TV Shows” -R
chmod u+rwx,g+rwx “TV Shows” -R
logout

It's that easy to fix up the broken permissions on your Iomega NAS - I hope this helps! :)

Nate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:36 pm 

I really appreciate the reply but I have now changed my NAS to a Netgear device which is far more reliable. Thank you :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:41 pm 

Dude, you are my hero!

I have been suffering with this issue for half a year.
After spending hours googling on this issue I chose to create a dual boot (Bootcamp) as a temporary fix... Haven't seen this linux fix before. Hating my macbook for it, as Windows was working fine with it. Nearly sold my macbook due to this issue.

Your fix did the trick.

FINALLY someone who actually provides the answer. THANKS A MILLION!!
(Created an account for this forum especially to thank you ;) )

CHEERS!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:14 pm 

NateUK wrote:
Hi,

You might have resolved this issue by now, you might not have but I'll post a response for the next person as there's rock all on the internet telling you how to fix this problem.

I've had the same issue with my Iomega StorCentre ix2-200 Cloud Edition that's been bugging me for a while now but I've just not got around to fixing until today. As I know these things are built on Linux I figured it would be quite easy to fix using a few simple Linux commands. I've just done this on mine and it's working perfectly again. :D

The symptoms were:

- Unable to delete certain files & folders.
- Unable to move certain files & folders.

I use mainly OSX and connect to my NAS using either SMB or AFP. The symptoms occurred over either connection and even when connecting to the NAS using the admin user accounts I'd created. I'm not too sure how this happened but somehow the POSIX permissions seemed to get a little screwed. I hadn't changed them as I only use my NAS at home so security isn't a big concern for me...

Anyway, down to the fix.. In a nutshell you want to SSH onto the NAS so you can type some commands into the Linux Kernel directly rather than using the Iomega Web GUI (which is limited in it's function as far as this goes), then take ownership of the folders and files so you can reset the permissions.

Step 1 - SSH

Before you can SSH onto the Iomega you need to enable the option. This is in a hidden menu from the Web GUI.

1. Login as normal to https://[NAS IP address]/manage.html - you need to authenticate using an admin account.
2. Next in the browser address bar type https://[NAS IP address]/diagnostics.html (depending on your firmware version this may also be https://[NAS IP address]/support.html
3. Select the option to "Allow SSH & SFTP" and leave the default port of 22.
4. Click Apply.

Step 2 - Connect using SSH

OSX

1. Launch Terminal
2. Type ssh root@[NAS IP address]
3. (the default password is 'soho')

Windows

Download an application such as PuTTY (it's free), connect using the NAS IP with the credentials of username 'root' and password of 'soho'.

Step 3 - Take ownership of affected folders and reset permissions

1. From the command line type 'ls' and press return - you will see a list of the folders on the NAS. You should see a folder called 'nfs', this is where the NAS shares are found.
2. Type 'cd nfs' and press return - this will take you to the root of the nfs folder.
3. Type 'ls' and press return - you should be presented with a list of your NAS shares.
4. To view permissions of the shares type 'ls -l' and press return - you will now see the POSIX permissions and the owner of the folders (this is the bit that seems to get screwed up) you will see something like this to the left of each share:

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root root

(the translation for this is r=read,w=write,x=execute) - the last 2 apply to user and group and you should be able to see that they only have only read and execute, we want it to look like this:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 [user] root

5. Take ownership by typing the following command:

chown [user] “Share Name” -R

The user should be the admin user you connect to the NAS Web GUI with.
-R = recursive so applies the change to all sub files & folders.
If your folder or share has a space in it be sure to encapsulate in speech marks (" ") or it will not work
The share name is also case sensitive, so type it as it looks or it will not work.

Type 'ls -l' and you will see the POSIX change to look like this:

lrwxr-xr-x [user] root

That's the first bit done and now you can tell you now have ownership of the folder, so long as you used the -R you will have changed the ownership on all sub files and folders too.

6. Reset permissions by typing the following command:

chmod u+rwx,g+rwx “Share Name” -R

Type 'ls -l' again, you should now see the POSIX permissions look like this:

lwrxrwxrwx [user] root

u= user permission
g= group permission
+= adds the permission
rxw= read, write, execute
-R= recursive so again, resets permissions on all sub files and folders

7. Repeat for each share with defective permissions.

Real life example if the above is too much to take in....

Let's imagine I have an Iomega admin user called 'Nate' & a share called 'TV Shows' with busted up permissions...

On my Mac I'll Open Terminal and just type the following commands:

ssh root@192.168.XX.XX
[enter soho for password]
cd nfs
chown nate “TV Shows” -R
chmod u+rwx,g+rwx “TV Shows” -R
logout

It's that easy to fix up the broken permissions on your Iomega NAS - I hope this helps! :)

Nate

MAN!!!! THANK YOU!!!
I HATE THIS STORAGE, AND YOU ARE MAKING MY LIFE EASIER!
=)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:17 pm 

I'm so glad I posted this fix.. It's been a couple of years and now the permissions on my Iomega NAS are up the wall again - well.. no, they were until 5 minutes ago when I googled to jog my memory and it brought up my old fix!!!

See everyone, it pays to share, if I wouldn't have posted this I'd have been scratching my head all afternoon trying to remember what I did to fix it the first time....

Also, to chefke & deniscabaldi - glad this helped you out!