General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:26 pm 

I've installed fvdw_sl_firmware 16-1-9feb2016 on a LaCie 5bigv1 and it is working fine. In the install_fvdw_sl_firmware_hlp.htm file, the possibility of updating u-boot on this device with GPT support is mentioned:

"If your boot loader doesn't support GPT and you want to use it, then you will need to write a new version of u-boot to flash memory of the nas.
You can do this with the fvdw-sl console for some devices (see list of u-boot version in the tftp folder.). "

I am interested in being able to use 5 3TB disks in the unit (as opposed to a MBR boot disk partitioned to <2 TB).

Is there a version of u-boot that supports GPT for the 5bigv1 or is there a procedure to create/modify the code?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:56 pm 

to my knowledge there is no version of u-boot for 5big1 available the supports GPT partition tables

In principle it is possible to compile a new u-boot version that could support GPT but that's not an easy task and has a risk. If the new compiled version put is in flash memory of your nas and is not ok it will fail to load and will not run and your nas will become non functional and very difficult to bring back to life. You need will special aids, tools and knowledge to restore a working u-boot in flash.
The 5big1 is an orion based nas and I compiled u-boot image for orion based devices in the past but not for 5big1. But the source code is available, in addition we will need the dram registry addresses to be able to make a functional u-boot image. I don't have these but those could be retrieved from copying them out of the header of the uImage of U-boot in flash if we are able to read flash to copy u-boot. You see not an easy taks and as said with risks to end up with a non functional nas.

Alternative route.
The fvdw-sl kernel supports disks with gpt partition tables , so you could use a 2TB disk with msdos partition table in slot 1 with the firmware and put 3TB disks in the other 4 slots. The bootloader will be able to load the firmware from disk 1 and load the kernel with gpt support enabling you to access the 3TB disks in slot 2-5. If you want to use raid then you can only build an array using disk 2-5 in this setup

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:56 pm 

Thank you for the information, I think I'll use an MBR boot disk then.