I'm a Newbie an struggling any help much needed

AlanGidman

I'm a Newbie an struggling any help much needed

Post by AlanGidman » Thu May 01, 2014 9:51 am

I received a Lacie Big5 with the original 5TB raided to RAID 5… I now want to upgrade this with 5 x2TB which I have installed

I have formatted The Lacie with one of the old drives but this then only gave me a capacity of 1TB of Storage instead of the 2TB.

I have now put all 5 x 2TB in the NAS and now re-formatting to RAID 5, i'm hoping that this will give me back the missing capacity.

Am I doing this right… I don't have access to Linux boxes.

I am creating a new RAID 5, why does it seem to take so long

The lights on the back currently are BAY 1 Solid Blue, BAY 2 Blinking Red, BAY 3 Blinking Red, BAY 4 Solid Blue, BAY 5 Blinking Red

Any help would be much appreciated or a point in the right way… Lacie support seem useless and asking to goto a manual…but the manuals are useless

BlindSummit

Re: I'm a Newbie an struggling any help much needed

Post by BlindSummit » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:05 pm

From my limited understanding, if you have a set of 1TB or 1.5TB drives and replace 1 or more of them with a large capacity drive (2TB in your case) the RAID will only sync across the original 1 or 1.5TB capacity - leaving you with 1TB/500GB unallocated space.

There are means to setup 5 new 2TB drives with a disk image, but I am having problems getting this to work.
Take a look at the posts here.