General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:27 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:24 am 

Hello guys, so I have scoured the internet all day trying to understand what is going on here. I am at a loss.

My Situation: I didn't turn my Lacie 5big (I have no idea if I have a 5big Network 2 or a 5big Network because there is nothing on the actual box that says what it is)

When I finally booted the box it told me that 3 of my 5 1TB drives were defective. So I did not believe what the web interface was telling me so I removed the hard drives from the Lacie and plugged them into my Windows PC. The drives booted up fine so I figured they were corrupted. I formatted the drives.

When I plug them into my Lacie the orb in the front flashes blue for about 1 minute as well as the lights in the back and then it flashes red quickly. The lights in the back turn solid red and I hear the machine shut down.

My Problem: Once the LED starts flashing red I cannot do anything with the Lacie, I can't even ping the machine so I can't access the interface. This means I cant recreate the RAID on the drives.

What I think happened: I think that I may have removed the information that helps the machine boot up and access the web interface (I am not sure but from what I have been reading people with the similar issue seem to believe the partitions on the HDDs are gone)

What I would like to know: HAS ANYONE ever successfully got out of the situation with a Lacie 5Big Network (or Network2) that has the rear HDD lights solid red as well as the front LED flashing red quickly.

If yes, can someone please give me a proper how-to on how to get this up and running.

I have tried with a Live Linux boot cd with this How-To
http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Insta ... 82Big_2%29

Unfortunately, this is for a 2big and even at that the instructions are not very clear so when I arrive at the point where I have to copy the mbr+table.gz I am confronted with this error
gzip: /dev/sda1/ not in gzip format
where /dev/sda1 is my Live Linux USB stick and /dev/sdb1 is my 1TB lacie hard drive

This is the command I run
gzip -dc /dev/sda1/mbr+label.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/sdb1
I also tried
gzip -dc /dev/sda/mbr+label.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/sdb

Which gave the same error.

I would REALLY need help getting this Lacie back to a functional state. I don't care about the information on the drives so if they have to be formatted it doesn't matter.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:47 am 

audi911 wrote:
I have no idea if I have a 5big Network 2 or a 5big Network because there is nothing on the actual box that says what it is
The difference can be seen on the back. A 5Big has 1 network port, and a 5Big2 has two.
But there are also x86 based boxes.
Any idea how old your box is?

Quote:
I think that I may have removed the information that helps the machine boot up
That's an understatement. Most Lacie boxes boot from harddisk, just like a PC. So if you wipe the harddisk, nothing is left (except for the bootloader).

Quote:
What I would like to know: HAS ANYONE ever successfully got out of the situation with a Lacie 5Big Network
As you can read in this forum, it's not easy. The Lacie OS is not designed to be installed by endusers, and Lacie doesn't give any support on that.

Quote:
I would REALLY need help getting this Lacie back to a functional state. I don't care about the information on the drives so if they have to be formatted it doesn't matter.
If you don't care about the exact firmware, I advice you to have a look at http://plugout.net. They have developed a 3th party firmware for almost all Arm bases Lacie boxes, and it's designed to be installed by endusers. And there is support for that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:08 pm 

Hello guys, so I am trying to revive a dead Lacie 5Big Network 1 (it only has 1 network slot in the back)

The Story: I removed the hard drives on the Lacie because it was reporting them as defective. I put them in a Windows box and formatted them.
Once I put them back into the Lacie the Lacie doesn't boot. It flashes quickly on the front LED and the rear LEDs stay solid red.
From what I understand the disks are wiped and need to be put back to the proper firmware.

What I have done: I have downloaded the necessary files ( I think)

fvdw-console-xfvdw-sl-15-3-5big1-30may2014-vs2.part01.rar [23.84 MiB]
fvdw-console-xfvdw-sl-15-3-5big1-30may2014-vs2.part02.rar [23.84 MiB]
fvdw-console-xfvdw-sl-15-3-5big1-30may2014-vs2.part03.rar [9.44 MiB]
UIMAGE-26394-NWSP2CL-5BIG1-33-standalone.zip [1.9 MiB]
busybox-.12.0-full-ulibc.zip [611.22 KiB]

Then I downloaded both

fvdw-sl-console-5-3-15-1-18feb2014-32bits.part01.rar [23.84 MiB]
fvdw-sl-console-5-3-15-1-18feb2014-32bits.part02.rar [23.84 MiB]
fvdw-sl-console-5-3-15-1-18feb2014-32bits.part03.rar [20.76 MiB]

and

fvdw-sl-console-5-3-15-1-18feb2014-64bits.part01.rar [23.84 MiB]
fvdw-sl-console-5-3-15-1-18feb2014-64bits.part02.rar [23.84 MiB]
fvdw-sl-console-5-3-15-1-18feb2014-64bits.part03.rar [20.78 MiB]

I downloaded both because I wanted to see if the error occurred in both 32 and 64 bit.

Once I unsizzed the fvdw-sl-console I went into the TFTP folder renamed NWSP to NWSP-ORG and then renamed 5BIG1 to NWSP and put both unzipped versions of
UIMAGE-26394-NWSP2CL-5BIG1-33-standalone.zip [1.9 MiB]
busybox-.12.0-full-ulibc.zip [611.22 KiB]

I then proceed to run the file fvdw-sl-console.exe

I click on ACTION and INSTALL FWDW-SL FIRMWARE and choose UIMAGE-26394-NWSP2CL-5BIG1-33-standalone.
It then asks me if I have an NWSP2 and I say yes I do.

My NAS is off at this time with all 5 hard drives out.

I proceed to put 1 hard drive in and turn the NAS on.

U-Boot does it's thing and then the DTELNET window pops up.

I then get an error telling me that 192.168.1.252/23 timed out.

What am I doing wrong here? My internal LAN is 192.168.1.X

It should be noted that I CANNOT ping 192.168.1.252 <-- I assume this is supposed to be the U-Boot gives the NAS (I don't know I'm just guessing here)

The ORIGINAL IP address of this NAS was 10.1.10.200

Even after going through these steps the NAS still blinks red quickly on the front LED and the rear LED is a solid red.

I really need help here I cannot understand how to get this NAS operational again.

Can someone help me please?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:19 am 

This is exactly what I do step by step

I go to open my file
Then I choose Install FW
Here are pictures of the files I have in the NSPW and the parent folder
I then choose my image
I then select OK
I then select YES
Image]
THEN WITH MY LACIE POWERED OFF AND 5 OF MY 5 DRIVES OUT OF THE NAS U-BOOT OPENS
I then put my first hard drive in and power up the NAS and after a few seconds this comes up
Then a few more seconds after that this pops up
Then DTELNET appears with the following error
To go further I try to ping 192.168.1.252

After all that procedure my NAS front LED is flash RED quickly and the rear LED where the hard drive is put is Solid Red

I dont know why the pictures didnt come out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:48 am 

Does anyone have any insight on this?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:58 am 

As far as I can see you are doing it right.

For your understanding a short word on what actually happens:
The only piece of software which is running on the 5Big is the bootloader, u-boot. This resides in a 256kB flash rom. U-boot is programmed to read a Linux kernel from harddisk, and start that.
But before it does so, it listens for a short while to UDP broadcasts in the ethernet port. If some magic packet is detected, it reads an IP address from that package, and assigns that to the network port. From that moment on the box can be pinged. Further a low level communication server is launched, which can provide some console functions, and the timeout to starting from disk is interrupted.

The fvdw software starts broadcasting the magic packages, and tries to ping the IP address it assigns. Then you turn on the box, and at certain moment the broadcast is accepted, the box can be pinged, and a 'shell' is opened. That shell is used to let u-boot download a linux kernel from the PC over tftp, and start that.

So far everything seems to work. Although in your screenshots I don't see the actual 'Booting linux' message.

Then the linux kernel (UIMAGE-26394-NWSP2CL-5BIG1-33-standalone) is in charge. It boots, re-initializes the network port, and assigns it a new IP address (when I'm not mistaken it actually assigns 3 of them), and start a telnet daemon.
The fvdw software starts a telnet client, and tries to connect.

This part fails. There can be several reasons. First, your box is not really a 5Bigv1. In that case the kernel is not compatible, and it will just not boot. In your screenshot I see a date Jun 26 2008. If that is right, I guess it is a 5Bigv1, as all other lookalikes are newer (AFAIK).
An other reason can be a damaged kernel. In that case I'd expect u-boot to tell the checksum in uImage is wrong. In that case it won't even be executed.
A third reason can be a hardware defect, causing a kernel panic. You can try to boot without disk, to see if you can get a telnet connection. That is about the only hardware you can remove/exchange.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:11 pm 

Hi audi911,

As written by fvdw, your issue is that the standalone kernel is not loaded! (you can see that in the clunc window)

So the issue is on the user side.

The logical explanation is that fvdwsl console failed to start tftpd. That means that you don't granted this executable (tfpd32.exe)
fvdw wrote:
Did you set your firewall that it allows tftp to pass the firewall ?

I think it is better to post your messages only on plugout.net !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:27 pm 

OK I posted on Plugout.net

http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t ... 563#p17563