General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:34 pm 

Hi all, I read through many of the posts here on the 5big forum and did not find the answer I was looking for. I have a V1 5big that has been working fine for years. A few days ago, I noticed it dropped off the network. After looking at it, I noticed all the drive lights were blinking red. I powered it down and unplugged it for a few minutes, then plugged it back in and tuned it on. Instead of the usual sequence of spin up sounds from each of the 5 drives, it makes a few drive noises (like its trying to spin them up bug fails) and then after several attempts, the drive LEDs blink red and the front LED blinks red. I took the unit apart and did not find anything obviously wrong. I tried booting the system with different drives inserted but no changes. I would be surprised if all of the drives have failed at the same time. I am thinking this is a motherboard failure. I have found some pics (on this site) of where the serial port is and will attempt to connect to that to see if I can glean anything from the boot sequence. In the mean time, does anybody know if I can purchase a V2 5big and insert these 500 GB drives into it and recover my data? If that won't work, would purchasing a used V1 5big allow me to recover my data? Does anybody know how I might find a new motherboard so that I can recover the data? If none of that is possible, then what options would I have to recover the data? I am thinking I would need to get my hands on a 5 drive SATA controller, a linux box, and some tinkering?

Any advice would be most appreciated. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:32 pm 

gsmmobiledev wrote:
does anybody know if I can purchase a V2 5big and insert these 500 GB drives into it and recover my data?
No, that won't work. The nas boots from it's harddisks, and a V2 cannot boot from V1 disks.
Quote:
If that won't work, would purchasing a used V1 5big allow me to recover my data? Does anybody know how I might find a new motherboard so that I can recover the data? If none of that is possible, then what options would I have to recover the data? I am thinking I would need to get my hands on a 5 drive SATA controller, a linux box, and some tinkering?
I'm not sure about the 2nd V1 option. The box has some nasty eeprom, which contains the UUIDs of the raid arrays, and it won't accept a raid array with a wrong UUID. I guess there should be an easy way around that, but I don't know it.

To recover your data you need to connect your disks to a Linux box. That can be anything, but a PC is the most convenient. You don't need 5 sata connections. When you have RAID5, you only need to connect 4 disks. And the disks can be connected using an USB to SATA convertor (unless they are bigger than 2TB). You can mix USB and (e)SATA if you want.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:02 am 

On plugout.net there are several topics on raid recovery on a 5big1. You could use the fvdw-sl console vs 5.5 and the standalone kernel for 5big1 plus the files provided with the console to enable raid support in the standalone kernel. It is not an easy route but might be option you could consider. Of course if it is an hardware issuebthen this option is a no go.
Red led flashing normally means that the bootloader or lacie firmware cannot find the disks. The fvdw-sl console also has an u-boot console that could be used to check if u-boot can find the disks. So several tools to investigate what could be wrong.
The fvdw-sl console runs under windows