General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:00 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:51 pm 

I have a LaCie 5bigv1 and I installed the fvdw-sl-console-6-16-1-9feb2016-32bits firmware. After the 'reboot -f' command the unit restarts, but the blue drive LED continues to flash (guessing it's not able to boot the firmware on the disk). The fvdw-assistant does not find the NAS after doing scans.

I can post in detail any requested logs or info. The firmware installation log says that it was successful with no errors that I see, and the fvdw installation process goes very well. In the fvdw-console if I run the 'U-Boot' console instead, I get the Marvell prompt, printenv outputs a lot of info. If I run 'ide reset' it can't find any drives:

Code:
Marvell>> ide reset
ide reset

Reset IDE:
Marvell Serial ATA Adapter
Found adapter at bus 1, device 7 ... Scanning channels

Marvell>>

I don't know if this is because I'm using netconsole (instead of the serial connection) of if there were some other problems with the installation. I can post logs.

I initally wanted to use brand new 3TB seagate drives (MBR making the >2TB choice in the firmware setup), but I've also tried the original 1.5TB drives, at first only a single drive in the rightmost slot (from the back), but since other drives in other slots. All end up the same, after reboot -f, continually flashing blue disk LED, and U-Boot 'ide reset' always listing no drives or partitions.

Trying to avoid taking it apart to connect to the serial console port.

Please help.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:51 pm 

Have you asked on the plugout.net forum?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:04 pm 

Thanks I've tried to register on that forum, but they don't like any of the email addresses I used to register.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:07 pm 

You could try to contact one of the admins. ;) Yes we are cautious with general email addresses like gmail and hotmail to keep spammers out.

In which slot did you put the disk with the firmware? It should be in most lefthand side slot seen from the back
---- edit
Ps what partition table did you use during installation?
A 5big1 bootloader only supports msdos and not gpt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:10 pm 

Thank you yes I tried to register but the admin I contacted refused the gmail and comcast addresses I gave, so I tried to use disposable email addresses and he labeled me a spammer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:19 pm 

coelacanth wrote:
Thank you yes I tried to register but the admin I contacted refused the gmail and comcast addresses I gave, so I tried to use disposable email addresses and he labeled me a spammer.

yes that happens if you use a disposable e-mail. The problem is that our provider will block e-mail sending in case disposable e-mails are used too much. Therefor we don't allow it. Please send another e-mail to admin of plugout to see if we can make an exception for your gmail address

ps are you "Bob G...." ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:25 pm 

Thank you yes I am I will try to register the 66n***@gmail.address

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:29 pm 

The response is still

The e-mail address you entered is not allowed to be used.

when I try to register coelacanth1 with the 66***@gmail.com address Please check if it's my IP address

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:51 pm 

Thank you so much!! It boots now with a single disk in the leftmost slot (looking at it from the disk side) instead for the 1.5TB disk. I deleted all the partitions (it *does* try to boot the firmware in this slot like you said) then I went through the whole firmware installation process in the left slot (again went very well) and the reboot was successful (small note I had to tftp busybox1 to /bin and setup a symlink to 'tr' because the 1st time the install script was saying 'tr: applet no found" in the logs.

If I have more questions should I ask them on the plugout.net forum?

Thanks again

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:17 am 

Hi,

:mrgreen:
I already sent you a message where I asked a gmail address. it seems you did not read it or I used one of your volatile addresses...

PS: we do not have trace of your attempts with 66n...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:57 pm 

If you check the timestamps on my 2 posts above your post I tried to register with 66n***@gmail between Sun Apr 09, 2017 22:25 and Sun Apr 09, 2017 22:29 UTC. Anyway I just replied to your message about which email address to whitelist.