General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:53 pm 

Hi, as my Lacie 5Big Network V1 had an internal powerdefect I've sent it to Lacie and they have exchanged the box with a new 5Big Network V2.
I've putted all my drives into the new box and tried to connect it to the network without any success. After long discussions with Lacie they told me,
that it is not possible to get my disks to rework in the new Version (V2) and to make my new 5Big visible I will have no other chance to loose all my
stored data on the actual drives.

Does anyone know if there is really no other possibility to get my disks from the 5Big V1 up and running on the 5Big V2? Unfortunately I have used
my 5Big V1 in Raid 5 mode, so I don't have a chance to read else where.

Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:19 pm 

Well, it's not completely true, but close. On a Lacie the OS is on the disk. The 5Big2 cannot boot the OS of the 5Big (that's why you couldn't connect), so at least the OS has to be exchanged.
Unfortunately the default way an OS is installed causes the datapartitions to be reformatted. Yet it should be possible to install the OS manually, and preserve the data. But you need some Linux knowledge, no fear for the command line, and a serial connection to your box. Some more info here.

Did you get the 5Big2 without disks? How are you supposed to install your old disks?

Patsnooky wrote:
Unfortunately I have used my 5Big V1 in Raid 5 mode, so I don't have a chance to read else where.
Fortunately Lacie uses default Linux software raid. So you can assemble your array when you can connect 4 disks to a Linux system. (Any PC booted from a Linux Live CD or -USB stick will do). The connection can be done using the internal SATA ports, ESATA ports, or using USB to SATA converters. You can also use a combination of these connections.
(You could also connect the disks to 2-4 different computers, and share the partitions over a network as Network Block Devices. Oh yeah, Linux is a great OS)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:28 pm 

Well, I have sent my 5Big without the Disks to Lacie as I know they do just format the disks without regards to the data on it.
I was awaiting to receive back my repaired 5Big or at least the same Version of the 5Big.

My knowledge on Linux is unfortunately really bad, but I assume I can find someone who can help me with that. It is already
great to know, that there could be a way to save my data. So I will try to find someone who can help me on this.
Thanks a lot for this great hint!