General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: LaCie 5big Network
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:01 pm 

jamesmaul wrote:
I'm setting the largest (data) partition to Ending Head: 45, Ending Sector 44 which should match the above drive data (all my drives are identical), I'm also choosing not to fix any errors when using DiskGenius.
Code:
Ending Cylinder:     243201
Ending Head:         45
Ending Sector:       44
Number of Sectors:   3907024896

CORRECT! So in DiskGenius there are only 2 places you should change which would be the Ending Head & Ending Sector. You might have to select 83 as System identifier (see image below).

Unfortunately if this doesn't work then I am not sure the issue since this is how I got mine to work almost a year ago and we have had zero problems since then.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:20 pm 

Hm. Okay. Trying one last time incase I missed something last time. Is there a difference between 83 and 83 (Linux Native)? I seem to remember it showing 83, but not actually displaying Linux Native.

I've been advised by LaCie support that the PSU may be faulty, however I did have this device working fine under the same PSU so unless it's since given up I fail to see how this can be the cause. I also didn't tell LaCie I swapped the drive for my own selection. Perhaps it's worth looking into that if this leads me nowhere...

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:01 pm 

jamesmaul wrote:
Is there a difference between 83 and 83 (Linux Native)?

No there is no difference. As long as it is 83

I wish I could be more help but I only worked with this because ours crashed and I tried to fix it by wiping the drive partitions. Silly me thought the OS & Boot info were on chip memory.
LaCie told me there was NO WAY to fix what I had done and that I would have to ship it to them to reformat the drives.
That is when I found this post and (after many hard days) I figured out how to get it working again.

GOOD LUCK!

PS I had to do this whole thing at least 4+ times. That is why I put up so many screen captures. Try looking at the original "windows" directions again and my images of the drive layout to see if there are any differences. There shouldn't be outside of the Ending info in previous post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:21 pm 

Hm. Okay. Well many thanks for your help. I've just had a further look at the drives, and when creating a NTFS partition from within Disk Genius, the ending head and sector are 254 and 63, matching the values you have which is handy.

I'm going to try these values, pray to whichever god is feeling merciful, and if all else fails throw the bloody thing out of the window.

Thanks for taking the time to give me a hand, very much appreciated :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:55 am 

Just an FYI. Don't hold your breath if you have a older Lacie box with In the box support for Mac Sharing via SMB. Lacie has deprecated this. From now on, you must backup your data, and clean install Linux OR spend 1200-2000+ to buy E Z IP. Lacie will no longer support it.

The best I was able to get them to do was send me an FTP image of the ORIGINAL box. We had a failure of a HDD slot (apparently not uncommon in this series, due to hat I have read to be soldering technique). Our regular HDDs would spin up just fine, but we would get a red error LED on the server. We triply confirmed it was the hard drive (first by getting a new HDD sent to us, then by getting a a second box sent to us on a 21 day, ship back the old one or pay for the new one.

Linux Mint 14 on a LiveCD did not pickup the partitions. None of them ran by default. I backed down at that point, because this job was not for me. They spent $1500 on a copy of E Z IP.

Why and when would you need this? You are hosting from a Windows Server 2008 or newer system and have multiple Mac Clients. Microsoft deprecated compatibility with AFB and other Mac additions and as of 6 months ago, Lacie dropped its legacy support. I could share... sometimes... with my Windows 8 box. They no longer have the support for Apple products, and have pegged themselves to Microsoft, according to what I have read. E Z IP seems to have done the same thing. Also, it was originally included on old boxes, but now is not [natively].

So, again, caveat emptor. If you are using multiple Mac clients, it may simply be a lot easier (and way cheaper, especially if SHTF) to run a Linux box since SMB is supported there with Mac sharing.

Final thoughts: at one point we could edit files, and save them. Later on, we could grab files and not save them. On a reboot, sometime between when I last saw it, the configuration somehow changed (this is a new box), and they no longer had the ability to access the drives, even though I previously had them in a working state.

EDIT: I meant to say, we triply checked that it was NOT the hard drive

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:39 pm 

Hello,
I too have one of those 10big (5x2TB) network NASes.
Yesterday as I tried a firmware update from 2.2.3 to 2.2.6 to 2.2.8, I ended up having the last installed firmware, but lost my raid. At the end, in the page of the system, it was saying that the raid was BROKEN.
So I have spend almost all day today, trying to decide my next steps, I am terrified with the idea that I have lost everything in one moment.

Can someone tell me what to do?
should I copy the 60MB zip image to what partition?
and
would that in the end, after modifying the starts and ends, will be sufficient to get the raid back?
thank you for your time.
I should say that I run XP and have no familiarity whatsoever with Linux environment.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:36 am 

Thank you for everyone's help and support.

I have a 2.5 TB (5 x 500 GB) model. I'm hoping that someone has a ready made disk image that I can dd without needing to adjust sector sizes.

Also, one of the drives has gone bad and so I powered down the unit <slaps forehead> thinking that I wouldn't risk losing a second drive while my replacement for the first shipped so I wouldn't lose my RAID 5. I powered the unit back on and it's just got a blinking red light. Near as I can tell, it means it can't find the OS. I'm curious if I had access to a .img designed for a 500 GB drive, and I used dd to write that image to a drive, can I boot this unit back up on only 4 drives?

Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:56 pm 

daddyslick wrote:
if I had access to a .img designed for a 500 GB drive, and I used dd to write that image to a drive, can I boot this unit back up on only 4 drives?

I don't think it would help. On a 5Big all disks are identical, excluding the data partitions, of course. So if you have 4 working disks, the box should just boot. Are you sure the red led doesn't just mean the raid array is degraded?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:14 am 

It might mean that the RAID has degraded, but I think that if it only meant that, that i'd be able to access the dashboard and rebuild the RAID.

I've tried to bring it to factory reset by following the instructions elsewhere on this cite which is to hold the front LED in as it boots, let it go, press it again once the LED stops flashing, and I've been unable to access the dashboard.

I was under the impression that I'd need to reload the LaCie 5Big Network OS onto the drives so that the unit can boot up and then recreate my RAID.

I apprecate all of your suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:52 pm 

Did you already remove the faulty disk? Here you can read the story of someone whose 5big2 didn't boot due to a faulty disk which sucked too much power, possibly.
Have you tried if that disk was indeed faulty?

BTW, is your primary goal to get the data from the disks, or to get the NAS running again? When you need your data, you can use any Linux system on which you can connect 4 disks, by sata, e-sata, usb-to-sata or a combination.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:14 am 

The faulty drive has already been removed and identified. I've also already lost the data on the disks by trying to recover it using UFS Explorer and R-Studio. The fault is my own unfamiliarity with these programs and Linux. But I've already moved past the data issue and am no longer concerned about it. At this point I'm just trying to get the device up and running again so I can use it for future files.

The remaining 4 disks have all been formatted time and again including most recently I decided to try the drive dump posted previously despite knowing that it was designed for 2TB drive. I dd'd that .img onto my 4 drives but of course the device will not boot up. I'm hoping that someone has a drive dump to share of a 500 GB drive that I can simply dd and get the unit booted again.

I've asked LaCie for help on this, including asking to purchase a new drive from them, even at a premium cost in case they shipped the disks with the OS preloaded, but I was told that the drives ship bare and rely on the existing OS of the device to rebuild the RAID and OS onto the drive they ship. This doesn't answer how the OS is loaded on there is the first place.

Thank you for your help on this.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:42 am 

In theory you could build one disk from the provided partition dumps, write LaCieFirstBootLaCie to byte 1536 of the disk, low-level clone that disk to 4 others, and boot your machine from it. The initrd will recognize the LaCieFirstBootLaCie disk mark, and prepare the disks for usage in a 5Big.

That is the theory. In practice it is (much?) harder, it just doesn't work that way. Maybe because there is something wrong with the partition dumps, maybe I read the scripts wrong, and some other extra action is needed. It worked on my 2Big2, but I have never had my hands on a V1 (2Big or 5Big) to see how it works there.

If you only want a working NAS, I advice you to install an alternate OS on it. It seems the 5Big is (almost) supported by fwdw_sl. (www.plugout.net).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:30 pm 

I'll look into fwdw_sl for my NAS. In the meantime, there is a post on page 4 of this thread from Bapsilon who seems to have modified the partition table with Drive Genius (Partition Guru) on his Hitachi 500 GB drives for his 5Big Network V1 (which I assume are the same drives that shipped with my NAS) so I've attempted to follow in his footsteps and try it myself.

When I launch Drive Genius and attempt to Modify the Partition Table, as soon as I enter any value in the field, it resorts back to the default value just prior to saving the change I'm attempting to make. Can anyone confirm this? Is this because I haven't registered the software? I'm running this in a virtualized Windows XP environment although I don't suspect that is the cause for this particular issue.

As always, I appreciate the help. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to contribute back to this forum instead of only asking others for advice.

Brad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:56 am 

daddyslick wrote:
When I launch Drive Genius and attempt to Modify the Partition Table, as soon as I enter any value in the field, it resorts back to the default value just prior to saving the change I'm attempting to make. Can anyone confirm this? Is this because I haven't registered the software? I'm running this in a virtualized Windows XP environment although I don't suspect that is the cause for this particular issue.
Brad

It do the same for me. I noticed that if you decrease one unit from ending cylinders, it allow you to modify the ending sector until 254.
But I don't know the consequence for the harddrive's health, id it is just a logical limitation or it can purely destroy the drive

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:01 am 

Hello
I have a empty 5big Network without any original drive.
Yet now, I own 2x1.5To hard drive with the "image" provide by lacielm.
Should I buy 3 more identical drive to complete or not ?

The answer is yes:
And you have to get the image (I used the one provide by lacielm) on all of your drive: All my previous test were unsuccessul
2 and 3 similars drives (wich is supposed to be the minimum of Raid5)
5 differents hards drives (Raid5 is supposed to set the size on the smallest drive)

Finally after reading again and again your post I noticed that Jimbolian and peg1987 had 5 hdd.
Special thanks to lacielm for posting the raw image and the link to dd.exe wich make think easier for windows's user
I'm hoping this will help somebody.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next