LaCie 5big Network

lostintranslation

Re: LaCie 5big Network

Post by lostintranslation » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:52 am

Using DiskGenius V3.2.1211 on Hiren's Boot CD 15.1 (http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd)

I saw that I made the partition type FAT16 by using Windows. I redumped the image to a drive then backed up and restored the partition tables. (see images below)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lostintranslation

Post by lostintranslation » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:15 pm

So restoring EACH of the 5 drives with "dd" and then changing the following partition settings (for 1 GB drives) WORKED!!!

Ending Cylinder: 121600
Ending Head: 254
Ending Sector: 63

Thank You So So So Much all for your information and help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lostintranslation on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:39 am, edited 5 times in total.

Bapsilon

Post by Bapsilon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:44 am

I can now confirm that this works for the 500GB Hitachi(IBM) HDD's that are in my 5Big too with the settings...

Ending Cylinder: 60800
Ending Head: 254
Ending Sector: 63

Thanks Guys :D

Post by 303 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:53 am

Can anyone offer a method for resizing the partition on OS X for a 1 GB disk successfully?

I was able to use dd to copy the image (mounted it in a mac pro SATA drivebay), but cannot figure out how to adjust the second partition as required.

further detail:

1. I copied the 2008221.img to the drive via dd successfully
2. put the drive back in the RAID (5big v1, 4TB)
3. the raid registers as broken and all 5 drives say new
4. i remove the drive, put the old one back in, it "synchronizes" for another 25 hours, then reports that drive is broken.

if i repeat (going back to step 2) i have to do this all over again

Ignotus

Post by Ignotus » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:27 pm

Hi all,

I tried following the instructions, but whern i use \\?\Device\Harddisk3\Partition0 it tells me:
Error native opening file: 0 ( and translated-->) the command is complete

no partitions are made.

what i did was; booted, opened disk management, created GPT table based disk (3TB), made volume, no drive letter/no format and later with; choosen drive letter and format. Both same effect, no partitions made after the dd command

When i do \\?\Device\HarddiskVolume9 it does start, this is the main data block (3TB), but no partitions are created. When i put all disks in the lacie 5big v1 i get the blue blinking and then "red blinking on front and solid red on the back". the resetting procedure doesn't work eighter.

using windows 7 x64

Any help is greatly apriciated.

EDIT: best would be (hopefully) a disk sector by sector copy with a free tool http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/home-edition/
Then i could restore that to all 3 (not using 5, but with 5 1TB disks it does not work eighter) disks.

With kind regards,

Ignotus.

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:53 am

I'm not sure what your problem is, but I don't think GPT disks will work anyway. The bootloader (in flash) has to load the kernel from partition 6, but I don't think the bootloader 'understands' GPT, so it won't be able to find partition 6.
It might be possible to use an 'hybrid' partition table (as I described here), but I'm afraid it will only shift the problem. I don't think the kernel supports GPT either.

Ignotus

Post by Ignotus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:28 pm

Mijzelf wrote:I'm not sure what your problem is, but I don't think GPT disks will work anyway. The bootloader (in flash) has to load the kernel from partition 6, but I don't think the bootloader 'understands' GPT, so it won't be able to find partition 6.
It might be possible to use an 'hybrid' partition table (as I described here), but I'm afraid it will only shift the problem. I don't think the kernel supports GPT either.
That was what i was thinking too, so i tried again with MBR, it split up the disk in 2 parts in disk management, but still no partitions are made with the dd process. So i tried a 1TB disk which i had laying around, but that one has the same issues as described before, no partitions made with dd.

I think i am going to make a virtual Linux box and try the Linux aprouch.

But still best scenario would be a copy made with Easeus, because then i can restore a "disk copy" and resize in the same procedure without too much hassle.

jamesmaul

Post by jamesmaul » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:03 pm

Hopefully someone can help; I have built five Western Digital 2TB disks with the 2008221.img file, started up my LaCie, and all lights come up blue (they had previously displayed red)

Only problem is I never see a web management page. I end up with one drive constantly flickering indicating that it might be doing something, but nothing ever comes up. My LaCie is connected to a DHCP server which used to issue the LaCie an IP, but it never seems to take its IP. I get a green light on the ethernet cable with an orange flashing light indicating that something is happening.

Is there any way to see what my LaCie is doing? Could it be that whoever built the 2008221.img has the LaCie set on a static IP, hence why it's not picking up a DHCP address?

Any help would be much appreciated.

lostintranslation

Post by lostintranslation » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:28 am

Ignotus wrote:I think i am going to make a virtual Linux box and try the Linux aprouch.
But still best scenario would be a copy made with Easeus, because then i can restore a "disk copy" and resize in the same procedure without too much hassle.
You can BOOT to "Mini Windows XP" using the FREE Hiren BCD. Then follow the "Windows" version of the directions. I worked on this for many hours trying all sorts of ways including Linux; but it turns out to be super simple and super easy once you follow the steps already provided.

dd lets you restore the disk completely and from there it is only a matter a fixing the hard disk partition table which I show in screen captures above.

I hope this helps.

lostintranslation

Post by lostintranslation » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:32 am

jamesmaul wrote:my LaCie, and all lights come up blue
I had a similar problem when I had the WRONG information about the Partition size. Once I used HBCD to fix the largest of the partitions everything worked PERFECTLY. For me this was the last step (which I documented with screen captures above).

BTW the Lacie is setup for DHCP. Once it can read the drives properly it will boot and connect. Couldn't be easier.

lostintranslation

Post by lostintranslation » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:42 am

This tool helped me with cloning the drives so that I didn't have to open my PC.

jamesmaul

Post by jamesmaul » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:05 pm

lostintranslation wrote:
jamesmaul wrote:my LaCie, and all lights come up blue
I had a similar problem when I had the WRONG information about the Partition size. Once I used HBCD to fix the largest of the partitions everything worked PERFECTLY. For me this was the last step (which I documented with screen captures above).

BTW the Lacie is setup for DHCP. Once it can read the drives properly it will boot and connect. Couldn't be easier.

Hi lostintranslation.

Thanks for the reply. To confirm - I'll be writing 2008221.img to each of the five 2TB disks, then changing the ending cylinder to 243200 (double 121600 which you used for your 1TB disk), ending head to 254 and ending sector to 63?

If you could let me know if the above values are correct, i'll get these written to the five disks and pray that it works!

Thanks very much for your help

EDIT: I've just done the above, and so far no DHCP address has been taken. Going to leave it to think about what it's doing over the weekend. Did the box give you a web management page or did it wait to rebuild its disks before displaying anything?

lostintranslation

Post by lostintranslation » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:12 pm

jamesmaul wrote:then changing the ending cylinder to 243200 (double 121600 which you used for your 1TB disk), ending head to 254 and ending sector to 63?
You are missing one very large point. EACH hard drive has it's own configuration for Cylinder, Heads & Sectors.

My numbers worked for my drive because it was the max for MY drive. I think I found these numbers simply by formatting 1 drive NTFS and then using "DiskGenius" to show me the ENDING values (as in the picture below).

If all your drives are same Manufacturer and same Model then you only need these numbers for 1 of the drives to apply it to all the drives.

jamesmaul

Post by jamesmaul » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:33 pm

Brilliant. Thanks for the tip. I will give this a go on Monday and let you know if it sorts it!

Cheers,

jamesmaul

Post by jamesmaul » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:46 pm

I formatted the disk with one large NTFS partition spanning the entire disk, and these are the values I encountered.

Code: Select all

Beginning: 		0
Beginning Head: 	32
Beginning Sector:	33

Ending Cylinder:	243201
Ending Head:		45
Ending Sector:		44

Number of Sectors:	3907024896
Once the LaCie disk image was written, the EXT container shows the following information

Beginning:		0
Beginning Head:		1
Beginning Sector:	1
And the largest (data) partition shows:

Beginning:		125
Beginning Head:		0
Beginning Sector:	1
Are the beginning values a problem? Could it be that dd is trying to write to an area of the disk that does not exist? (My knowledge of disks may be a bit dodgy so my apologies!)

Anyway, I'm setting the largest (data) partition to Ending Head: 45, Ending Sector 44 which should match the above drive data (all my drives are identical), I'm also choosing not to fix any errors when using DiskGenius. Hopefully this is what you have done? Or did you not receive any errors? I'm getting lots of "Warn: Beginning/Ending CHS Parameter Uncoordinated"

Unfortunately doing this to all five drives resulted in the same issues. Blue lights, but one ends up constantly flickering. No IP picked up via DHCP. Any ideas you may have would be most appreciated.