General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: LaCie 5big Network
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:54 am 

I know this is the wrong place for this but there's no 5Big section and this one seems to be the only one with consistent activity on it.

Has anybody worked with the 5Big?
I used the EDmini guides and was able to figure out the differences to get telnet working so, Thank you to all that contributed.
I'd really like to get console access and could use a little help with figuring out what to connect to where to achieve it.

Post subject: Re: LaCie 5big Network
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:05 am 

snuffy wrote:
Has anybody worked with the 5Big?

Sorry, this reply is probably too late but Albert (aaribaud) is working on it :)
See http://tweaky.aribaud.net/?q=node/49

Cheers,
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:17 pm 

well, seems like he got a 5big for free and did little with it. Shame

and yes... where is the 5Big forum?

fundamentally the 5big seemed like a great system. We previously had a Lacie NAS and it was great - really good AD integration and TBH it was pretty trouble-free, but we needed more space so we thought we'd go for a 5big 7.5TB.

They really should name it 5 big reasons not to buy it.

1. The support is terrible - my S/N didn't even exist in their system, so to this day i have not been able to properly register to get any support.
2. The software is bad - they should have stuck with the old software - it worked. This one would at random just lose the AD config so my backup software could no longer authenticate. Really annoying.
3. If you want to replace a drive you HAVE TO buy one of theirs at twice the cost, cos they have done some hardwiring on them to force you to buy theirs. Any other drive just won't work.
4. If you need repairs, Lacie's returns policy is just a pain in the backside. You have to go back to an official distributor who will then send it on to Lacie. If you bought it somewhere else (like I did) trying to locate the original distributor is like looking for a needle in a haystack (especially since my S/N isn't in the system).
5. Whilst it looks cool the 5Big harbors a major design flaw. The power swicth on the back of the device is a rocker type and is extremely soft to the touch, just brush it lightly and it will flip. Really very bad indeed, i mean how hard would it have been to just have it inset slightly?

I'm really hoping that someone will hack the GPL software around to make something that works right.
I'd also like to know can I take the drive out of the 5Big and use them in another PC? I'm done with Lacie junk, and have found its more reliable and cheaper to use a cheap PC with 4 sata ports to build your own NAS using freenas, so I'd like to at least use the drives. The 5big has just proved too unreliable to be used in anything other than a home network (and i wouldn't even recommend that)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:59 pm 

5big network forum added - relocated this topic there!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:06 pm 

Have also added these devices to the NAS Central Lacie wiki - any info you can add there will be useful - you can log straight in there with your login for this forum!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:30 am 

philmills wrote:
IMHO your insinuation is unjustified.
Albert has been very busy getting Marvell Orion support into mainline U-Boot.
(Orion is the SoC family used on many NAS including most of the LaCie ones in this forum.)
This is great for the community.
I am sure Albert will continue with the 5Big when he gets some free time.
philmills wrote:
3. If you want to replace a drive you HAVE TO buy one of theirs at twice the cost, cos they have done some hardwiring on them to force you to buy theirs. Any other drive just won't work.
This surprises me greatly. Are you sure?
I don't have a 5Big but some of the dialogue between Albert and Simon Guinot of LaCie was cc'd to me.
I understood that any old disks would do.
Obviously some of the firmware is on the disks so you have to partition them and copy the firmware.
But AIUI there is no "hardwiring".

Incidentally you may be able to get help:
a) on the LaCie NAS mailing list: http://sequanux.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lacie-nas
b) or on the LaCie NAS site: http://www.lacie-nas.org

Simon is very helpful and has done a lot of work getting support for new LaCie products into the mainline Linux kernel.
Please don't slag off LaCie too much.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:53 pm 

Hi,

Thought I throw in my 2cts.

I have just been succesfull in upgrading my 5Big to a 10big, i.e. upgrading from a 5TB version to a 10TB version. The way to do it is to take all discs but one out, put in 4 2TB drives and boot the system. First thing it will do is copy the boot image to the other drives. When the system status of the Raid disk shows 'New', power down the system, swap the last drive, reboot and build your 10TB Raid array!

It works. BTW, using the 2.2.6 firmware

No need to buy Lacie drives: I used 5 WD20EARS drives. Works perfectly.

Lucien

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:47 pm 

For those interested: I managed to brick my 5Big

It was a 5 TB version, which I successfully upgraded to a 10TB version by replacing 1 by 1 the drives (see previous post). The onboard OS will rebuild the disk and also copy the firmware on the drive, which as you know, also carries the image for operating the system.

This worked fine, until I decided to change my mind and use the 5 2TB drives in another system. So with the succesfull aproach of the upgrade I started to downgrade back to the original drives. Unfortunately they had already be put in a Windows system so the original content was gone. But again, putting them 1 by 1 into the Lacie did the trick, and I ended up with a running 5TB system....
until I hit the reset button. Since then the system is a brick: after some 30 sconds of blue flashing all drives LED turn red and the front button blinks red fast.

Now I have been able using clunc to connect to the console of U-boot in the 5Big and when I then issue the boot command, it does find the drives, it finds the right partitions (I also checked on a Linux machine: all drives actually have the right structure, which is very comparable to the EDminiV2), but when booting it finds a bad magic number and the boot halts.

Now I've tried many ways to understand more of the problem, but I am at a loss. I can send it back to Lacie for an out of waranty repair, but I think my only other way out is to get somebody to image one drive and post the results on the download area. I think that would help me to restore life to the machine without paying 200 euro..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:33 am 

I have 5 Big Network 2 setup for RAID 5 and I also had some problems with the drives (powered down while converting to RAID 0 coz it took too long :)

As soon as I will grab an image from my raid5 drive I will post them here so you can restore. There also should be a howto restore the 5 big to its original state.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:23 pm 

Excellent! Pls keep me posted on your progress

Lucien

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:38 pm 

So below is the link for the dumped partition table and partitions from a raid5 drive:
http://hotfile.com/dl/93991643/fc1f5a6/lacie_partition_image_raid_5.rar.html

You need to clone the partition table for each drive using sfdisk and then the best way would be to use dd to raw copy the data across the partitions/drives.

After that I think you would need to assemble the raid5 array on linux using mdadm as raid5 and format the newly created array as xfs filesystem. Then stop the mdadm, shutdown and put the drives into lacie, thumbs up.

If you knew all that then it will be a good guide for the others :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:50 pm 

Hi

It worked, but it did not work.....

I have succesfully copied the partitions 6 and 10, which contain the bootimage, onto the drive (which I know to have the right partitioning, so I did not change that). I booted into clunc and low and behold, the system booted. But after the message 'Booting the Kernel' nothing happenes..... waited for an hour or so.

I then looked at partition 5 (the swap partition) and saw your swap partition is 256MB, whereas mine is 128MB.

This leads me to believe you have a v2 5big. Correct? This is based on a Marvell Kirkwood chipset, whereas the v1 (that I have) is based on a Marvel Orion chipset. I don't know the differences but I am pretty sure a kernel will not boot.

I packed the device a few minutes ago, I will send it to Lacie for repairs tomorrow. I cannot spend too much more time on this.

Thanks a lot for your quick response and efforts!

Lucien

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:04 am 

rosbif wrote:
philmills wrote:
IMHO your insinuation is unjustified.

sorry, i think i must have posted after a long frustrating day trying to get my 5big to behave.

regarding the drives, i guess I stand corrected.
I just had read early on some place that I had to use official Lacie drives, for reasons of some hardwiring. I'm glad that I have other options now. Though i'm a bit upset about paying double for a Lacie part when I didn't need to.

I'm considering upgrading our 7.5TB to 10TB, but right now I'm looking for some advice (which seems hard to come by on this topic) that nowadays when large storage devices such as the Lacie 5big exist, its great until you want to flatten it. How best to backup all that data? Painful.

I also found lately an inherant weakness in off the shelf NAS boxes of all brands, which I think warrants some thought and open discussion. Recently the powersupply failed on our 5big. Finding a replacement quickly wasn't at all easy. I ordered a new Lacie one, which took 2 or 3 weeks to arrive, since they are not in stock anywhere in my country. In the meantime I did some searching for a universal laptop powersupply with the correct power rating. Eventually I found one, but it took a few days, since the Amp rating needed to be unusually high. While i searched, critical files were unavailable. The connector on the temporary repacement PSU didn't quite fit correctly, so it was a bit loose, but with a little tape it stayed connected.

Anyway, that got me thinking. With NAS we focus so much on the disk redundancy that such devices give us, but what of the rest of the device? At least if its a standard PC with sata mobo and a bunch of large drives, you can pretty much replace any part on same day from your local pc store. But with a NAS box, any part could fail (except the disks), and you'd find yourself the proud owner of a brick which maybe next to impossible to get repaired.
So in summary, i stand by my earlier comments regarding building your own NAS, though I'm not having much fun with freenas these days. weird errors in console which seem to stop me from logging into the webadmin. But, there's other OSs out there which may offer something a little more solid.

Post subject: I have a 5big brick
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:44 pm 

We've been using the LaCie 5 Big for backups a while, and today I was cleaning up some un-needed files.
Some of these files were huge (and i mean really huge) tar files from backup of one of our Linux servers.
All in all about 8 files of over 250GB each!
I proceeded to delete them, and about 10 mins into deletion I lost connection with the LaCie.
Couldn't access it via share or browser.
I went to take a look at the Lacie and all lights were solid blue (front and back) which is a status I couldn't find in the manual.
So, no option other than to restart the Lacie.
Here's where it gets weird.
I turned off the unit via the switch at the back, and it stayed on.
No option but to pull the plug.
Pulled the plug, restarted it, and now I'm back into the web console, RAID shows RAID 5 5.45 TB Clean.
Capacity shows all zeros!!!

So I'm pretty convinced that deleting massive files killed the Lacie.
Gonna reboot again, and see if it helps, but I doubt it will.

Post subject: Re: I have a 5big brick
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:25 pm 

philmills wrote:
So I'm pretty convinced that deleting massive files killed the Lacie.
Gonna reboot again, and see if it helps, but I doubt it will.

How did it go? Did you manage to get it working again?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next