General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:25 pm 

Hello,
I'm a new member, joined hoping for some assistance with a Lacie 5big network device. The front LED is blinking RED, and all the HDD leds are red as well. I believe the hard drives were taken out and wiped or something.

All i'm looking to do is do a fresh factory reset on the box and build a new raid 5 across the drives. I've tried the reset to factory default method here: (http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Facto ... ig_Network)) For giggles i even tried the 5big network 2 method here: (http://manuals.lacie.com/en/manuals/d2- ... ork2/reset) and neither have worked.

On the 5big network method in the wiki, at the end of the process when it says: "When the light stops blinking, RELEASE the button. The drive is now resetting itself." is where i'm having trouble. It doesn't stop blinking, instead it changes from blinking blue straight to blinking RED.

Any other methods I can try?

Thank you very much for the assistance

Luke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:33 am 

When the disks are actually wiped, it cannot possibly startup (or be factory reset) AFAIK. The firmware was on the disks. You'll have to put it back. Read the thread.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:22 pm 

Thanks Mijzelf. I was just reading through that thread. For future reference, would it work to do the following:
Using web interface erase all data.
Create a new raid and format the drives.
Take all drives out but one, and do secure erase
pop those drives back in, let the raid build on them
then take the last drive out, secure erase and then replace?

Would that preserve the firmware etc?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:41 pm 

Well some progress. I followed the steps posted by lacielm on the 5big thread using dd for windows. I now have solid Blue led's on each of the hard drives, and a slow blinking blue front LED. But lacie network assistant does not see the drive, and I tried accessing it via: http://lacie-5big.local and also pinging what I thought the default IP's were: 192.168.168.168 and 192.168.0.101 but got nothing.

Thoughts?

EDIT: also forgot to mention, I tried to connect on a LAN with just a switch in between, and also tried by cabling directly to the PC(manually adjusted the PC's IP address as necessary). I am getting link and activity lights on the NIC and switch for the LaCie.
The odd thing is the device doesn't respond to the power switch on the back. I can flick it to off and the box stays on. I have to pull the plug to get it to power off.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:11 am 

Oops! I missed your previous post. Did you still have webaccess? In that case the disks were not wiped.

To get the current IP address it might help to run wireshark on your PC when connected directly. In most cases a device will tell it's ip somehow, when booting.

When the powerswitch doesn't work that is a bad sign. It means the firmware doesn't run (normally). (The powerswitch is handled in software by the firmware).

You could have a look on clunc, to see what is happening.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:38 pm 

Hi Mijzelf,
I did not have web access after the drives were wiped. They were wiped individually on another workstation. I'll see if wireshark shows anything, but yeah i'm guessing that since the power switch on the back doesn't work something isn't quite right. I'll have to do some reading on clunc

Thanks!

EDIT: does it matter that originally there were 5 drives, and currently there were only 4 drives in? They are 2TB drives.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:01 am 

lkailburn wrote:
does it matter that originally there were 5 drives, and currently there were only 4 drives in? They are 2TB drives.
I don't know. My actual experience stops at the 2Big2, which actually needs 2 disks out of 2 for initializing. But the 5Big?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:27 pm 

well I'll give it a go with all 5 drives in there and see if we are any better off. I tried following the procedure and booting with just 1 drive but it was the same behaviour i'm getting as with 4 drives wiped with the procedure we talked about.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:07 am 

It's probably the PSU. I had the blinking 5 lights and replaced the PSU, now all I have to deal with is a dead disk.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:33 pm 

303 wrote:
It's probably the PSU. I had the blinking 5 lights and replaced the PSU, now all I have to deal with is a dead disk.

I suppose it is possible. Though the system was tested and worked perfectly before the drives were wiped. I'll see if adding the 5th drive back in makes a difference

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:42 pm 

Fantastic news! Running the same DD process on the 5th and final drive worked! The NAS showed up in the lacie network assistant and I have web dashboard access again!

Thanks everyone!

-Luke