General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:21 am 

Quote:
Hi,

the procedure doesn't work for me neither :( I repeated all of the steps several times and even reset my Wireless Space to its factory defaults. The http-commands always return "# exit code : 0". But every time I try to log in as 'root' with the password 'lacie', I get the 'Permission denied' message. SSH is enabled and I'm on firmware 1.1.0. I'd appreciate it if anybody could help me out with this!

Thanks in advance
stucki

+1 :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:24 pm 

It is not working for me aswell.. have they made it impossible in new fw? i have 1.1.4. Would be really happy if someone could help with this! thnx.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:25 pm 

To change root pass create text file in MyShare

filename: mypass
contents: root:pass

then go to page:
http://<lacie ip address>/cmd.php?mode=exec&cmd=chpasswd%20%3C%20/lacie/share/MyShare/mypass

Enter Your login and password when prompted (same that You use to access to dashboard).

Now the root pasword is pass, if you restart lacie then you need to go to page again.

It works fine in 1.1.4

Last edited by grpw on Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:43 pm 

grpw wrote:

then go to page:
http://<lacie ip address>/cmd.php?mode=exec&cmd=chpasswd%20%3C%20/lacie/share/MyShare/mypass

Your root pasword is pass, if you restart lacie then you need to go to page again.

It works fine in 1.1.4

grpw

I followed your recipe, just one glitch.... if I am use 'pass' as my password, what would the username be? I am serious ticked off by this, I can't seem to get the drive to work properly, I just wanna reset, please help!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:46 pm 

Quote:
Your root pasword is pass, if you restart lacie then you need to go to page again.

To change root password You must know Your login and password, enter it when prompted.

username is root
password is pass

This change only root pass from unknown to pass
Login and password that You set are not changed, if You restart the root password is set to default (unknown)

You don't need this to reset, in dashboard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:10 pm 

Will try it, thanx grpw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:36 am 

Hi,
I'm thinking of upgrading to the latest firmware.
Mostly because as I understand it this means a newer version of Transmission.
The one in 1.0.7 doesn't support Magnet Links.
And I think the newer ones does.

Is there no way of fixing root access that sticks on reboot with the new firmware ?

Regards
/Patrik

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:41 pm 

It's easy possible in 1.1.4 ( i don't tested 1.1.5). If You have temporary root, and rw file system (in transmission howto is write how to do that) You change root password in the file /lacie/eth/shadow (copy encrypted password) from /etc/shadow (from your user so root password will be the same like Your user password)

example (change only red): root:$1$cwSNdSXy$4SMeMsanMOg3ksPAbFJrk0:10933:0:99999:7:::

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:22 am 

Thank you grpw.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:42 pm 

grpw wrote:

then go to page:

Enter Your login and password when prompted (same that You use to access to dashboard).

Now the root pasword is pass, if you restart lacie then you need to go to page again.

It works fine in 1.1.4

Hi grpw,

it seems like this method is not applicable anymore in 1.1.5. After some tests I've lost my root access to device (FW 1.1.5). I've tried all suggested methods right after that - no result. Next I tried to downgrade to 1.1.4 and check root:pass method - it worked. But your solution for password preservation was failed.
Maybe there's something else to get root access in 1.1.5 or save changed password in 1.1.4?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:19 pm 

My mistake for 1.1.4 to save password You change root entry in /lacie/default/shadow.klaxon.in

I use 1.1.4 (no worth to change for me if only unused languages are added) if You use 1.1.5 see in directory '/lacie/default/www/root' that You have 'cmd.php' or paste here what message You get when You try to change root password.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:10 pm 

Hi folks!

Just bought a Lacie Wireless Space 2 TB, and was VERY disappointed to find out that the mediaserver doesn't support subtitles or FF or REW. So i need root access to get to install other software or DLNA server. Unfortunately, the device comes with firmware 1.1.5, so this HOWTO doesn't work. How can I downgrade to 1.1.4?

I'm a total newbie with NAS in general (this is my first device), and have no experience with Linux, so any and all advice is greatly appreciated, but due to my inexperience, it needs to be really 'step-by-step'.

Otherwise, this device would be just what I want and need to handle all my media on my home network. I'm just so very disappointed at these very small shortcomings of the software. I'm sure it wouldn't be a very big thing for Lacie to implement these changes, but I'm definitely not going to be holding my breath...

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:typo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:24 pm 

Great news!
Yes it's possible to downgrade the firmware from 1.1.5, you have to use Support - Configuration - "Restore original software version (data preserved)", it restores the firmware to some old version like 1.0.7 and then you can upgrade it again to 1.1.4 using http://www.lacie.com/download/drivers/W ... 01.1.4.zip

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:35 pm 

I can confirm that this root password guide works perfectly on 1.0.2 firmware version, but the good thing is that works even on 1.1.5 version.At least, I didn't encountered any problem on my WS running 1.1.5.