Chroot and openvpn

Iomega iConnect Wireless Data Station
Neon87

Chroot and openvpn

Post by Neon87 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:37 pm

I've just finished to install deluged (and deluge-webui) and compile the tun.ko to run openvpn!

In chroot jail we are able to run everything we want.. (i have installed apache with svn and a proxy daemon)..
I swapon a file of 1 GB to be able to run a little more daemon..

I prefered to install all in chroot because of the warranty..

I have no time to write an howto or something like that but if someone is interested i'll try!

Bye!

Mijzelf

Re: Chroot and openvpn

Post by Mijzelf » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:43 am

Neon87 wrote:I prefered to install all in chroot because of the warranty..
You could boot into Debian or whatever from an USB stick/disk, using a 'reloaded' kernel module, without touching the firmware.

BTW, you are invited to write an article about chrooting (what?) in the wiki.

Neon87

Post by Neon87 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:14 pm

Mijzelf wrote:
Neon87 wrote:I prefered to install all in chroot because of the warranty..
You could boot into Debian or whatever from an USB stick/disk, using a 'reloaded' kernel module, without touching the firmware.

BTW, you are invited to write an article about chrooting (what?) in the wiki.
Ya i know reloaded but the kernel flashed on the iconnect is good enought to run what i need.. I chroot a debian sid distro (created with two stages on another computer)..

Now i'm trying to make a umts usb key work and use the wifi as a ap.. When and if it works i gonna write something for sure!

mmm4m5m

Post by mmm4m5m » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:49 am

Hi Neon87, I would like to know more details about apache installation and swap setup.
I am wondering if apache works nice - only 256 ram is available in iConnect device.
About swap - as far I know, linux like ram - it does not "like" swap. (I could be wrong). I am wondering if you did specific setting related to swap usage in linux.

I have 2 iConnect devices. Both modified and not open (modified without access to rs232).
In first device I installed pure debian squeeze (debootstrap) and modified u-boot environment variables - boot from USB (if available) then boot from NAND. I did build kernel - debian way: with all debian package, plus iConnect patches. Wireless modules are also ready but I did not try/test yet. I try to run 'iConnect' rootfs (executord) inside chroot... maybe it could work, but it will need additional tunning and setup.

In second device, I did install debian lenny and I run it in chroot. I added overlay (similar way like OpenWrt, using mini_fo.ko). So rootfs is readwrite and I start "executord" in overlay chroot. I did try and modify /oem/Branding.xml file - enabled things like rsync, nfs, ftp. It will require more work to add and setup all missing parts - config files, modules (for video surveillance it could require new kernel image)... Or I could skip iConnect webui and simply setup all things I need in debian.