General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:32 pm 

Greetings.
I own an Iomega iConnect on which I attach an Iomega Prestige Portable 1,5 TB USB Disk.
I have attached the iConnect to a Dovado Tiny 4G router, for integrated wireless access service.
At home I work with a MacBook Air (OS X.8.2) and a Sony Vaio (OS Win 8).
I have partitioned the USB Disk: one partition is formatted with HFS+ (Mac) and the other under FAT32.
These configurations worked fine storage wise (although I couldn't get Time Machine function to run). Until last week I could wirelessly access the attached USB Disk under Win 8 and Mac OS.
The FAT32 partition remains accessible if the USB Disk is plugged directly into the Vaio, and both FAT32 and HFS+ partitions also remain accessible to the Mac. All just as before.
But in the last couple of days, coinciding but I suspect not related (?) with Windows 8 upgrade on the Vaio, the iConnect only recognizes the HFS+ partition, which means that the FAT32 partition is now only accessible via direct plugging to both Vaio and Mac.
All above products run the latest software and firmware versions, including Iomega. No security has been added or enabled (at least knowingly).
I would appreciate any help.
Regards.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:30 pm 

You can try to find out what goes wrong.

Login using ssh, as described here.

In the shell type
Code:
dmesg -c
to clear the message buffer. No plugin the disk, wait a little, and type
Code:
dmesg
The message you see now are related to the disk. You should see information about the usb device itself, and information about the various filesystems which are tried to mount the partitions. Maybe you see an obvious error here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:48 pm 

Kind Mijzelf, I wish to thank your input. Unfortunately I suspect that the problem resides in the Iomega iConnect. I will try various solutions and come back.
Regards.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:30 am 

So I have repartitioned with NTFS and HFS+ and both volumes are again usable. In the process of trial and error I've found that ExFAT partitions over wireless aren't mounting with Iomega iConnect (?). I would take ExFAT over NTFS because of the increased cross-platform potential (as read and write being able for both Win and MacOS, while MacOS can only read NTFS).
I am working under Win7 32 bit and MacOS X.8.2. I have left my Win8 computer out of the picture due to alleged compatibility issues. When I get to reuse Iomega with Win8 64 bit, I'll report back on the experience.

My other trouble with the Iomega iConnect is, as said in the original post, Time Machine wireless backup to my Iomega Prestige Portable Disk through Iomega iConnect. I have tried the legacy AFP services (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4700) and this other fix: http://www.somelifeblog.com/2009/02/fix ... twork.html
Can't get either to work on the subfolder created in the Mac HFS+ (with journaling) partition of the Iomega external disk when it is attached to the iConnect device. I remind that the referred partition is one of two, the other being the NTFS.
I should open a new topic with this separate issue.
Meanwhile, any thoughts on this? My IT understanding is common user-like.
Pardon the bad english as it isn't native to me.