NSA310 HDD upgrade via a Mac... No, it doesn't 'Just Work'..

Marvell Kirkwood based
Pofadda

NSA310 HDD upgrade via a Mac... No, it doesn't 'Just Work'..

Post by Pofadda » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:25 pm

I hope to change my HDD to a 2TB one and understand that the OS and firmware need to be installed again.

I followed the link to Zyxel downloads and see only two files for use with a Mac but can find no explanation as to their difference. Even their dates are identical. They are 1.02_MAC_CHT and 1.02_MAC_ENG. 1.02_MAC_CHT crashes on opening and 'ENG looks unfinished Like this:

Are there any Mac users that know what is happening here, please?

Mijzelf

Re: NSA310 HDD upgrade via a Mac... No, it doesn't 'Just Wor

Post by Mijzelf » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:33 am

You don't need the 'Starter Utility' at all. Just access it using a webbrowser, and use the webinterface to create a volume on the disk.

Pofadda

Post by Pofadda » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:28 pm

Thanks again for your help! My concern is whether the initial accessing of the NAS is made to on-chip firmware/OS or if the disk needs to be prepped with an OS to be seen. I imagine the former as it must be easier for the manufacturers that way.

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:07 pm

Actually both. A part of the firmware is normally installed on disk. This part is stored in flashrom, but it cannot run from there because the flashrom is awfully slow. When no disk is found, a ramdisk is used instead. This lowers the amount of available memory of course, but as this mode is only used to initialize a proper disk it doesn't matter.