General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:05 pm 

After purchasing the NSA-320, I installed two 240GB drives I had laying around to ensure that it worked before the return period expired. I have subsequently purchased two 3TB drives. one WD and one Seagate. I was able to replace each drive and successfully repair the RAID1 volume after each replacement. I now have a Healthy 228GB RAID1 volume that will not expand.

The expand icon is available and when selected, it scans the volume and gives me a fsck report but never expands the volume to fill the available 2.73 TB of space.

This is a basic install, no options changed with the V4.62(AFO.0) firmware.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:56 pm 

I actually had the exact same problem.

I went from a 1TB RAID1 to a 4TB Raid one, with two identical seagate HHD's.

Running Healthy but still with a 1TB partion and only runs a scan when I use the "expand" option.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:15 pm 

Bump - the same thing is happening to me. Something that seems so simple is not working very frustrating. What has been done to work around this.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:54 pm 

Did you also exchange a <=2TB disk by a >2TB disk? In that case I wonder if the partition table is the problem. If you have shell access, you can execute
Code:
fdisk -l
to see the partition tables.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:09 am 

Similar to OP but bigger. I had two 2TB drives set up as raid1 working 'healthy'. I swapped in a 4TB drive and did a repair, all good. Then swapped in the second 4TB drive did another repair, all healthy but only showing almost full 2TB still. So I executed an 'expand' and NSA320 did a scan but did not expand. Nothing I do (ANY AND ALL PERMUTATIONs will NOT do the expand). 2TB&4TB no expand option. One cloned 4TB = no expand option. Two 4TB fresh vol working raid1 then pop in the orig 2TB, shows 2 weak raid 1 vols and wont allow an expand in either direction. Something that should be so simple sux azz right now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:04 pm 

My theory is that, when adding a 2nd disk to an existing array, the firmware clones the partition table of the 1st disk. That way the firmware is sure the raid member partition has the right size.

That gives a problem when an MBR partition table is used (only suitable for disks <2TB), and the new disk is >2TB. The disk and partitions will be fine, but you can't enlarge the data partition beyond the 2TB barrier.
It's also not possible to convert the partition table to GPT, as that table uses more space, and so the existing partition have to move.

When the firmware writer didn't take care of this exception, the webinterface can not show the fault status, and the enlarging just fails silently.