Debian Wheezy on NSA-325

Marvell Kirkwood based
Mijzelf

Re: Debian Wheezy on NSA-325

Post by Mijzelf » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:15 pm

What kind of help are you searching for? So far you seem to know what you are doing.

addy75

Post by addy75 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:37 pm

Hello,

no, i really don't know what to do :cry:
Is Debian or Alarm the better way, what do you think?

How to install any Linux on the NAS using an 4TB HDD?
How to create an Hybrid-MBR and install the OS on the HDD?
Put the HDD in my PC and create the partitions? Is any Livelinux able to create the Hybrid-MBR?
As it seems to me Ubuntu isn't able to do it.

Or is the better to update the uboot?

These are the questions i've at the moment :?

dfarning

Post by dfarning » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:30 am

Hello all,

Sorry for starting a thread and disappearing. This thing has been such a fun gizmo that I forgot that I bought it as a tool to stick in a closet and serve files. So, I put it back together and stuck it under the desk.

The Goods:
1. It is stable. Three weeks with one scheduled reboot for a kernel update.
2. Meets my needs as a SOHO NAS.

The Not so Goods:
1. The Debian on NSA325 port is new. There are several things missing or at least quirky:
a. The watchdog timer - my biggest headache was the watchdog timer. Until I got the watchdog figured out, it kept restarting the device at weird (and seemingly random) times.
b. The boot software (u-boot) might have worked well in a very stable situation when the firmware was loaded from eMMC. But tends to be flaky when it has to deal with a wide variety of boot devices.
2. The documentation is primarily a discussion between developers. It can seem a bit overwhelming.

The take aways:
1. If you are motivated DIY type person and/or want to learn more about arm based servers this is a interesting project that results in a useful product.

2. Start small and plan your steps. Start by getting the system booting from a usb stick that is confirmed to work. I ran into a number of usb sticks which cause the watchdog to reboot when the root file system was not ready on time. Once you have the device booting reliable from the usb stick, try booting from a sata drive. Again, I ran into issues where the drive was not spun up in time and the watchdog would reboot the system which would corrupt the file system.

3. Expect to at least read the upstream development threads to keep track of progress. The are some talented people working on the problem noted above.... but it is still a work in progress.

dfarning

Post by dfarning » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:44 am

Is Debian or Alarm the better way, what do you think?
The are both very good distributions. Alarm is bleeding edge and debian is a bit slower. In the case of a server, I tend error on the side of caution and go stable.

How to install any Linux on the NAS using an 4TB HDD?
I would suggest running from a usb stick for now. Upsteam is working on a new boot loader but it is still in beta testing.

How to create an Hybrid-MBR and install the OS on the HDD?
Put the HDD in my PC and create the partitions? Is any Livelinux able to create the Hybrid-MBR?
Working with the hard drive was a pain in the butt until you get the tools figured out. At first, I had the most luck rebooting the device back to stock firmware and sshing into the device to manipulate the drive.

After a few days, I got a USB to SATA converter so that I could pull out the drive and work with it from my laptop.

If you want to boot from a hard drive, I would suggest using a second small drive for the os and leave you large drive alone for data. By the time you need a second data drive, the new uboot should be far enough along that you can put a small os partition on a drive in addition to the data partition.

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:08 am

addy75 wrote:How to create an Hybrid-MBR and install the OS on the HDD?
AFAIK there are no tools which can do that for you. You should create the partitions manually using a GPT partition editor. parted or gparted will do. Make sure the partitions needed by u-boot are completely below the 2TiB boundary. Then you take a lower level partition editor to create the Hybrid MBR. Here I wrote a bit about that.

sylvio2000

Post by sylvio2000 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:44 pm

Hello.
I just succcesfully finished instlling Debian and OMV on my NSA 325v2 :D
Now I would like to know what advantages I would have when installing kernel 3.16? For example the energy management does not work. If I press the power button the device does not shut down. Or if I schedule an event it does not work.
Does usb 3.0 work with a newer kernel?

addy75

Post by addy75 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:42 pm

Does OMV work on your box?

I tried to install OMV on the 3.14 / 3.16 kernel. The box is getting very slow, i cannot connect via network anymore (ssh),
ping is possible.
Connection to the webinterface of OMV shows the error 403.

Not working now:
-> ssh
-> OMV Webinterface
-> hdd spindown
-> HDD / USB Led

i hope to get it working

addy75

Post by addy75 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:42 pm

Today i replaced the usb-stick with an intel ssd disk.
The duration of updating debian with installing omv was about 30minutes, with the usb-stick abour 2h.

And.... omv works perfect.
Now i'm going to try to make the led / the acpi (HDD powerdown) working.

sylvio2000

Post by sylvio2000 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:58 am

After reading that a regular USB Stick will get corrupted when using it with OMV I tried a SLC USB stick which should solve this problem.

The problem is this stick does work with your installation method. When booting debian I dont get to "root@debian". The boot procedure is always repeating :(

Any suggestions what I can do?

bitblit

Post by bitblit » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:17 pm

First of all thanks for the article on the wiki, very instructive :)

Got some questions:

in the "configure the bootloader" section:

what's the use of the following commands?

Code: Select all

>> resetenv
>> reset
>> saveenv
>> reset
If I understand correctly the script on the USB is picked up automatically (http://zyxel.nas-central.org/wiki/Usb_key_func.sh) even without the commands above?

If I want to switch back to the stock software, what do I need to do?
My guess is by changing

fw_setenv bootcmd 'run to_linux'
to

fw_setenv bootcmd 'run to_stock'
on the USB?

Last question: anyone know if the USB 3.0 is working with the latest 3.17 kernel rootfs?

Thanks!

adrianTNT

Post by adrianTNT » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:21 pm

I understand these solutions store the Debian on the HDD, how does this affect the raid features, can raid still work? How can it be enabled ?

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:18 pm

The same way as in all Debian installations. Use mdadm to create the array, and configure it to re-assemble it on boot. I only think the boot partition itself cannot be in a raid array.

Odradek

Post by Odradek » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Hello, I just received the NSA-325. Does anyone have photos/instructions about dismantling the case to reach the pcb?
Aside from removing the lower screws, do not know how to do without damaging it. :lol:

bitblit

Post by bitblit » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:19 pm

Odradek wrote:Hello, I just received the NSA-325. Does anyone have photos/instructions about dismantling the case to reach the pcb?
Aside from removing the lower screws, do not know how to do without damaging it. :lol:
If I remember correctly you should be able to slide the left part of the case (the part surrounding the disks) from the right part.
(after removing the bottom screws ofc :) ).

bitblit

Post by bitblit » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:21 pm

I tried the lastest rootfs (Debian-3.18.5-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2) (http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096), but I get this:
## Booting image at 02000000 ...
Image Name: Linux-3.18.5-kirkwood-tld-1
Created: 2015-02-08 9:02:01 UTC
Image Type: ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
Data Size: 2865600 Bytes = 2.7 MB
Load Address: 00008000
Entry Point: 00008000
Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK
## Loading Ramdisk Image at 01100000 ...
Image Name: initramfs-3.18.5-kirkwood-tld-1
Created: 2015-02-19 1:49:36 UTC
Image Type: ARM Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip compressed)
Data Size: 6535220 Bytes = 6.2 MB
Load Address: 00000000
Entry Point: 00000000
Verifying Checksum ... OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

Error: unrecognized/unsupported machine ID (r1 = 0x0000118f).

Available machine support:

ID (hex) NAME
ffffffff Generic DT based system
ffffffff Marvell Kirkwood (Flattened Device Tree)

Please check your kernel config and/or bootloader.
Anyone any idea? :)