NAS 326 - "Quicktime Required"

Marvell Kirkwood based
DaveInVA

NAS 326 - "Quicktime Required"

Post by DaveInVA » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:14 pm

As there doesn't seem to be a forum for the 326 model I am posting this question here.

I recently purchased a NAS326 and have been setting it up mostly with no problems so far. The problem is that whenever I use a browser to go to the music share I get an error that says that "Quicktime 7.6.4 is required" and has a link. If you click in the link its a dead page at Apple.com. I already have Quicktime installed on the Mac I am using. I am not sure if this error is because it wants that particular version on my Mac or if its supposed to be somehow installed on the NAS. I can find no mention of this anywhere in the PDF manuals etc. I see no way to install it on the NAS.
So how do I get rid of this error? And where does it want it installed? The now playing doesn't work so I am guess it needs the Quicktime for that but how do I get it there?

Thanks,

Dave

DaveInVA

Re: NAS 326 - "Quicktime Required"

Post by DaveInVA » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:45 am

Nobody knows why it asks for this or why it gives a dead link or where or how its to be installed? Again my Mac already has it installed but it still asks for it to be installed every time the music share is accessed? Now I know why these are on sale so cheap, the support is literally non existent for these.

MrDini

Post by MrDini » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:43 am

Hi!

I don't know what is the answer, but I know an another way to listen music, from the browser...

...which is very simple. :) You just have to enable the web sharing at the nas's webgui with the music folder. After it, you Can access the folder at http://nasip/MyWeb/music/ (if the music sharing named "music").
Thanks nas-central the lot of help! :)

DaveInVA

Post by DaveInVA » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:41 am

Oh I know how to play the music from the browser and from various players like VLC, JRiver etc. The problem is whenever you browse to the music share the NAD326 displays an error that thats "Quicktime 7.6.4. is required" and has a suppled link that goes to a dead apple.com page. I just want to know how to make this go away so I don't encounter it every time I access the music share with a browser.

Thanks,
Dave

MrDini

Post by MrDini » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:13 am

whenever you browse to the music share

What Do You mean at music share? How did You opened it? Via the nas's webgui? Or by the program?

Ahh, sorry, I misunderstood You...

So, I think You access the music share via the playzone from a webbrowser, aren't You? In this case, when You open up a music for listening it will try to load the music on Your computer via the Quicktime webplugin. And if error occurs, the nas says Wuictime required.

So You Don't have to install to the nas, the quicktime (which is impossible I think), because you don't need it. At the nas side it is just an embed code which starts Your computer's Qt with the music path attribute.

And why not works, if it is installed already for Your Mac? I think the Apple changed sg at the webplugin, or Your browser disabled the plugin by default, or the nas checks the Qt version. So please try to downgrade the Qt to 7.6.4 (Google is Your friend) and check Your browser's plugin policies.

DaveInVA

Post by DaveInVA » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:08 pm

Yes it only happens if you use a browser to enter the music share via the NAS Webgui. I don't need or want it to play music with Quicktime. It gives this same error when using Linux also which is what I mostly use. And of course there is no Quicktime for Linux. I only use the browser to go in and examine the share. I have this share mounted automatically on both Linux and Mac and mostly use JRiver Media Center 22 for playback and cd ripping to the music share.
I was just hoping there was a way to turn off that Quicktime required error.
My other question would be is how would the built in "Now Playing" feature ever work if there is no way to install a player on the NAS itself and it has no native player? Obviously the "Now Playing" feature is useless. Why don't they either fix it with a firmware release or just eliminate it completely? Just makes the NAS seem buggy and not complete.

Oh, and QT 7.6.4. is ancient and won't run on newer 64bit Mac OS's anyways:
Note: QuickTime 7.6.4 is for computers using Mac OS X v10.4.11, Mac OS X v10.5 through v10.5.8, Windows XP SP2 or later, or Windows Vista.

I am running Yosemite (10.10.5), it won't run on that anyways.

Makes me wonder how long its been since Zyxel's firmware has really been updated. Seems like they wote it back in 2009 when 7.6.4 came out.

Thanks,
Dave

MrDini

Post by MrDini » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:59 pm

Yes, I (also think) the webgui is buggy and old.

So I disabled the whole original apache server, and I installed a webmin alternative and I wrote a custom webgui for me. I usualy stream music and videos by the apache's built-in webDAV server. With a custom layout (I used CSS) it is very cool. And with barmalej2's mpd package, I Can use the nas as remoteable music player too. The only thing, which is missing is a virtualizer, but I am not experienced in it, So I Can't wrote that...

BTW the final result is really cool, but I spent a lot of time to do that, and it is far from perfect.

And You Can also run a webDAV server, or access the music via web share from the browser. And You Can forgot the orig playzone! ;)

Ps: sorry for the off msg... I have no idea to solve that. :(