ffpstick works once (only once) after rebooting (NSA326)

Marvell Kirkwood based
Smiff

ffpstick works once (only once) after rebooting (NSA326)

Post by Smiff » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:17 pm

fw 5.10 (stock).
FFPStick-2015-10-12.zip

have tried 2 sticks, same results.

the box reboots, repartitions, starts ok, can ssh.

reboot, lose telnet and ssh, have to reuse telnet backdoor.

going around in circles here. should i give up on stick and use the zypkg? i wanted something that worked independant of hdd.

thanks in advance.

i notice its first FFP with 326 support. anything newer floating around??

Mijzelf

Re: ffpstick works once (only once) after rebooting (NSA326)

Post by Mijzelf » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:00 am

Smiff wrote:i notice its first FFP with 326 support. anything newer floating around??
No.

Your problem is not clear to me. The stick works, and then the box reboots. Then it doesn't work, until you reboot again. Right?

If that is the case, why does it reboot the first time? I guess FFP doesn't do so. It there a difference between the first and second reboot? I know in some cases the Timing Issue only hits on cold boots, or just on warm boots.
have to reuse telnet backdoor.
AFAIK on the 326 you can enable both telnetd and sshd in the firmware. In System->Terminal on the dashboard.
i wanted something that worked independant of hdd.
You can have a look at the Entware-ng stick. It's way of being started by the firmware is identical to the FFP-stick, but if somehow the existence of FFP causes a reboot, Entware-ng might be the solution.

(Entware-ng is for more reasons a better choice. It's newer, and actively maintained, while the base repository of FFP is unmaintained since 2012.)

Smiff

Post by Smiff » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:50 am

thanks, no FFP doesn’t cause reboot, it simply doesn’t start properly (except the first time!).

the stick partitions are mounted correctly.

because i am short of time i went for the zypkg install, which seems to work fine and after rebooting.

i am doing warm reboots only, from the dash.

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:15 pm

Ah, I see. Interestingly. Apparently nobody uses an FFP-Stick in combination with a 326, there was a serious bug in it. During the repartitioning the file nas3xx_check_file should be preserved. And it wasn't on the list.

Can you retry with FFPStick-2016-09-24.zip?