OpenVPN on NAS326

Marvell Kirkwood based
MrDini

Re: OpenVPN on NAS326

Post by MrDini » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:10 pm

@Mijzelf, how did You changed the vmlinux's max size?
Thanks nas-central the lot of help! :)

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:15 pm

Not. Actually I have no idea where your error comes from. I just compiled the module:

Code: Select all

make drivers/net/tun.ko

derebo

Post by derebo » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi,

I assume an advanced understanding of the intallation and configuration process is shared by you. However, could you please give some instructions (no matter how simple) to have it installed and running? I managed to install OpenVPN on Raspbian (Raspberry Pi Debian) so a basic how-to to start with might come in hepful.

Thank you in advance and regards!

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:46 pm

Basically install Entware-ng. Use opkg to install openvpn-openssl or openvpn-polarssl, and to install zyxel-modules-3.10.39.

Then configure it. The modules package contains tun.ko, which is needed to create a virtual network port.

derebo

Post by derebo » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:43 pm

@Mijzelf Thank you for your message. Just before proceeding, can Entware-ng be uninstalled and leave no trace? Say, to restore NAS to pre-Entware-ng state. If installed in USB stick, is it easier to uninstall? Eg. Just remove/format USB stick and that's all?

Uninstalling OpenVPN (for trial and error tests) I think it would be as simple as:

opkp remove packagename
Thank you for your reply in advance,

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:44 pm

Both the zypkg and the stick can be uninstalled without leaving a trace. (Well, to be honest the firmware package manager will keep a copy of the .zypkg file somewhere, it does so for all packages you install).

Of course the stick is traceless, when pulled.

Theoretically it is possible to let Entware-ng misbehave in such a way that it kills the webinterface of the firmware. In that case pulling the stick is simpler than disabling the zypkg.

'opkg remove packagename' will uninstall the package, but only the files it installed. If you added config files, they will not be deleted. So removing and reinstalling a package will not always guarantee a clean install.

derebo

Post by derebo » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:14 am

Thank you for your explanation. I chose the stick install. When ssh'ing and on the prompt

BusyBox v1.19.4 (2016-11-10 14:10:25 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

~ $
I know opkg must be installed as issuing the command produces a help output. However, please mind:

~ $ opkg list
Collected errors:
 * opkg_conf_load: Could not create lock file /opt/var/lock/opkg.lock: Permission denied.
~ $ opkg list-installed
Collected errors:
 * opkg_conf_load: Could not create lock file /opt/var/lock/opkg.lock: Permission denied.
~ $
Changing vervosity setting to something more meaningful...

~ $ opkg list --verbosity=2
opkg_conf_parse_file: Loading conf file /opt/etc/opkg.conf.
Collected errors:
~ $ opkg list-installed --verbosity=2
opkg_conf_parse_file: Loading conf file /opt/etc/opkg.conf.
Collected errors:
~ $
opkg.conf

~ $ cat /opt/etc/opkg.conf
src/gz packages http://pkg.entware.net/binaries/armv7
src/gz Mijzelf http://downloads.zyxel.nas-central.org/Users/Mijzelf/Entware-ng/binaries/armv7
dest root /
dest ram /opt/tmp
lists_dir ext /opt/var/opkg-lists
option tmp_dir /opt/tmp
~ $
May it be the case that it cannot write to the stick? Plase, any help is welcome. Thank you in advance.

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:32 am

su
opkg list