NSA 325 stuck in Boot Loop

Marvell Kirkwood based
MrDini

Re: NSA 325 stuck in Boot Loop

Post by MrDini » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:46 pm

Hi,

I experienced the same thing using PuTTy, under Windows. I have a PL2302 TTL cable and the driver that I've found not worked correctly. That's why I saw a blank window. Because I have some Linux machines aswell, I tried to install and configure minicom on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (x64) PC, and yes, it worked. :) So you Can also try a live linux distribution and see what happens there.

Maybe your box is not completely dead, because the issues that you have experienced aren't seem like software issues... :(
Thanks nas-central the lot of help! :)

billbillw

Post by billbillw » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:00 pm

MrDini wrote:Hi,

I experienced the same thing using PuTTy, under Windows. I have a PL2302 TTL cable and the driver that I've found not worked correctly. That's why I saw a blank window. Because I have some Linux machines aswell, I tried to install and configure minicom on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (x64) PC, and yes, it worked. :) So you Can also try a live linux distribution and see what happens there.

Maybe your box is not completely dead, because the issues that you have experienced aren't seem like software issues... :(
Hey, I just now saw this. I guess I wasn't noticing the comments went to a 2nd page. Thanks for that advice. I will try again. I have a Linux server (Proxmox) running Ubuntu containers...Might be easier to just run a live on my laptop though.

billbillw

Post by billbillw » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:07 pm

billbillw wrote:
MrDini wrote:Hi,

Hey, I just now saw this. I guess I wasn't noticing the comments went to a 2nd page. Thanks for that advice. I will try again. I have a Linux server (Proxmox) running Ubuntu containers...Might be easier to just run a live on my laptop though.
I tried today on a spare laptop, I went ahead and loaded full Ubuntu 16.04LTS, tried to follow the minicom setup, etc. Didn't get anywhere with it. It just seems to lock up. Tried also with Screen, no luck. Tried Linux version of PuTTY. It gave a fatal error when I try to start the serial terminal.

At this point, I'm not sure if the adapter is bad or if the NSA325 is just borked beyond fixing.

MrDini

Post by MrDini » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:11 pm

You have to check what is your TTL cable's given device node. For me it was /dev/ttyUSB0, So I had to execute a 'minicom -S' and change there the default tty0 devnode.

Then if you got an empty screen that means your connection was successful. Otherwise you get an error in the center of your terminal screen.
Thanks nas-central the lot of help! :)

billbillw

Post by billbillw » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:32 pm

MrDini wrote:You have to check what is your TTL cable's given device node. For me it was /dev/ttyUSB0, So I had to execute a 'minicom -S' and change there the default tty0 devnode.

Then if you got an empty screen that means your connection was successful. Otherwise you get an error in the center of your terminal screen.
Yes, I made those changes, following along with this minicom instruction page:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Minicom

I thought it instructed me to use ttyS0, but I may have read that wrong. I'll go back and try with ttyUSB0.

I also went ahead a ordered a real FTDI TTL-232R-3V3 cable for ~$5 after an eBay coupon. Ultimately, it will be much easier to use compared to the open board/pins that I was using.

billbillw

Post by billbillw » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:50 am

billbillw wrote:
MrDini wrote:You have to check what is your TTL cable's given device node. For me it was /dev/ttyUSB0, So I had to execute a 'minicom -S' and change there the default tty0 devnode.

Yes, I made those changes, following along with this minicom instruction page:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Minicom

I thought it instructed me to use ttyS0, but I may have read that wrong. I'll go back and try with ttyUSB0.

I also went ahead a ordered a real FTDI TTL-232R-3V3 cable for ~$5 after an eBay coupon. Ultimately, it will be much easier to use compared to the open board/pins that I was using.
Tried again with minicom, switched to ttyUSB0. Still no output. I think this thing is really dead.

billbillw

Post by billbillw » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:26 pm

Does anyone want to try resurrecting this thing? At this point, I'm calling it quits. The NAS is complete, with rails, power supply, original box. Pay for packing and shipping and it's yours. I'd rather do that than recycle it. Even if you can't get it going, it might be nice to have a spare set of rails/screws, cover, fan, etc.