NSA 325 stuck in Boot Loop

Marvell Kirkwood based
G0ldenKnight

NSA 325 stuck in Boot Loop

Post by G0ldenKnight » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:45 pm

Hello everyone,

my nsa 325 v1 keeps restarting after its been powered on for like 20 - 30 seconds.
i either cant reach it over web, since it does not even have an ip adress requested nor it reacts to the reset button (doesnt matter how long i press it, no beeps coming). :?
It shows a red led at hdd2, thats why i tried already to boot it without any plugged in hdd, it still shows a red light at hdd2... which seems quiet strange to me.

Do you guys know any other way to connect to the nsa and reset it or install a different firmware to it?

Thanks so far

Mijzelf

Re: NSA 325 stuck in Boot Loop

Post by Mijzelf » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:29 am

Do you by chance have 'scheduled shutdown' activated? It's known that is sometimes gives problems. If that is true, it can be solved.
You can create an 'Universal stick' using the 'network telnet stop' script. If it can stop the bootloop and give you telnet access, the problem is solvable, although I'll have to think about the exact procedure.

G0ldenKnight

Post by G0ldenKnight » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:49 am

umm, i dont have the scheduled shutdown activated
thanks for ur reply

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:37 pm

Basically you've got 2 possibilities. It's a software problem, or it's a hardware problem. If it's a hardware problem, there is not much you can do, unless you've got golden hands.

A software problem divides in 2, degraded flash, or b0rked up configuration. If the flash is degraded you should reflash it. If the 'network_telnet_stop' script does not work for you, the only way to do so is using serial and the bootloader. Basically you have to upload a kernel using tftp, boot that, and let it flash firmware from an USB stick. More here.

If it's configuration, then the 'network_telnet_stop' script should definitely work, as it's invoked before the configuration is read.

billbillw

Post by billbillw » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:07 pm

Necro-Post here, but I started having almost this exact same issue last night with my NSA325 v1. It was random, not associated with any firmware upgrade, reboot, etc. I did not have the sleep/power down feature enabled.

My problem is Blue light only on main power switch for about 20-30 seconds, drives spin up. Then the light goes out, drives lose power, and then a second or two later, light back on and drives start to spin again. No other lights. The rear fan does not come on. I tried another fan and same result. Tried battery out, USB firmware recovery, neither worked. I will be looking for some type of TTL cable to serial into it, but honestly, I don't know how much effort I want to put into this old thing since I had already begun to build a full blown server for the house. I'm suspecting that it may be hardware since the fan doesn't even spin, but I'll defer that until someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

billbillw

Post by billbillw » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:41 pm

billbillw wrote:Necro-Post here, but I started having almost this exact same issue last night with my NSA325 v1. It was random, not associated with any firmware upgrade, reboot, etc. I did not have the sleep/power down feature enabled.

My problem is Blue light only on main power switch for about 20-30 seconds, drives spin up. Then the light goes out, drives lose power, and then a second or two later, light back on and drives start to spin again. No other lights. The rear fan does not come on. I tried another fan and same result. Tried battery out, USB firmware recovery, neither worked. I will be looking for some type of TTL cable to serial into it, but honestly, I don't know how much effort I want to put into this old thing since I had already begun to build a full blown server for the house. I'm suspecting that it may be hardware since the fan doesn't even spin, but I'll defer that until someone more knowledgeable can chime in.
No thoughts on whether this is hardware or corrupt flash? I have my server up and running, but it would be nice to get the NSA325 running to have a backup.

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:47 pm

Have you measured the power supply while trying to boot the box? Maybe it doesn't have enough juice to spin up the disks, which causes the voltage to collapse.

billbillw

Post by billbillw » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:24 pm

Mijzelf wrote:Have you measured the power supply while trying to boot the box? Maybe it doesn't have enough juice to spin up the disks, which causes the voltage to collapse.
I have not measured that yet. The drives spin up fully though. They are running for about 30 seconds before it reboots.

EDIT: Finally got around to ordering a TTL cable to see the boot process. Will update when I get a chance to try that.

billbillw

Post by billbillw » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:13 pm

billbillw wrote:
Mijzelf wrote:Have you measured the power supply while trying to boot the box? Maybe it doesn't have enough juice to spin up the disks, which causes the voltage to collapse.
I have not measured that yet. The drives spin up fully though. They are running for about 30 seconds before it reboots.

EDIT: Finally got around to ordering a TTL cable to see the boot process. Will update when I get a chance to try that.
Still waiting for the TTL cable. I tried putting a new battery in since the old one only measured 2.9V (new battery measured 3.3V). Didn't make a difference. Also tried booting without disks (lower current draw), same thing. I did notice that the fan does actually spin up, just at a slow RPM.

billbillw

Post by billbillw » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:28 am

Well, I'm not sure I'm doing the TTL serial connection with Putty correctly, but it doesn't show anything. I have a little FTDI board with 6 pins. I wired the 4 as shown on the various diagrams. When I hook it up, the blue light comes on. A little red light is shown on the board and it is detected by windows as FTDI on COM3. I configure Putty for Com3, 115200, 8, 1, no handshake. Boot. Nothing changes on the screen. I can hear the fan going off and back on at the same frequency that it was rebooting before...about every 30 seconds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:49 pm

Wired 4? You should only connect 3 wires, GND, RX and TX. If that doesn't give any output, exchange the RX and TX.

You can test your cable by shorting RX and TX. PuTTY should give local echo.

billbillw

Post by billbillw » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:59 pm

Mijzelf wrote:Wired 4? You should only connect 3 wires, GND, RX and TX. If that doesn't give any output, exchange the RX and TX.

You can test your cable by shorting RX and TX. PuTTY should give local echo.
Ok...so it doesn't need the VCC (3.3V)? I'll try again with out that connected. I will also test the cable. I found a detailed writeup on testing the FTDI setup.

billbillw

Post by billbillw » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:42 am

Back to testing. I followed some cable test procedures from here:
http://www.ladyada.net/wiki/ftditest
Everything seems to test good with the cable according to those tests.

Shorted TX/RX in Putty and it did local echo.

Still not seeing anything at boot. Am I missing something?

Here is what I'm doing:
RX, TX, Ground attached to pins according to this diagram http://zyxel.nas-central.org/wiki/Serial_port_(NSA325)
No longer connecting the 3.3V pin.

Using Putty release 0.67 (EDIT: Tried also with latest 0.70, no change)
Open Putty, Session set to Serial, COM3, 115200 baud,
Serial verify COM3, baud, Data bits 8, Stop bits 1, Parity None, Flow Control None.
Open...
Plug in NSA325 and wait.

Nothing shows on Putty terminal window. Wait 10+ minutes, still nothing. Same as the Putty window image above.

billbillw

Post by billbillw » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:54 am

I've tried a few more times, swapping TX and RX pins. No difference. I looked around and I have lots of 12V power supplies, but none fit the pin. I measured the original power supply and it reads 12.3V. Now, that doesn't tell me if there is huge ripple or anything strange. I will keep looking for another power supply to test, but at this point, I'm wondering if:

Any ideas or is this scrap?

billbillw

Post by billbillw » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:23 pm

So almost four weeks and no other ideas? I guess I'll recycle it. A shame, really. It was working great until...it died.