General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:33 pm 

How long should the backup take from RAID1 array, 1.24 TB used to 2 TB USB3 external HDD? Backup type is rsync. Now it's been about 24 hours and just 700 GB is transferred.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:08 pm 

I have seen rsync operate about 6 to 15 MBps. The variables are the speed of the source disk, the CPU/RAM capability of the NAS, the speed of the backup device. You say it is USB 3 but is the port it is plugged into also USB 3? 700 GB in 24 hours works out to 8 MBps which is in the range I have seen.

I have also found that an rsync/mirror runs faster than a straight rsync. This is worth doing for the first backup copy even if you switch to rsync for later updates.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:46 pm 

Thanks for the reply. Today the process completed, I think the total duration was about ~40 hrs (I cannot check the exact amount due to timezone mismatches). Yeah, it was plugged to USB3 slot (in front).

How can you do both rsync&mirror? I've following options to select. And I selected the last one.

Quote:
Backup Type
-Archive
--Full
--Incremental
-Synchronization
-Rsync

Then a stupid question - does the rsync ever touch the SOURCE files (the files that are on my NAS) or always only the TARGET files (the USB disk). So, if I edit the files in USB disk rsync has copied (which I should never do), would it make those changes to same files present on the NAS when I do the next backup?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:27 am 

If you select synchronization then it opens sub categories of publish or mirror. The "mirror" does a full copy every time. This is the same, though faster, on the first copy. After you want to run rsync so only the changes are copied. For me the nightly rsync typically takes less than a minute to run.

Rsync only works from source to destination. It will not change the files on the NAS. If you were to edit the files on the USB drive then the next rsync would overwrite the changes you made with a fresh copy from the NAS drive. You would loose the changes to the USB drive.