General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:22 am 

I am experimenting with a battery backup for the NSA310. I have seen quite a few of the Belkin battery backup units (BU3DC001-12V) as surplus. They were used to backup digital home phone connections so the customer would still have dial tone if the power failed. They output 12V, just like the normal power supply, and have a compatible plug. If you are looking to have something that will keep your NAS stable when the power is interrupted then consider one of these.

The grey one is good for 3.5 Amps so it could handle a one or two bay NAS. There is also a smaller black unit only good for two amps that should handle a single drive NAS.

I don't see any way to interface the two so the NAS will know when the battery is running low and shut down. Still better than glitching the NAS when the power flickers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:24 am 

Aguirre wrote:
I don't see any way to interface the two so the NAS will know when the battery is running low and shut down.
Does the battery /have/ an interface for that?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:35 am 

The NAS uses a USB connection to interface with a UPS. That seems to be the standard now. The battery backup unit has no USB connection. For the original application there would be no purpose as there was no need for a controlled shutdown.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:03 pm 

According to the photo's on eBay, that Belkin thing has a led which starts flashing when the battery is low. It shouldn't be too complicated to use a microcontroller to detect the flanks, and virtually push the power button. But it involves some soldering, of course.