General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:54 pm 

Hello everyone,

I have been a long time reader of the forums but never had the reason to have account until now.

I own NSA 325v2 with 2x3TB WD drives connected in RAID1 (mirroring) for maximum security. I had the device for about a year until now and everything was working fine. I have been using the device mainly to stream my DVD rips via HTPC/Kodi on my TV.

My problem is that out of the blue almost all my files disappeared from the drive as if someone deleted them. The root folder structure of the drive is still the same, (admin, backup, video, music etc) but all the folders are empty with the exception of admin and backup). I've checked the drives and in the smart utility shows them as healthy with 97% free space. I can still browse them from all my devices, still have FFP and the MetaRepo, but the Plex Server somehow got uninstalled.

I am now looking to recover the files with the most painless way. Something to undo the deletion of the files.

I have read some post here and made a bootable ubuntu disk to use it for extundelete, photorec but I do not have external drive where I can recover the files yet.

As far as I am aware no one except me has access to the device and it cannot be accessed outside my network.

Is it possible that both of the drives failed at the same time or got corrupted/degraded? The NAS enclosure and two hard drives are still under a warranty and I can RMA them but the problem is that I want my files back as it took me months to put all my media inside.

Any help will be appreciated
Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:22 pm 

Quote:
Is it possible that both of the drives failed at the same time or got corrupted/degraded?
Very unlikely. If one of the disk fails, the array is degraded, but you still have all your data. If both disks fail, the volume is down, and you don't have access to any files anymore.

Did you have a power outage? That /can/ damage parts of the filesystem.

If you have shell access, check the directory /i-data/md0/lost+found. That might contain your files.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:41 am 

Quote:
Did you have a power outage? That /can/ damage parts of the filesystem.

Not that I am aware of.

Quote:
If you have shell access, check the directory /i-data/md0/lost+found. That might contain your files.

Sorry if this sounds stupid but how can I get shell access, or get into lost+found folder?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:15 pm 

Normally I'd advice to install the ssh package, but it will be installed on harddisk, which is not a good idea, at the moment. So I recommend to create an FFP-Stick. This will give you a login-less telnet shell.
To use that, you need a telnet client. If you use Windows, you can use PuTTY.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:17 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
Normally I'd advice to install the ssh package, but it will be installed on harddisk, which is not a good idea, at the moment. So I recommend to create an FFP-Stick. This will give you a login-less telnet shell.
To use that, you need a telnet client. If you use Windows, you can use PuTTY.

I am not sure if I am using the right command but it outputs results which is:

root@NSA325-v2:~# ls -l /i-data/md0/lost+found
total 0

I guess I need some more serious Recovery tools and process.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:38 am 

Bummer.

Some time ago I compiled Photorec & Testdisk for ffp. You can install them on your FFP stick using slacker. Don't know the exact command at the moment something like 'slacker -ia´ if that doesn't work, try 'slacker -?' or just ślacker.

Photorec can recover a lot of filetypes, not only photos. You'll need to write them elsewhere, so it would be handy if you can connect an usb disk. Photorec has one big problem, it's a bare metal recoverer, which means it doesn't need help of the filesystem, and it won't use it either. It recovers the files, not the metadata from filesystem, like timestamp, filename, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:29 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
Bummer.

Photorec can recover a lot of filetypes, not only photos. You'll need to write them elsewhere, so it would be handy if you can connect an usb disk. Photorec has one big problem, it's a bare metal recoverer, which means it doesn't need help of the filesystem, and it won't use it either. It recovers the files, not the metadata from filesystem, like timestamp, filename, etc.

It managed to recover files but lot of them were just corrupted/glitched. Perhaps it is not that good for big video files. I guess I will start from scratch and rip all the movies and music once again and do backup from time to time on external drive.

Should I downgrade from V4.81(AALS.0) to V4.80(AALS1C0) or stay on V4.81? I've read somewhere that the latest firmware is worse. I use my device mainly as a media center in combination with Plex/Kodi. Any tools that I should install like FFP/Entware in order to keep myself safe from losing data in future?

Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:58 pm 

Photorec can recover big files fine, but it can't handle fragmented files. And big files have a bigger chance to be fragmented.

Quote:
Any tools that I should install like FFP/Entware in order to keep myself safe from losing data in future?
That tools itself won't keep you from loosing data. They will just sit there and do nothing. When you can find why you lost your data, it might be possible to prevent that by creating some maintenance scripts.

Futher you can automate your backups, if no manual intervention is needed. (To a 2nd nas, or to an always connected USB disk. Although the latter is not recommended)

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:53 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
Futher you can automate your backups, if no manual intervention is needed. (To a 2nd nas, or to an always connected USB disk. Although the latter is not recommended)

Not sure if I should open a new thread but I taught you might be able to help. I am trying to do a Full Archive backup with the official BackupPlanner package on to an external hard drive. I made several attempts to do a full backup but the process gets stuck at 99.990%. I left it for couple of days and it was still stuck. I have about 1.4 TB data that I am trying to back up. I can select:
Quote:
Backup Type
-Archive
--Full
--Incremental
-Synchronization
-Rsync

How much space I should have on the hard drive for the backup? Which of the options is the best for me to create a full backup of the drive to an external drive and have that as a restore point if needed?

Thank you