General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: VPN on NSA325
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:50 pm 

I recently subscribed to PrivateInternetAccess.

I got it up and running on my DD-WRT router, but immediately noticed some issues. First, when the VPN is running, I have no access to my Bank of America account. I can live with that. Second, and far more distressing, is that my 40 Mbit connection was immediately reduced to ~10Mbit, regardless of which server I chose.

As per the company's website, it may be that my router doesn't have the power to crunch all of the numbers required.

Since my real interest in a VPN is for download privacy on my NAS, 'm now looking at the possibility of running OpenVPN on my NSA325.

I already have Entware installed, and I see the appropriate package that would need to be installed.

I'm a little hesitant to jump right in due to my extremely limited Linux experience.

With lots of help from the members here, I've been able to get NZBGet and Sickrage running through Entware.

Is there info available to help me configure OpenSSL? Also, am I likely to notice an improvement in d/l speeds? If the price of anonymity is to lose 75% of my bandwidth, I'm not interested.

Post subject: Re: VPN on NSA325
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:48 am 

I have a different problem. Transmission cannot start torrents when My NAS is behind VPN. The port is closed (VPN does not forward). If I start torrents without VPN and afterwards go behind VPN everything works. It seems that Transmission needs port forwarding to just to start. Is it true? Other bittorrent clients running from windows start without problems behind VPN.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:57 pm 

I’ve never tried to configure OpenVPN directly, but my VPN app works great with no speeds affecting. I’ve used this article for boosting connection speed. Hope it’ll be helpful for you.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:53 am 

Solved updating Transmission from 2.82 to 2.92